Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cirrus

Veteran
What training plan are you following? I’m doing Manchester too and don’t routinely run 24k for a couple more weeks.

The intermediate HR based plan from Garmin. Did it on a previous marathon and it worked well for me. Long slow runs are time based rather than distance, last week's LSR was supposed to be 2hr 15 (misjudged it a bit so I ended up doing more distance and time than I should have) this week’s only 1hr 30. So it varies, then there are a couple of interval sessions/fartleks and slow runs during the week.

I’ll also start some core strength work and incorporate some hill work as I’m tempted to either do an ultra (only a 50k) or some trail runs e.g. https://www.runthroughtrails.com/tittesworth-water/ after Manchester

The Bridge Run 2025 opened for entries at 11am GMT today. It’s a half marathon from Copenhagen, in Demark, across the Øresund bridge to Malmö in Sweden.

Was a bit of a bun fight getting onto the site apparently with it crashing from time to time and some issues with one of the payment providers.

My wife and I were lucky and got in with relative ease. Anyone else here get an entry?

Venod

Eh up
I have acquired my lads Garmin Fenix Pro 6, so for sale is my Garmin Forunner 55 in great condition. £75 posted.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/06/garmin-forerunner-55-depth-review.html

20240210_115247.jpg

20240210_121109.jpg

Mburton1993

Über Member
Can anyone recommend some trainers for an ultramarathon, my current trainers are Mizuno Wave Inspire 18 (wide fit).

Hoping for a similar price of around £125, was looking at Endorphin Speed 3s but checked a few websites and the range of sizes and colour is limited.

@Mburton1993 When you say ultra marathon, what distance are you doing and on what kind of surface?

What distances are you doing in your Mizunos at the moment and why do you think they are not suitable for your ultra?

The Wave is often likened to the Brooks Adrenaline or Hoka Arahi range. Hoka aren’t short on sizes and colours though recommending shoes is a bit like recommending a saddle for a bike. What works for one doesn’t work for another.

I’d suggest you go somewhere that can do a gait analysis and let you try a few different shoes.

Mburton1993

Über Member
@Mburton1993 When you say ultra marathon, what distance are you doing and on what kind of surface?

What distances are you doing in your Mizunos at the moment and why do you think they are not suitable for your ultra?

The Wave is often likened to the Brooks Adrenaline or Hoka Arahi range. Hoka aren’t short on sizes and colours though recommending shoes is a bit like recommending a saddle for a bike. What works for one doesn’t work for another.

I’d suggest you go somewhere that can do a gait analysis and let you try a few different shoes.

It is 90km on pavement. I ran the same course last year in the Mizuno's, have done a couple of marathons in them too and at the moment doing 14km runs.

The Mizuno's would do the job, but I've ran a little over 1200km in them now and they're wearing abit.

I got them online from Up & Running, they have a store in Manchester so I'll see what they reckon.

At 1200km your definitely due a new pair!

It is possible to get the same shoes online?

I found over the years that the tweaks manufacturers do each year often means that after a couple of years they change something that means they stop working for me. That happened with the Brooks Adrenaline so I moved to the Hola Arahi 5 after getting a gait analysis done. They worked great so I bought a few more pairs whilst they were still readily available. They are up to the Arahi 7 now so, at some point I’m going to have to give them a go.

Jameshow

Veteran

Hoka are the go to ultra runners shoes.

Off road you can probably get away with a less cushioned shoe like an inov8 but on road you want something really cushioned but like saddles they are a very personal thing!!

Mburton1993

Über Member
At 1200km your definitely due a new pair!

It is possible to get the same shoes online?

I found over the years that the tweaks manufacturers do each year often means that after a couple of years they change something that means they stop working for me. That happened with the Brooks Adrenaline so I moved to the Hola Arahi 5 after getting a gait analysis done. They worked great so I bought a few more pairs whilst they were still readily available. They are up to the Arahi 7 now so, at some point I’m going to have to give them a go.

Start Fitness are selling them for £65 which is pretty good, they were £130 in December 2022.

I'll go Up & Running first and get a gait analysis.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Start Fitness are selling them for £65 which is pretty good, they were £130 in December 2022.

I'll go Up & Running first and get a gait analysis.

I think the current opinion among the biomechanical / sports science people is that gait analysis can be counterproductive in that you may be recommended shoes that alter your natural style and can lead to injury. If your current shoes aren't giving you any issues then I'd get more of the same as @Mburton1993 has kindly linked to.
When I was doing that sort of stuff the shoe of choice thended to be Nike Pegasus ( this was pre "Air Pegasus "). They changed the design after a few years and there were a lot of ultra runners sayng it was not as good a shoe. I find Saucony suits me, and for the past few years have been wearing Hokas which are extremely well cushioned.
I've run long distances on quite a few surfaces, cinder track, " Tartan " track, pavement / road and on one occasion, Marble. ( Milton Keynes shopping centre sometime in the '80s ). I found that the effect of cushioning can vary depending on the distance and the surface that you are running on. When I did my first race on a synthetic track I thought the resilience of the surface was great, not so much during the latter stages when the resilience and tired legs seem to be absorbing more energy instead of returning it

I think the current opinion among the biomechanical / sports science people is that gait analysis can be counterproductive in that you may be recommended shoes that alter your natural style and can lead to injury. If your current shoes aren't giving you any issues then I'd get more of the same as @Mburton1993 has kindly linked to.
When I was doing that sort of stuff the shoe of choice thended to be Nike Pegasus ( this was pre "Air Pegasus "). They changed the design after a few years and there were a lot of ultra runners sayng it was not as good a shoe. I find Saucony suits me, and for the past few years have been wearing Hokas which are extremely well cushioned.
I've run long distances on quite a few surfaces, cinder track, " Tartan " track, pavement / road and on one occasion, Marble. ( Milton Keynes shopping centre sometime in the '80s ). I found that the effect of cushioning can vary depending on the distance and the surface that you are running on. When I did my first race on a synthetic track I thought the resilience of the surface was great, not so much during the latter stages when the resilience and tired legs seem to be absorbing more energy instead of returning it

I opted for gait analysis after a significant injury and needed to understand how that had changed my running style. They didn’t push any particular shoes and made their recommendations based on the video. It also helped that I had access to 50% off any pair I bought.

Top Bottom