Anybody know about 'shrooms?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Thank you Julia. That book looks good. It's terrible to admit it, but the element of risk is one of the attractions for me.

The Phillips is brilliant, but cross-reference it with another guide, preferably one with a different form illustration. Most of the photos are very good in my edition, but there's a great deal of variation in colour etc with some species. Oh, and read the whole book before you even think about eating anything.

You'll enjoy the discussions of toxicity - dwell on the deadliest species at length and savour the stories of lingering and agonising death, as you need them to haunt your dreams and come back to you in a flash. There are two elements to risk - likelihood and severity. Sometimes misidentification can result from from utter cluelessness, and sometimes from missing subtle distinctions, but the common factor in most fatal poisonings is people not really believing that eating a mushroom will kill them. You don't need to know everything, but you need to know how much you know - for example the mushroom that nearly killed Nick Evans and his family belongs to a genus which contains nothing that is worth eating and a few things that will kill you - so you need to be able to recognize the genus to avoid it but don't necessarily need to be able to identify species within it. Practise IDing everything whether it's potentially edible or not, but know what you are looking for. ID stuff in situ. Phillips is good with descriptive sensory stuff, but you should cross that with a systematic approach and eliminate specimens from your enquiries if there's anything about them that contradicts the description. Don't experiment with stuff of disputed or unknown edibility, and don't pick anything that's too young or too old to be able to see its features clearly. Most importantly, don't trust some muppet on the internet...

Pharmacists in popular fungal bits of France will identify your foraged produce for delicousness or possibilities of instant death. Whether they can identify entertaining and hallucinogenic ones I know not. Honest :whistle:

If it wasn't the effect I was seeking, I would regard hallucinations as poisoning.

Thank you Julia. That book looks good. It's terrible to admit it, but the element of risk is one of the attractions for me.

Ah, then I hope you use Anthony Worrall Thompson for advice on foraging.

Good luck. I have a friendly neighbour that takes a group mushrooming, and hasn't killed any of us yet.

Oh, and fugu requires a chef wily enough to cut away the most toxic part. Preparing it yourself would be suicidal. Apparently they had fatalities in Japan after the war, when hungry dumpster divers would take home scraps from restaurant rubbish bins.

That's sad and pathetic in equal measures. What is the point of picking wild mushrooms when you are going to just drown them in Campbell's soup? Tinned mushroom soup is so strongly flavoured and highly salted, that the addition of fresh mushrooms is at best just going to bulk it out a bit. And the worst case - ugh - total organ shutdown.

[QUOTE 4433824, member: 259"]Does he still forage in Tesco?[/QUOTE]
Speaking of sad and pathetic. I checked out wikipedia to see how he is doing these days, but it's a bit open ended. Hotels in massive debt in 2009, starting a column in 2010. The only things I could see after that was spruiking for an industry sponsored pro-tobacco lobby and speaking on behalf of BREXIT :sad:

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
I had a friend that went forraging for mushrooms.

It was a lovely funeral.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've got some puffer fish in the freezer, if you are interested.

Speaking of sad and pathetic. I checked out wikipedia to see how he is doing these days, but it's a bit open ended. Hotels in massive debt in 2009, starting a column in 2010. The only things I could see after that was spruiking for an industry sponsored pro-tobacco lobby and speaking on behalf of BREXIT :sad:

I walked past a branch of Currys a few years ago and AWT was doing a live cooking demo to promote his range of cookware.
There were two old dears watching and two members of staff, possibly on crowd control duties...

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thank you dear 'Shroomsters for all your advice. I've ordered the book by Mr Phillips. I supposed I'm attracted by the hunter-gatherer urge that still lurks in my primitive body. There's a magic about going out in a small boat with a fishing rod to catch your supper. No input from the industrial food industry and the supermarkets. I got the same buzz from that day seeking out 'shrooms in Scotland.

Top Bottom