205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
anyone heard of this chap called Steven Abraham?
(stock image. not sure of what colour his is and what he has on it eg: accesories, saddle, rack etc)

personally i reckon he will fail as many people have tried and failed on modern super light weght titanium and carbon fiber since Tommy's 1939 record on a heavy steel frame 3 speed bike with no garmin or spd pedals etc, what do you reckon
Cheers Ed

I know and have ridden with Steve a few times and so have a good few others on here.
He will not fail.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cheers Ed

Your other thread has been merged with the main one.

young Ed

Veteran
I know and have ridden with Steve a few times and so have a good few others on here.
He will not fail.
fair enough, maybe i'm just pessimistic then? i was just going by the fact that various people have tried since 1939 and failed, both keen cyclists who thought they would 'give it a bash' an those really serious about it who have done very extensive training and they have all failed despite their modern bikes, gadgets and nutritionists etc

also not sure weather or not he has been recording all his rides recently or not on strava as on strava he only has 7 rides in the last 4 weeks and various other stats aren't looking incredible but i will just shut up and wait and see i guess!
i'm sure it's already been posted here but her's his strava:
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/steven-abraham-challenges-tommy-godwin.171875/
Already a long running post About Steve and the attempt HERE
a mod has now thread merged my thread into this one, somehow i missed this thread? :tongue:

Nobody ever really believes one particular story I have about Steve. Early in 2012 a number of the N Yorks gang (and associates) from elsewhere went to a camping barn in Kildale for a weekend of snow, silly bike rides, singing and generally being sociable. Steve rode up (from Milton Keynes AFAIK) to join the fun, got fed quite a lot, had a few hours kip and then set off and rode back south again.

So far, so utterly typical, yes?

Except for the fact that at one point in the evening, eventually, I offered him a(nother) slice of cake and he uttered the possibly-never-before-heard-phrase, "No thanks, I've had enough for now."

It's true, I swear. So much CAIK that even Teethgrinder couldn't eat it all. We actually managed to fill him up.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Apologies if the question was unclear, of the support Teethgrinder is getting, what did Tommy not get?

Tommy did his ride 70 odd years ago.
A lot has changed in the meantime to make an attempt on the record less difficult.
Equipment, nutrition, communications, logistics etc. have all vastly improved.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Tommy did his ride 70 odd years ago.
A lot has changed in the meantime to make an attempt on the record less difficult.
Equipment, nutrition, communications, logistics etc. have all vastly improved.
Yebbut - the roads have changed a wee bit too ... more traffic, considerably greater need for aware-/ alert-ness ... to mention but 2.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Godwin also was paced by some of Raleigh's pro riders for at least part of the year as well.

screenman

Legendary Member
Traffic lights, I do not think Steve is being paced either which I think happened in the first 6 months. Still awesome which ever way you look at it. Be interesting to see if he will carry on for the 100,000 as well.

We maybe should be interested in the guy doing the same on the other side of the pond.

Brief mention must be given to Walter Greaves, the one-armed communist amateur from Yorkshire, who rode a customised gripshift bicycle to a staggering 45,383 miles in 1936. Greaves rode on through harsh weather, numerous crashes and a brief period in hospital finishing on new year’s eve, having ridden an average of over 130 miles per day.

young Ed

Veteran
Steve doesn't do Strava. Not everyone does.
You call Tommy Godwin a legend. Steve is a Legend in long distance cycling circles even before he strarted this attempt.
fair enough, TBH it's probably because i knew of Godwin's achievements and knew of him long before i heard of Abraham a few days ago

as i say, i will keep on following him on strava and just wait until the end of the year. i think he's uploading the whole lot to strava hopefully day by day as he has uploaded the first 2 days so far and it would seem like a simple logical way to keep track of it as he has a garmin edge 1000
Cheers Ed

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
fair enough, TBH it's probably because i knew of Godwin's achievements and knew of him long before i heard of Abraham a few days ago

as i say, i will keep on following him on strava and just wait until the end of the year. i think he's uploading the whole lot to strava hopefully day by day as he has uploaded the first 2 days so far and it would seem like a simple logical way to keep track of it as he has a garmin edge 1000
Cheers Ed

It's not Steve uploading the rides to Strava. It's a member of his support team. If you take some time to read his blog you will have a better understanding as to what is being done to help him support his challenge and will also give you a better idea of the man and his riding.
Steve usually cycles 40,000+ miles per year anyway... on a fixed. As I said previous - he is a legend.

Top Bottom