Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mburton1993

Über Member
From personal experience on too many occasions:
Don't be tempted to try and stretch it. Put a heel lift such as Sorbothane or a piece of orthopaedic felt in your footwear on the affected side. Rest it for at least a week, when it starts to feel better it isn't it's still mending, give it at least another few days.
when you've done all that still don't stretch it, just remove the heel lift and that will be the equivalent of a gentle stretch.
This is in addition to the usual rest and ice. You can also find the tender spot and roll your fingers across the sore part, a bit like unwinding the twists on a piece of twine.
If you're going to do a Marathon on Christmas day then you are almost there with the training. I'd give the " sharpening up " short runs a miss, you are not going to lose all your fitness over the next three weeks, and you may well surprise yourself as to what a well rested body can pull out of the hat on the day.
Best wishes, and have a good one 👍

Cheers, that is a good bunch of useful information, heel lift’s a good shout I’ll sort something out together with rest, ice and massage.

I was on schedule with the training but got a bugger of a cold mid-November that put me on my arse for over a week, as a result I missed a chunk of training and in my haste to get back on track got this strain.

I also skipped the short runs last year too so that’s alright. ^_^

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I undertook some pseudo science this morning, with me as the willing guinea pig.

I gave blood at 4pm yesterday and ran parkrun at 9am this morning against medical advice. One unit of blood is about 10% of the total so how bad can it be after 17 hours.

I felt fine at the start but was absolutely shattered at half way and ran 10% slower than any time this year. I wasn’t out of breath and my heart wasn’t pounding but my legs simply wouldn’t work. At the end I had to sit down for a few minutes.

My non scientific conclusion is that blood doping would be a fantastic way of increasing your performance.

I won’t be repeating the experiment's.

Jameshow

Veteran
I undertook some pseudo science this morning, with me as the willing guinea pig.

I gave blood at 4pm yesterday and ran parkrun at 9am this morning against medical advice. One unit of blood is about 10% of the total so how bad can it be after 17 hours.

I felt fine at the start but was absolutely shattered at half way and ran 10% slower than any time this year. I wasn’t out of breath and my heart wasn’t pounding but my legs simply wouldn’t work. At the end I had to sit down for a few minutes.

My non scientific conclusion is that blood doping would be a fantastic way of increasing your performance.

I won’t be repeating the experiment's.

Your not lance by any chance!!

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Ran the Ashton Court Parkrun this morning.
A out & back event in South Bristol.
Its also an up & down event... 2.5K up & 2.5K down.

Screenshot_20231223-125828.png

Screenshot_20231223-104443~2.png

IMG_20231223_084345_HDR.jpg

Chislenko

Veteran
I continually get notifications about people breaking Parkrun records and registering "the fastest Parkrun ever"

It's just a load of nonsense as Parkrun courses vary wildly.

5K on tarmac will obviously be quicker than 5K that has "cross country" built-in.

5K on a flat course will obviously be quicker than a hilly course.

Why bother?

Venod

Eh up
I continually get notifications about people breaking Parkrun records and registering "the fastest Parkrun ever"

It's just a load of nonsense as Parkrun courses vary wildly.

5K on tarmac will obviously be quicker than 5K that has "cross country" built-in.

5K on a flat course will obviously be quicker than a hilly course.

Why bother?

It's just the same as fastest 10k, Half Marathon, Marathon etc, all courses are different but fastest times are sought after by running a fast course.

stephec

Legendary Member
And let's not forget that it's not a race.

I saw a statement from parkrun about a year ago that said they were proud that average finishing times were increasing, as this showed that they were inclusive of a wide range of abilities.

Spartak