205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm sitting here feeling a bit tired after walking 5 miles this morning, and driving half of the 100-odd miles home. Steve has managed to ride twice as far as that in filthy weather.

@Shaun - any chance of putting some sort of tracker and link to his website on the front page for 2015?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
@Shaun - any chance of putting some sort of tracker and link to his website on the front page for 2015?

Please don't. I don't want daily reminders of my inadequacy. :thumbsup:

young Ed

Veteran
anyone heard of this chap called Steven Abraham? trying to beat the legendary Tommy Godwin for the world record of the number of miles cycled in one year by a single person, he needs to average a absolute minimum of about 206 miles a day to beat Tommy's 205.7 mile average per day with Tommy completing 75,065 miles in one year completely self sufficient mechanically and living on the road i believe? where as Abraham is just cycling out from home and back each day and sleeping at home

so far:
01/01/2015-222.7 miles
02/01/2015-187 miles
average so far 204.85 miles- under bare minimum

his bike:
RB_2011_Sojourn_Khaki_LG.jpg

(stock image. not sure of what colour his is and what he has on it eg: accesories, saddle, rack etc)

personally i reckon he will fail as many people have tried and failed on modern super light weght titanium and carbon fiber since Tommy's 1939 record on a heavy steel frame 3 speed bike with no garmin or spd pedals etc, what do you reckon
Cheers Ed

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Even if he does beat it, Tommy's record would still be better in my view, simply because of the equipment and support he (didn't) have.
That is not to take anything away from this attempt. It's a huge task - so fair play to him.
Will he be continuing after the year is up, like Tommy did, to crack the 100000 miles in 500 days?

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
How was the distance measured and confirmed so accurately in 1939.

Being behind even a couple of hundred miles at this stage is no big deal as they can be picked up gradually during the summer.

But it is a massive ask. Good luck to him.

Top Bottom