Am I the only one who doesn't understand twitter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Twitter, like all social media, is what you make of it. Personally I really like it and follow a variety of comedians, cyclists and artists so my feed is a blend of humour and inspiration.

Though I have to mute most of the cycling related users I follow just now or my enjoyment of the TdF highlights each evening would be gubbed!

@ukcyclingexpert and @usasoccerguy are particularly entertaining.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I had an account but it was unused for a long time. I did get regular follow requests from attractive young Russian girls with links to additional picture albums if I would care to click on the provided link. I ignored these but I can't say I am surprised as I am obviously quite a catch!
I eventually closed my account when it appeared to be the target of a coup by some internet hackers trying to reset the password and take control! The procedure to close the account is quite ludicrous as once I regained account control and requested shutdown the account has to be left idle for around a month which allows hackers time to attempt another assault (which they did). Any account activity resets the cooling off period so it eventually took me few months to achieve my aim to close the Twitter account. If I was a cynical person I would say Twitter do this on purpose to make sure they can boast about their huge user base!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Lots of people are on Twitter because they think they are far too clever to be posting their sh*te on Facebook.
I follow a few people and organisations on Twitter but don't often 'tweet'.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I use it a fair bit, and I have a separate work twitter which I also use fairly often.
I don't always get it though, and yes, some "threads" become hard to follow.
I've tried watching Question Time, while also following its Twitter feed, but I found that I wasn't actually concentrating on the programme itself.

Vidor06

Long term loafer
I use Twitter daily. I find out about huge news stories on it significantly earlier than through BBC etc. For instance I was on Twitter last Thurs when the news broke of the events in Nice. It was amazing to see how quickly it moved from a possible accident with a few injuries to what we now know. I also use it for local news and police notifications.
Equally I use it for following sporting news. For example being stuck in work I can follow the news of the days Tour stage by following Eurosport or Team Sky.
Its all about how you manage the people and the organisations you follow. Im constantly adding and removing people from my lists. I used to follow people like Fry, Gervais or Ross. But I quickly discovered that I wasnt interested in their inane ramblings and ditched them.
I will admit to getting rather excited when Sir Chris Hoy replied to one of my tweets.

I use it solely to follow the bike racing. Anyone who tweets too much gets binned, anyone who tweets politics, gets binned, anyone who tweets personal stuff, gets binned.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Presumably a f*cking apple is a Cox?
I dread to think what depravity is revealed by a preference for Golden Delicious.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I once tried to look at an exchange Alan Sugar was involved in, but could only see his tweets which wasn't very satisfactory.
Click "View conversation" to see the exchange, or for long exchanges, click the timestamp of the tweet you want to make the centre of the view.

Twitter used to be more useful but now far too many people/organisations on there are in shout-only mode, never interacting with others. So-called microblogging seems to have gone the same way as blogging. I do wonder whether forums like this will eventually go the same way, with most people doing hit-and-runs, but forums existed before blogging so maybe it would have by now if it was going to (IYSWIM).

Thinks like having www.showtweets.com for #tdf running in a window in the corner of the screen can be interesting sometimes, though.

www.thesocialpeloton.com can also be interesting, although I wish they'd fix their stylesheet.

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't know anything about it nor do I want to.

I grudgingly use Facebook as some of the things I'm involved in use it to post events etc. I also use the Messenger service. I never post anything nor do I bother to read what my FB friends post. I don't care if you've got a hangover, have had Coco Pops for breakfast, have run out of toilet roll, your remote control needs new batteries or if you are watching Eastenders.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Nope hou are not the only one. But it is comprehensible and useful, and often highly amusing, in return for a small amount of effort.

I once went to an internal seminar where our Social Media team were in raptures over the Twitter accounts 1000th follower. I pointed out a) 350 were employees and b) my own account (since terminated) had 3000 followers. They were not happy.

They were even less happy three months later to get me as their manager.

Julia9054

Guru
I prefer Twitter to Facebook. Don't tweet much but i can follow interesting people that i don't necessarily know, local news organisations so i don't have to buy the local paper.
My Facebook account always seems to be clogged up with pics of other people's dogs /babies/weddings /dinners.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I actually set up a Twitter account as Fnaar (@Fnaar_Fnaar) (some eejit had already taken the obvious name)
I intended to take my innuendo-based ramblings anonymously to the Twitterverse, but i figured I waste enough time on here as it is, without letting my enjoyment of posting anonymous humour/inanities take up more of my life :smile::okay:

Mind you, feel free to follw the Fnaar account, and I might actually start using it. My only 2 tweets on there were to #askGokWan if it was true that fat people can get served first in petrol stations (?? it must have amused me at the time) and to ask him if he'd ever considered wearing undercrackers made out of pork pies. He didn't reply, strangely.

Top Bottom