Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Gentle?! Ha

Well, in hindsight you remember it as easier though at the time it is a real challenge " Just one more mile, just to the next ridgeline etc" 😁. My forum name comes from when I was running the long stuff and towards the end of a race when everything was hurting I'd say to myself " F*ck this, I'm never doing this sort of distance again, I'm going to stick to 10k " It usually took a couple of weeks before the lure of the distance started creeping back.

Mburton1993

Über Member
Well, in hindsight you remember it as easier though at the time it is a real challenge " Just one more mile, just to the next ridgeline etc" 😁. My forum name comes from when I was running the long stuff and towards the end of a race when everything was hurting I'd say to myself " F*ck this, I'm never doing this sort of distance again, I'm going to stick to 10k " It usually took a couple of weeks before the lure of the distance started creeping back.

I was very tempted to call it a day at lap 8, nearly a marathon at that point, that would've done fine.

I was also cursing the Met Office for the lack of rain by lap 6.

Long runs are only ok in small doses. 😆

Jameshow

Veteran

Give me 30 miles over a 5k any day!

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Screenshot_20240323-124516~2.png

Travelled across from Bristol this morning to the Parkrun at Bryn Bach just north of Tredegar with some friends to do the highest PR in the UK.
As we walked to the start it was sleeting and as the run director started his announcements it briefly turned to snow 🌨....!!!
Foretuneatly the clouds cleared after a couple of minutes and the rest if the run was in sunshine ☀ 👍.
After the run we used the excellent onsite cafe for coffees, hot chocolate, sausage baps & beans on toast.
A great PR to do if you're ever in the area.

Long run (35.5k, ~22 miles) completed today. Now begins the tapering 😀.

Enjoyed a tailwind for the first 12k which is relatively flat along the coast. I then made a right turn and began the long uphill into the city then through to the coast again on the far side. The tailwind I had turned into a headwind, which stayed with me all the way to the coast again. That did mean though that, following another right turn, I picked up a tailwind again back towards home.

In short tailwind on the flat and headwind on the uphill sections 😂.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Just been chatting with Mrs Tkk about her training for the GNR in September ( she's in her 70's but has a shed load of marathons and ultras under her belt ) She noted that she'd looked at the recommended training plan and longest session was a one hour run which she felt was much too short. She also said that she'd been chatting to an older member of the running club she used to belong to and he said that 16 miles was now the recommended pre race long run before taper. I suppose that might work if someone just wants to get round the distance, but seems foolhardy and surely can't be the perceived wisdom?

Jameshow

Veteran
Just been chatting with Mrs Tkk about her training for the GNR in September ( she's in her 70's but has a shed load of marathons and ultras under her belt ) She noted that she'd looked at the recommended training plan and longest session was a one hour run which she felt was much too short. She also said that she'd been chatting to an older member of the running club she used to belong to and he said that 16 miles was now the recommended pre race long run before taper. I suppose that might work if someone just wants to get round the distance, but seems foolhardy and surely can't be the perceived wisdom?

It's only a half marathon I believe.

16 miles is more than enough.

The last 3 miles will be tough for a newbie but most get through it.

However a base of a minimum of 6 months of endurance milage would really help. I guess many dong the GNR wouldn't want to commit to that but see it as a trophy/charity event.

Top Bottom