Anybody know about 'shrooms?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Thank you dear 'Shroomsters for all your advice. I've ordered the book by Mr Phillips. I supposed I'm attracted by the hunter-gatherer urge that still lurks in my primitive body. There's a magic about going out in a small boat with a fishing rod to catch your supper. No input from the industrial food industry and the supermarkets. I got the same buzz from that day seeking out 'shrooms in Scotland.
Don't bother slomo, if they were any good for consumption someone would be growing them commercially already

Julia9054

Guru
I remember being out on a bike ride with my husband a few years ago. We passed a massive fungus growing out of the side of a tree. Using the trusty Phillips book we identified it as chicken of the woods when we got home. Al promptly hopped back on his bike with his rucksack and went back to get it. He made it into a fabulous stew that fed 6 people!

gbb

Legendary Member
If you're looking for simple mushrooms, there's a simple rules of thumb my dad taught us when we were kids...don't pick any near trees or bushes, only in open grassland..don't pick ones with pale undersides and make sure they peel.
The only time I made a mistake was not heeding dad's ADVICE and saw what looked in every way like a mushroom, but near bushes. Peeled OK, dark undersides...but when I fried them they kinda went red on the underside. Straight in the bin.

Syerston airfield, we used to find massive field mushroom, a foot in diameter and an inch thick. Anyone who tells you button mushrooms are best is simply talking rubbish, the juice alone from those field mushrooms was a delight.

Puffball..tried them...Meh...a strange taste.

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
If you're looking for simple mushrooms, there's a simple rules of thumb my dad taught us when we were kids...don't pick any near trees or bushes, only in open grassland..don't pick ones with pale undersides and make sure they peel.
The only time I made a mistake was not heeding dad's ADVICE and saw what looked in every way like a mushroom, but near bushes. Peeled OK, dark undersides...but when I fried them they kinda went red on the underside. Straight in the bin.

Syerston airfield, we used to find massive field mushroom, a foot in diameter and an inch thick. Anyone who tells you button mushrooms are best is simply talking rubbish, the juice alone from those field mushrooms was a delight.

Puffball..tried them...Meh...a strange taste.
The only rule of thumb that holds good is that there are no rules of thumb! All of those applied at once might decrease your likelihood of picking something dangerous, but none of them works in isolation and taken individually they could be wildly misleading. You can peel death caps (apparently, though I never have), and all sorts of mushrooms grow in association with trees. Some good edibles have bizarre colour responses such as turning bright blue when cut, and some very dangerous things grow in fields. Your red-staining mushroom might be Agaricus silvaticus, which is edible. There is at least one deadly red-staining shroom, and your pale gill rule might arguably protect you from that one - but its pinky gills can be a similar colour to a young field mushroom.

The ginormous field mushroom is most probably a Horse Mushroom. One of the best, as you say, and not tricky to ID. I agree that Giant Puffballs are boring to eat, but they are not boring to find, especially if you are a kid. I once found one way bigger than my head, and was so excited I ran with it to show my mum, tripped and went flying, and shattered it into a thousand pieces.

gbb

Legendary Member
Posted these before, but for the sake of the discussion...
Saw these from several hundred yards away on a ride one day, but I had to cycle about 5 miles to get to them (other side of a river)
Image004.jpg

Once I got there, they were puffballs, like this one..
Image006.jpg

Perhaps their size, and therefore maturity is what made the taste somewhat...err....woody ? Perhaps younger specimens might taste better.

As the above photos show, they were growing in a stubble filed, so it must have been this time of year. I might venture out there again...

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Posted these before, but for the sake of the discussion...
Saw these from several hundred yards away on a ride one day, but I had to cycle about 5 miles to get to them (other side of a river)
Image004.jpg

Once I got there, they were puffballs, like this one..
Image006.jpg

Perhaps their size, and therefore maturity is what made the taste somewhat...err....woody ? Perhaps younger specimens might taste better.

As the above photos show, they were growing in a stubble filed, so it must have been this time of year. I might venture out there again...

Fantastic!

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom