Aggressive driver - what should I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Since "You were cycling in the middle of the road" is used so often by aggressive drivers as a vindication for what ought to be treated as CD maybe that's where a Public Information Film is needed? Just explaining why cyclists take the lane.

Re-post from Campaigning but a depressingly familiar tale of how the cops obstruct us from reporting stuff:

http://data.parliament.uk/writtenev...oad-traffic-law-enforcement/written/22835.pdf

They make it hard to report dangerous driving, then boast about low dangerous driving convictions.

Re-post from Campaigning but a depressingly familiar tale of how the cops obstruct us from reporting stuff:

http://data.parliament.uk/writtenev...oad-traffic-law-enforcement/written/22835.pdf

They make it hard to report dangerous driving, then boast about low dangerous driving convictions.

Because dangerous driving is hard to quantify numerically. Speeding doesnt have this problem. Also traffic police do get a kick from handing out penalties just like a school bully does from punchin a nerd.

Because dangerous driving is hard to quantify numerically. .

Nope. Safe over-taking is in the HC. Trafpol numbers have been halved so at any one point a total of eight officers cover the entire counties of Norfolk and Suffolk. Dangerous and illegal driving has NEVER been more likely to go undetected. Only 2% of speeding drivers get caught. 20m drivers admit frequently or regularly speeding, only 100,000 get convicted. Same with mobile phone use. These drivers know it is extremely unlikely that they will get caught.

Since "You were cycling in the middle of the road" is used so often by aggressive drivers as a vindication for what ought to be treated as CD maybe that's where a Public Information Film is needed? Just explaining why cyclists take the lane.

View: https://youtu.be/_mzDKtg4ngk

There isn't a great deal of explanation as to why cyclists ride centrally but then the film's strengths lie in its simplicity and clarity. It hasn't had a great deal of exposure has it?

Years ago, anyone remember this? Voiceover goes:

"Cyclists SEE more than you do!"

Close up of broken drain cover.

Ring any bells? From the 70s I think.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I think it's because I have spent a lot of time in the past 3 years trying to be calm and not shout at people/things (especially things) but I think take a deep breath and forget about it. If you want to do something positive, go back to the police but let that be the end of it for you.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you go to the police you will probably start shouting offensive and obscene things anyway, out of a general sense of frustration at their listlessness. Far better to scream at the motorist and be done with it.

So, if you saw a child being attacked you would shout at the attacker and not inform the police?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
So, if you saw a child being attacked you would shout at the attacker and not inform the police?
That's a bit of a leap in logic, isn't it old bean? If I couldn't be arsed to go to the police about my cycling "event", that's my choice. If it won't make me happy riding around with a permanent sense of grievance and anger, I'm not going to do it. Sorry. If it get's you off, and it seems to, that's fine by me.

What's a child being attacked got to do with it?

You said that you will ignore criminal behaviour, I wondered where your boundaries were. Would you ignore a child being attacked? Or a child on a bike being attacked? I'm curious.

Last edited by a moderator:

AFrightfulHobgoblin

Über Member

View: https://youtu.be/_mzDKtg4ngk

There isn't a great deal of explanation as to why cyclists ride centrally but then the film's strengths lie in its simplicity and clarity. It hasn't had a great deal of exposure has it?

What about this one? Saw it on Irish TV a couple of weeks ago and thought it was great. Shame I've never seen anything like it at home though.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You said that you will ignore criminal behaviour, I wondered where your boundaries were. Would you ignore a child being attacked? Or a child on a bike being attacked? I'm curious.

Somewhat weak point. To stretch the analogy further, I suggest the ignoring littering (anti social and contemptable littering may be) is not the same as ignoring mass murder.

Top Bottom