Aggressive driver - what should I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
They could have 500 reports, but if in each of them there's nothing to corroborate them then nothing will change.
I believe if they receive three reports on a driver they send an officer round to 'have a word'. Happy to stand corrected if anybody knows otherwise, but that was my understanding.

Drago

Legendary Member
Certainly the Forces I've worked for don't do that. Right to private and family life and all that bull. If there's no evidence to act they don't waste finger wagging.

andyfraser

Über Member
I believe if they receive three reports on a driver they send an officer round to 'have a word'. Happy to stand corrected if anybody knows otherwise, but that was my understanding.
That's what I was told too but I think it was more than three reports.

I think the police having a word could be quite useful. If someone's driving around being a deliberate git to cyclists it might wake them up to find out that several people have reported them and the police are keeping records. Some people think they can do what they want on the roads with impunity and that's not right.

Even if it's not deliberate someone may be driving around not knowing they're doing anything wrong. It could be a wake up call for them too. Some people would be horrified to find out they're putting people's lives at risk.

Either way I don't think police visits are a waste of time.

MattDB

Über Member
Every time someone passes me too close or pulls out in front of me I fantasise about chasing them down and confronting them. The once I did it i banged on the car before I saw who was driving and a tiny old woman was sat at the wheel. I said politely 'oh, you k just nearly ran me over' and she burst into tears, I was left at the traffic lights having to comfort the lady. Was I right to tell her, probably, was it satisfying, not at all

My mum's colleague was running on the beach recently when someone's young dog started trying to bite his trainers. When he asked the owner to call his dog he was calmly head-butted in the face.

I was in a bus a while back when the driver beeped his horn and the boy racer who'd cut him off slammed on his brakes and got out of car armed with a hammer.

My point, you don't know who you're dealing with. Is confronting someone going to make your feel better? I can't imagine you'd change anything in this situation. In the heat of the moment I agree it's hard not to react. By all means report to the police (I've been reading recently about prosecutions but these did come from helmet cams) but I urge you (and everyone else) to avoid confrontation at all costs, not because you're not in the right but because you have no idea which axe/gun/knife wielding maniac you're confronting. Car incidents are horrible and leave you shaken but report it and try not to think about it afterwards.

On a personal positive note I went on a course run by 'go smarter to work' which was really helpful in terms of road positioning and by not giving people the choice of overtaking in dangerous places by my road positioning I feel things have improved a bit.

andyfraser

Über Member
I was in a bus a while back when the driver beeped his horn and the boy racer who'd cut him off slammed on his brakes and got out of car armed with a hammer.
These are the people who worry me most in society. Are they like this because no one does anything or because they're genuinely insane? Either way they don't seem to think about the consequences of their actions and unfortunately someone (or more likely several people) has to get hurt before anything is done about them.

MattDB

Über Member
These are the people who worry me most in society. Are they like this because no one does anything or because they're genuinely insane? Either way they don't seem to think about the consequences of their actions and unfortunately someone (or more likely several people) has to get hurt before anything is done about them.

These are also the people who I also worry about and when approaching a driver who's been driving like a moron, there is no way of knowing if they are one of them or not!

U

User32269

Aggressively confronting knob heads after near misses etc is a no win situation. You will appear a bully when you reduce a timid mum to tears on the school run, or you will have to have your head held together by bolts when local steroid popping coke head lamps you with the wheel brace he keeps close to hand.
Just keep handy squirty bottle of brake fluid in saddle bag for when you get close at lights...:whistle:

U

User32269

How would that help? Unless the person understands a link between their action and your retribution, it is just going to appear to be mindless vandalism.
Maybe the post was about a little bit of fantasy revenge and not entirely serious. The main point was aggressively confronting people is IN MY OPINION AND EXPERIENCE not a good plan. I'm sure you can find something to pick out of this reply in order to have a smart arse dig at so I will apologise in advance for my ignorance.

MattDB

Über Member
I recently contacted a taxi company about aggressive driving. In my personal experience it feels like lots of bad driving comes from taxis. I got a very supportive e-mail from the company and will contact companies in the future. I know this isn't what the OP was about.

snorri

Legendary Member
My local force has acted on one report on two occasions. maybe it's the way I tell 'em!
They just "had a word" with the drivers but that was sufficient for me, and I know they'd had a word because they provided information regarding the incidents that I had not included when reporting the incident.

Occasionally things fall into place

I was touring on a recumbent trike a few years ago and I was stationary at traffic lights

Chavriolet pulls up alongside

Passenger starts with a string of abuse

Just look bemused, smile and start using "sign language" then shrug

He was totally bemused and carried on, so another shrug and more sign language

By this time the other three in the car are laughing at his efforts to insult someone who cannot hear the insults

Subtle, but good fun

Top Bottom