Alone at Christmas.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
It has recently been brought home to me how lonely this time of year can be.Just last night a dear friend told me he could not face coming to our Christmas dinner,the one with my work mates.He nearly broke down crying as he told me.he lost his wife of 55 years of wedded bliss ,three years ago,enjoyment of Christmas has gone.i have not seen him this bad in the three years i have been sitting with him.Today i took a phone call from another cycling buddy,who lost his wife seven years ago,i quickly jumped on a bus and we had a little lunch in a Wetherspoons pub.He told me,that meeting me four years ago while out cycling had in his words saved him.I don't want likes for this.But let us remember for some people this is a horrible time of the year.

Sandra6

Veteran
You don't have to be alone to be lonely at Christmas either. Having it rammed down your throat for weeks on end that "it's all about family" when you don't have that sort of family is hard. Seeing everyone rushing around buying gifts when you're broke is hard. Knowing you won't actually be bought any gifts is also hard.
Being called Scrooge and Grinch is not hard, but bloody rude and annoying.
People don't like it when you don't like Christmas but I could quite easily give it a miss.

Tin Pot

Guru
Invite someone in.

We often have someone who is not close family join us, this year is a bit unusual but we have an asylum seeker. A few years ago we had an old friend who was a bit estranged from his family. And since her husband passed away we have my sister's boyfriend's mum over.

It's not "all about family" it's all about Christian values, whatever that means for you.

Sandra6

Veteran
Invite someone in.

We often have someone who is not close family join us, this year is a bit unusual but we have an asylum seeker. A few years ago we had an old friend who was a bit estranged from his family. And since her husband passed away we have my sister's boyfriend's mum over.

It's not "all about family" it's all about Christian values, whatever that means for you.

I'm agnostic, so I have no Christian values. Another reason why I should probably give the whole thing a miss. Not sure how that would wash with the kids.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It is often the case that when someone's partner dies very often they can be shunned by their group of combined friends. I noticed that when my father died and my mother lost contact with many of their old acquaintances. This can also be a contributory factor especially at Christmas.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Someone who I know has recently had some aggro from his family.
He has booked himself into a youth hostel in London from the 24-28 Dec as he would like to do his own thing. Christmas Day he intends to cycle the sights of London on quiet roads.
I admire his manufacture of a positive from a situation that could be so negative.

Glenn

Veteran
muslim-christmas-restaurant.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...lderly-sidcup-xmas-lunch-offers-a7456686.html

PaulB

Legendary Member
Someone who I know has recently had some aggro from his family.
He has booked himself into a youth hostel in London from the 24-28 Dec as he would like to do his own thing. Christmas Day he intends to cycle the sights of London on quiet roads.
I admire his manufacture of a positive from a situation that could be so negative.
Good on him. As keen as I am on my bike, the situation you describe above would be the only one that would get me cycling in the capital. Although I'd rather share a bath with a three-bar electric fire than go to that London.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Invite someone in.

not necessarily Christian*, its just being a decent person with good values.
*other religions and myths are available.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I am not keen on Christmas either as it has become too commercial. Christmas meal is over rated as well. I enjoy spending time with the family though and playing games but that's it oh, and eating plenty of chocolate which I don't do so much the rest of the year.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Christmas doesnt offer me anything that I cannot get at any time of the year. Family gatherings of 15 plus, is a very regular thing. We have a family agreement that we dont buy gifts for each other. Jannie and I dont buy gifts for each other.....But I have just ordered her a cycling jersey from Battersea dogs home as she is a dog lover.

Thank god for tangerines or Christmas would be a washout.

Top Bottom