Aggressive driver - what should I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Sorry this has degenerated into a bit of a row! I've been trying to call the police station to give them the correct reg number but it's constantly engaged. I think there's a website you can use?

I guess there's nothing to protect yourself from this? I probably already ride further out than I should and I don't want to hold up the majority of drivers who are (overly sometimes) careful and considerate.

1) You are as entitled to be on the road as they are.

2) Riding away from the kerb is safer for you. In most cases, to overtake you at a safe distance, even if you are riding in the gutter, they have to go into the opposite lane. Therefore by riding out from the kerb you are not delaying anyone making a safe overtake. (And see mjray's post above for a benefit of riding away from the kerb if there are moronic drivers around like the one you encountered.)

3) As others have said, log it if you can, but don't expect anything to happen from just this one incident.

markharry66

Über Member
From experience move on get on with your life nothing will happen and the idiot will be free to drive. Lifes to short

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I'm on the main road this morning as my cycle route is closed for repairs. This morning was mega clear weather with about the best visibility imaginable. I'm riding in a high viz jacket, bike lights and helmet light.

Cars often pass me close but one guy zoomed passed me leaving mm to spare. It was a straight stretch of road with nothing on-coming so he could have given me loads of clearance. I did the palm-up "what are you doing?" gesture (ie no fingers) to which he gesticulated back, thus he was clearly looking in his mirror after passing me probably to see if I was still upright.

I caught up with him in traffic and was not going to confront him but he was already waiting with his window open and giving me the V sign. I simply repeated his reg number so he could hear me then rode to a safe distance and entered the reg into my phone so I wouldn't forget, but close enough for him to see me do it.

I stopped at the police station where I had to speak to someone on the phone as it was closed. Sadly I missed a 0 off the reg number so they couldn't find the car. I've put the reg no. with the 0 into an internet search and it indeed comes up as a Zafira so I now have the right one.

Should I phone the police back or leave it?

thanks

Open his nearside rear passenger door then ride off without closing it.

mustang1

Guru
I would just leave it. I hate to sound like a wuss but there you go. If you both share the same commute road, chances are he will see you again and exact revenge. So in that case, just let it pass.

Wrt informing the police, yeah, probably a good idea.

Now if it was just a one time use of that road and you're less likely to see him again, with the window open I'd stop, and apologize profusely. I'd tell the guy how sorry I am, completely my fault, I shouldn't really be in the road. When he's calmed down Id tell him "thank you for understanding you stupid dumb xxxxer and xxxx off in your stupid xxxxed up dumb brain for a car" and if I had eaten baked beans for breakfast...

But ya know, otherwise keep calm and keep riding. :smile:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Wing mirror. Bye bye.
I have found myself fantasising while cycling of catching up with one of these twonks and grabbing their keys and then dangling them just at a speed that they can't quite catch me then sprinting off stopping and dropping them down the drain. I even plan how I will swap my bikes and clothing around so I can carry on commuting that route.. I think I have given this far too much thought but it does defuse me a bit.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have found myself fantasising while cycling of catching up with one of these twonks and grabbing their keys and then dangling them just at a speed that they can't quite catch me then sprinting off stopping and dropping them down the drain. I even plan how I will swap my bikes and clothing around so I can carry on commuting that route.. I think I have given this far too much thought but it does defuse me a bit.

You and me both.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I'm on the main road this morning as my cycle route is closed for repairs. This morning was mega clear weather with about the best visibility imaginable. I'm riding in a high viz jacket, bike lights and helmet light.

Cars often pass me close but one guy zoomed passed me leaving mm to spare. It was a straight stretch of road with nothing on-coming so he could have given me loads of clearance. I did the palm-up "what are you doing?" gesture (ie no fingers) to which he gesticulated back, thus he was clearly looking in his mirror after passing me probably to see if I was still upright.

I caught up with him in traffic and was not going to confront him but he was already waiting with his window open and giving me the V sign. I simply repeated his reg number so he could hear me then rode to a safe distance and entered the reg into my phone so I wouldn't forget, but close enough for him to see me do it.

I stopped at the police station where I had to speak to someone on the phone as it was closed. Sadly I missed a 0 off the reg number so they couldn't find the car. I've put the reg no. with the 0 into an internet search and it indeed comes up as a Zafira so I now have the right one.

Should I phone the police back or leave it?

thanks
I'd say phone the police back, but in the knowledge that nothing is likely to happen, but just in case others have reported him, or do so in the future. I think it's incumbent on all of us to report these incidents whenever we can, and when the police get enough reports they will follow up, and things may change.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
You just know that when you eventually decide to enact the fantasy you'll find you picked a car with push button start...
I must admit that the part I missed out is the fumbling around trying to get the keys out whilst I take one on the chin, or the part where I cannot make my escape and they are the 100m Surrey champions

Top Bottom