50+ cyclists - what do you ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just wondering whether there's any trend in those of us in the 50+ age group as to the bikes we ride.

I currently have a Dawes Galaxy for general pootling and commuting, and a Trek 3700 for trails and tracks.

I'm still considering getting a road bike, when I can make room for it! Any 50+ road bikers out there?

i usually ride a pompino fixed.
geared touring bike is a steel roberts with campag stuff. winter bikes is a steel 20 speed campag.
never did get round to this new fangled carbon and alu stuff!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Alu/carbon frame on my best bike, alu with carbon forks on the winter hack, Ergos on both. Life's too short to burden yourself with heavy outdated junk.

(No offence to those who like heavy outdated junk).

gbb

Legendary Member
beanzontoast said:
Just wondering whether there's any trend in those of us in the 50+ age group as to the bikes we ride.

I currently have a Dawes Galaxy for general pootling and commuting, and a Trek 3700 for trails and tracks.

I'm still considering getting a road bike, when I can make room for it! Any 50+ road bikers out there?[/QUOTE]

Hell yes...
I primarily use a roadbike (C2C Via Nirone) for commuting, fitness and pleasure riding. I have on old Raleigh racer for the winter.
Trek hybrid occasionally comes out for 'slow' pleasure riding with the wife, or if the weathers extreme. Also i use it if i intend to leave it anywhere locked up while shopping.
I cannot concieve of not having a roadbike, even when i'm over 60, perhaps more a tourer though.
There's plenty of older guys on roadbikes...

Altec2 Veneto road bike which I use for day to day ie: commuting - has a triple + 9 speed cassette but I only seem to use one or two speeds.
A carbon Look 361 as 'best' with Chorus 10 speed etc. Gave away a Dawes mountain bike, have also a Colnago Super (steel) double 8 speed and a Falcon which I bought for my first commute - Mill Hill to Covent Garden which is in need of some reparation et entretien...one day!:biggrin:
So, all road stuff. But never raced!

terry huckle

1 Dawes Galaxy of uncertain age, all I can tell you is that the shifters are on the down tube.

2 An 11 year old Marin Bear Valley SE. (My favourite)

3 A brand new Giant SCR2 (replacing the Trek that got nicked)

snorri

Legendary Member
gavintc said:
Although 51, I do not regard myself in the 'Saga' over 50 age group.
None of you lot do, but you are.:tongue::biggrin:
Anyway, I have a Dawes Galaxy for touring and longer day trips, a Raleigh Jaguar Pioneer for utility and short leisure trips and a Trek hybrid for use when the others are in for repair.:wacko: I do feel like getting another bike, this time with rohloff hub, do you think I should:?::becool:

postman

Legendary Member
Also a Dawes Galaxy and a Giant Rincon for towpath stuff.This is going in tomorrow for a new bottom bracket.Only had it since April.Should have got the Trek.As suggested by one of our own chatters.I would like a Trek 1.7 a nice bike.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
terry huckle said:
1 Dawes Galaxy of uncertain age, all I can tell you is that the shifters are on the down tube.

2 An 11 year old Marin Bear Valley SE. (My favourite)

3 A brand new Giant SCR2 (replacing the Trek that got nicked)

1. Ditto!

3. Got up close to an SR2 at the LBS yesterday. Lovely bike. Remarkable how many shops have it at the same price though - £545 - I thought there would be more natural variation in price than there is. Maybe the price will come down as the 2009 models appear?

Top Bottom