• Thursday 4th August

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Friday 5th August

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Saturday 6th August

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Also fettled to a high sheen and also a bit excited.

swansonj

Guru
So which caff did you go to? I just called in at Pilgrim Cycles for lunch on a twenty mile pootle with my daughter and the proprietor and his wife looked completely frazzled and made some comment about big groups coming through...:smile:

Tim Hall

Great ride, thanks everyone. Returned home via Rusper, stopping for a tasty pork pie in the village shop.

Quote of the day, when discussing the sort of bike needed to ride the bridleways of the North Downs Way, came from @Bollo . I'd said my bike would be fine, as it was made of metal. His plastic and soot, light as a feather, creation "is made of dreams".

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thanks Fnaar, Shadow and Tim for a fine ride indeed. This was only my third trip to the Surrey hills, so it really hits you how it becomes bikeopolis on a sunny weekend. About 110km all in including missed turns, which is more than enough for me to call it a day.

Iphone quality I'm afraid, but here are the pics....

full.jpg

Shadow tops White Down. Admire the determined countenance and manly set of the jaw. Shadow has conquered White Down. He respects the Hill, but the Hill also respects him. Maybe a gentle word from the sponsors for the unzipped shirt, but otherwise chapeaux.

full.jpg

Tim and Fnaar appear to be smiling. Perhaps they stopped for a picnic half way up? With pretty paper napkins and China tea-cups. Mediocre!

full.jpg

Tim, Shadow and Fnaar on the top of Box Hill. It's easy to be cynical about Box Hill as a cycling destination, but it was just stunning today.

Quote of the day, when discussing the sort of bike needed to ride the bridleways of the North Downs Way, came from @Bollo . I'd said my bike would be fine, as it was made of metal. His plastic and soot, light as a feather, creation "is made of dreams".
It's amazing I can get over those hills if I'm that full of cr@p.:blush:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Was it good?
Yeah, fine, decent cake and coffee, bikes for sale, jerseys and other stuff, and a repair service,who when we visited was doing a repair for a young woman who'd had an off.

PK99

Legendary Member
Yeah, fine, decent cake and coffee, bikes for sale, jerseys and other stuff, and a repair service,who when we visited was doing a repair for a young woman who'd had an off.

It's one of my regular stops these days, there or Bike Beans in Ashtead

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Bump for latest date for a re-run of this ride.
Info in edited first post.
Thread title edited for next date.

swansonj

Guru
As last Saturday, I am quite likely to be out with my daughter for a pootle on the tandem. If you can give an indication of timing, I'll see if we can cross paths in the Box Hill area.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hi @swansonj , I'm telephoneless and stravaless at the moment, so at a rough guess I'd say we'd arrive at top of Box Hill at 11.15 to 11.30. I'll wear my Cycle Chat jersey so easy to spot :smile:
There's a good caff in Box Hill Village which we went to last time.
I've explained to @lazybloke that there's a slim chance I might have to cancel, but probably not. If I do, I will have to post on here rather than ring people though.
All being well, look forward to seeing you and your daughter there.

swansonj

Guru
Suppose she and I get ourselves to Pilgrim Cycles from say 11 onwards and wait outside there? You could pick us up on your way down from Ranmore, we could join you for the stretch up Box Hill, then you could leave us wrecked at the top of Box Hill from the effort of trying to keep up, while you finish your ride?

Top Bottom