Alone at Christmas.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grumpyoldwoman

As usual it's just going to be me and GrumpyJunior (who will no doubt vanish to his room most of the day) but suits me fine. Hate all the enforced jollity that's expected at this time of year.
Will celebrate the Solstice as I always do but the 25th,bah.We'll have a nice lunch and some munchies and a glass of something. Hopefully a good film too and a cycle ride at some point.

Luckily this year I have all 3 days off! I think all shops should be to stay shut on Boxing Day - retail and restaurant staff work damn hard between Sept and 25th Dec. We need a break!

Last edited:
As usual it's just going to be me and GrumpyJunior (who will no doubt vanish to his room most of the day) but suits me fine. Hate all the enforced jollity that's expected at this time of year.
Will celebrate the Solstice as I always do but the 25th,bah.We'll have a nice lunch and some munchies and a glass of something. Hopefully a good film too and a cycle ride at some point.

Luckily this year I have all 3 days off! I think all shops should be to stay shut on Boxing Day - retail and restaurant staff work damn hard between Sept and 25th Dec. We need a break!

I Agree 100 percent. I'm going to do a 100Km ride on Boxing Day, to take advantage of the quiet roads, then when I get back home, watch a movie or two with a giant bag of Haribo, and a bottle of single malt.

Oldbloke

Guru
The tension in our family was horrendous, generally Nan and Grandad would be over for lunch and my Mother got more and more stressed as the morning went on.By about 1pm I wanted to just hide under the bed. They would both drink too much and then would lash out at us. I say us, generally me as my sister is their actual daughter and I was 'the spare'. I spent 13 Boxing Days in A&E with broken ribs/arms/ankles/jaw etc. They wouldn't take me on Christmas day as it would 'ruin' christmas. I ran away 4 or 5 times on Christmas morning. I don't suppose that helped at all, I was going to get battered anyway, it just put off the inevitable for a wee while.
We don't really have Christmas here. This year we are getting each other small gifts as I haven't had a gift since 2008. Hubster gets gifts from his family though. We tend to go for a ride, a long walk. I try and ignore it as much as possible really. To the point of muting the adverts and ignoring everything to do with spendmas and greedmas as much as I can.
That is truly horrific. Don't really know what to say but wish you well....

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
@Saluki I hope you can build some happier memories with today's loved ones.

Reading your post made me sad & grateful for the secure & happy family home I had and which I hope we are providing to our own children. Having ten days off work to see family & friends, get in a ride or a walk, and enjoy some good grub whilst reflecting upon who I believe to be the light of the world is something I look forward to.

After my father-in-law was widowed, he has always gone away for Christmas. A couple of times, to visit his daughter and her family in New Zealand, sometimes on a cruise or, in more recent years to Turkey.
He goes to Turkey again next week, for a 4 week stay, despite a catalogue of medical problems (he's in his mid 80's).....

He has coped tremendously well over the last nearly 30 years since his wife died, but Christmas is the one time of year when he seems to need to take himself away from all the supposed "mirth" and "jollity".

Saluki

World class procrastinator
That is truly horrific. Don't really know what to say but wish you well....
It's done and over. People say 'move on' but I'm not really sure where to move on to. Most of the time I'm absolutely fine, it's just this time of year I try to batten down the hatches and try and ignore it the best that I can. All the enforced jollity kind of gets on my nerves. That's why I have a bike :smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Invite someone in.

We often have someone who is not close family join us, this year is a bit unusual but we have an asylum seeker. A few years ago we had an old friend who was a bit estranged from his family. And since her husband passed away we have my sister's boyfriend's mum over.

It's not "all about family" it's all about Christian values, whatever that means for you.
This in shovelfulls^^^^

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Invite someone in.

We often have someone who is not close family join us, this year is a bit unusual but we have an asylum seeker. A few years ago we had an old friend who was a bit estranged from his family. And since her husband passed away we have my sister's boyfriend's mum over.

It's not "all about family" it's all about Christian values, whatever that means for you.
This in shovelfulls^^^^

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It's done and over. People say 'move on' but I'm not really sure where to move on to. Most of the time I'm absolutely fine, it's just this time of year I try to batten down the hatches and try and ignore it the best that I can. All the enforced jollity kind of gets on my nerves. That's why I have a bike :smile:
We can easily forget that countless families are dysfunctional units with little joy and degrees of danger for some members. I had fairly happy Christmases when I was growing up but the one I look back on most fondly was when I split from the first Mrs SJ and spent the day on my own happily building a radio control car I'd presented myself with. I had told my mum and various other relatives who'd invited me round that I was going somewhere else and had a relaxing day with a couple of turkey legs and a few roasties for lunch.

I'm not really a celebrations person, I've gradually cut my own Christmas card list down to one, an old club mate from years back. Mrs SJ only sends a few now and people have got the hint, dropping us from their lists too. At one time we used to spend a fortune on the things, useless bloody clutter.

stephec

Legendary Member
:hugs: I don't think I've ever used this emoticon before, but I will now just for you.

The tension in our family was horrendous, generally Nan and Grandad would be over for lunch and my Mother got more and more stressed as the morning went on.By about 1pm I wanted to just hide under the bed. They would both drink too much and then would lash out at us. I say us, generally me as my sister is their actual daughter and I was 'the spare'. I spent 13 Boxing Days in A&E with broken ribs/arms/ankles/jaw etc. They wouldn't take me on Christmas day as it would 'ruin' christmas. I ran away 4 or 5 times on Christmas morning. I don't suppose that helped at all, I was going to get battered anyway, it just put off the inevitable for a wee while.
We don't really have Christmas here. This year we are getting each other small gifts as I haven't had a gift since 2008. Hubster gets gifts from his family though. We tend to go for a ride, a long walk. I try and ignore it as much as possible really. To the point of muting the adverts and ignoring everything to do with spendmas and greedmas as much as I can.

stephec

Legendary Member
Invite someone in.

That's top class.

On a similar theme, Mrs Stephec used to work with someone who would make an extra Christmas dinner, then take it into the centre of Manchester and give it to the first homeless person she saw.

Top Bottom