Alone at Christmas.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hated Xmas as a kid.

If it's not prying too much, can I ask why?

screenman

Legendary Member
People often get pleasure from giving, is it right to deprive them of that just because you do not want in. I know it is not an easy one.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
yes, if I don't want...I'm not here so they can get gratification from giving me something that isn't wanted or needed..I get this all the time oh but they want to give, so what...surely respecting my wishes should be paramount..

Maybe you could accept them. Then like the Queen does when handed gifts,pass them to someone who gives them to someone else.

johnnyb47

Guru
It's going to be my first Christmas ever this year being on my own after the wife buggered off earlier this year. I'm not bothering with a Christmas tree or decorations because I think it will just stir up negative feelings. I have though been invited for Christmas dinner by my ex wife's family ( they have disowned her ) So overall I'm going to enjoy this Christmas for what it's really about and share some quality time with my now ex family , but in my eyes and there's we are still a family. It's funny how things turn out in life but hay ho. Maybe all us lone cyclists should arrange to meet up for a Christmas ride out somewhere :-)

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I still think of Sheila the 80 year old woman who we invited for Christmas Day 3 years ago. She was the lady who we got our dog off. I used to take him round to see her after she had to let him go as she couldn't look after him due to her disability. She talked of her family disowning her after her and her husband divorced, saying she had been on her own for Christmas for years.
She was supposed to come round to ours at 11am. By late afternoon and many unanswered phone calls i feared something was wrong. I couldn't go round to her's as she lived 5 miles away and to be honest i thought she might've taken up someone else'd offer and gone there. I phoned and phoned for the next 2 days then decided to go to her house. I knocked on the door, there was no answer. Her neighbour came out and said she thought she was at ours as she hadn't seen her since Christmas Eve. I decided to phone the police. They came, then broke the door down to find her dead in bed. So sad.

Last edited:
yes, if I don't want...I'm not here so they can get gratification from giving me something that isn't wanted or needed..I get this all the time oh but they want to give, so what...surely respecting my wishes should be paramount..

That's why all my gifts are edible ones and mostly home made at that - they always seem to be appreciated. :smile: I've received my fare share of junk over the years, simply because someone has felt obliged to give me something, even if I'd rather have not been given anything at all. Half a dozen self-assembly cardboard storage wallets, anyone? :wacko:

Will be baking my lebkuchen and speculoos this weekend :hungry:

Tin Pot

Guru
That's why all my gifts are edible ones and mostly home made at that - they always seem to be appreciated. :smile: I've received my fare share of junk over the years, simply because someone has felt obliged to give me something, even if I'd rather have not been given anything at all. Half a dozen self-assembly cardboard storage wallets, anyone? :wacko:

Will be baking my lebkuchen and speculoos this weekend :hungry:

Edible or wearable it's the fact that someone thinks enough of you to be generous, to show that you matter, to show that everyone matters.

Put on a smile. :smile:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Edible or wearable it's the fact that someone thinks enough of you to be generous, to show that you matter, to show that everyone matters.

Put on a smile. :smile:
A lot of people give presents out of a misplaced feeling of obligation. A sizeable proportion of those would be happy to stop, if the experience of my family is anything to go by.

Reactions: JtB
Top Bottom