A day ride in France - Sat. 11th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arthur

Comfortably numb and increasingly fixed.
Oh, how I'm starting to hate Network Rail and their sodding weekend engineering works.

A couple of weeks back I checked the National Rail Enquiries website, and the train service from Gillingham to Dover was listed as running normally on the 11th.

Today when I checked, there is now a rail replacement bus service between Gillingham and Faversham, with a strict no bicycle policy.

So, while I was hoping for a five minute ride to the station, then spending the next hour or so gently dozing on the train before getting the ferry, I've now got to get out bed at least an hour earlier and ride an extra 17 miles, just to catch the train.

Bugger.

Adam wonders if Gillingham to Ebbsleet or Northfleet might be an option?

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Gillingham 05:54 arriving Gravesend 06:17, then either wait to get the 06:32 arriving Ebbsfleet 06:36, or take the quicker option of cycling the 3 miles from Gravesend to Ebbsfleet. And then pick up the HS1 we'll be on, which stops at Ebbsfleet at 06:55.

Last edited:

Arthur

Gillingham 05:54 arriving Gravesend 06:17, then either wait to get the 06:32 arriving Ebbsfleet 06:36, or take the quicker option of cycling the 3 miles from Gravesend to Ebbsfleet. And then pick up the HS1 we'll be on, which stops at Ebbsfleet at 06:55.

Genius... absolute genius - thank you.

I had already ruled out going via Ebbsfleet as the first train from Gillingham wouldn't get there till 07:16 and the Gravesend gambit simply hadn't occurred to me.

I like your plan infinitely more than mine. See you on the HS1 :wahhey:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@Flying Dodo , they have a Bureau de Change on the ferry right?
How much you think will need for lunch etc?

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Yes, you can get Euros on board, although the rate won't be as good as somewhere on the High Street, such as the Post Office or a travel agent.

As I'd got a large breakfast on board the boat, I only had 2 courses for lunch, which with a drink was €20. So perhaps get €50 to cover lunch and a drink later?

Hopefully everyone travelling from the UK has got a valid passport and remembers to bring it!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There's a Travelex at the ferry terminal- cheapest to pre-buy online and pick it up there.

probs wont have time as train get's in at 8.31, ferry is at 9.25 so will be in a bit of a rush. And as I said, you are only talking a couple of quid.

Arthur

Should be nice & sunny. Might be a bit cool at 12°, unless the expected cold front slows up more, in which case the mini heat wave will remain for one more day and it could be 20°!

I'm sure that somebody in the BBC weather department is taking the p***, as their forecast for Saturday has been changing radically by the hour.
They have just thrown rain into the equation and the 40 mph gusts could be fun:eek:
2015-04-08 05_18_17-BBC Weather - Calais.png

Top Bottom