Anybody know about 'shrooms?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You're still alive then, Slomo?
Well...faint twitching..

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I came home from work to find that Amazon had delivered Roger Phillips' "Mushrooms". It's a fantastic book with great photographs and clear descriptions, but it's a bit daunting. I never realised how many types of 'shroom there are. Failing the practical exam could have rather far reaching consequences.

Anyway, here's one not to stick in your omelette, Amanita Phalloides....
IMG_0193.JPG

classic33

Leg End Member
I came home from work to find that Amazon had delivered Roger Phillips' "Mushrooms". It's a fantastic book with great photographs and clear descriptions, but it's a bit daunting. I never realised how many types of 'shroom there are. Failing the practical exam could have rather far reaching consequences.

Anyway, here's one not to stick in your omelette, Amanita Phalloides....
View attachment 142178
Good way of getting rid of noisy neighbours though!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
We had a puffball the size of my diminutive 12 year old head growing in our side-yard. A few would grow every year, but this one was phenomenal. I haven't been back to the ole homestead in 20 years, since my Dad died, until the other day, when our DMV made me prove I am an American by getting my birth certificate. I saw the old house, I did not see any puffballs, but the area seems no longer to be a puffball -friendly environment. (that is putting it politely)

DRM

Guru
In Lofty Wisemans SAS survival manual, he quite rightly says don't bother with mushrooms, it's not worth the risk, with pictures of some rare delicacies, followed by
identical looking highly poisonous ones.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
several Thailand beach vendors will do you a nice Shroom Shake for about 80p!
We were on a remote island in the Gulf of Thailand thirty years ago, living in a palm-roofed shack. Our French neighbours returned to our beach one evening with a very large mushroom, and proceeded at length to discuss the best way of cooking it for tomorrow's lunch. By mid afternoon they were lying in the sand, the edge of the warm sea washing over them, smothering themselves with seaweed, and giggling loudly. They remained there for many hours.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Some of the Seventies and Eighties were a bit of a blur to me as well.
The charming Thai owner of the shack we stayed in also had an open air cafe where we could buy local dishes. The deal was that you were given a small notebook at the beginning of your stay, and wrote in it what you had ordered for meals, trusting us that we would settle up on our last day . One evening, I asked if I could buy some Thai smoking material, and he produced a large bag of vegetation.

"How do I pay you?"

" Just put it in the notebook"

classic33

Leg End Member
The charming Thai owner of the shack we stayed in also had an open air cafe where we could buy local dishes. The deal was that you were given a small notebook at the beginning of your stay, and wrote in it what you had ordered for meals, trusting us that we would settle up on our last day . One evening, I asked if I could buy some Thai smoking material, and he produced a large bag of vegetation.

"How do I pay you?"

" Just put it in the notebook"
A "lab rat" who has mouse problems!

Top Bottom