anyone know this cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know the cyclist shouldn't be on the path. It's there, in my post, where I condemn the cyclist. It is more likely that a rider would use that pavement than others, so I would have kept a tight hold of the toddler. That's not saying the cyclist was innocent, it's saying take care with ankle biters.

Like the cyclist not being on the path, and on the road like he should be.

It could also have been a 12 year old kid riding the bike at that speed down the pavement. Should they be on the road?

U

User6179

I know the cyclist shouldn't be on the path. It's there, in my post, where I condemn the cyclist. It is more likely that a rider would use that pavement than others, so I would have kept a tight hold of the toddler. That's not saying the cyclist was innocent, it's saying take care with ankle biters.

Just for the record Glen , are you saying that pointing out measures that somebody could take to protect themselves after they have had an accident is not victim blaming ?

No, because she's a toddler. I said, stop thinking in terms of blame, they don't apply, the toddler did exactly what toddlers do, blame doesn't come into it.

U

User6179

No, because she's a toddler. I said, stop thinking in terms of blame, they don't apply, the toddler did exactly what toddlers do, blame doesn't come into it.

Your not blaming the toddler though , your blaming the parents .

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
He would have been in a world of pain if he had done that to my daughter.
Cyclists do not belong on the pavement.
Whilst I do not think he should have ridden off, or been on the pavement or even not been paying sufficient attention to what he was doing, maybe this sort of reaction is the reason he rode off, maybe the dad said he was going to tear him limb from limb or words to that effect so he thought he'd make a sharp exit.

I suspect the parents have a much better perception and knowledge of what is likely than a complete stranger who has never been near this area?

cd365

Guru
Whilst I do not think he should have ridden off, or been on the pavement or even not been paying sufficient attention to what he was doing, maybe this sort of reaction is the reason he rode off, maybe the dad said he was going to tear him limb from limb or words to that effect so he thought he'd make a sharp exit.
It looked like to me the father just picked his daughter up, but he could have made threats that we are not aware of.

I suspect the parents have a much better perception and knowledge of what is likely than a complete stranger who has never been near this area?

How come their kid got hit then? If the pavement outside my house leads to a cycle lane I would have a pretty good idea that riders may go past. Through the medium of interpretive dance because writing it down doesn't seem to work, that's not blaming anyone.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I look forward to the Mail covering the news that drivers commit ten hit and runs every day in London alone with the same journalistic impartiality.
Twat in the comments here

I've seen a few twats in Bournemouth so no surprise there.

A twat is a twat full stop. No matter whether they are in control of a tank or a bicycle. They need to be stopped.

Focusing on why drivers get away and cyclists don't is not the way to go about this issue IMHO, it's not a competition.

iggibizzle

This is the road where it happened. Zero need to be on a pavement. Cycle down it often.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 85

.stu

Über Member
As a parent of a 3yo toddler myself, all I can say is that you constantly have to watch out for them as they are ignorant of the dangers around them. The cyclist and the toddler likely couldn't see each other, but the mother was in a position to see both and could have prevented this from happening. The cyclist shouldn't have been going at that speed on the pavement, and should have been more aware that there were potentially children about as he should have seen the young family leaving the house.

I'm not apportioning blame and would be very upset if this had happened to my little girl (especially because I would feel that I had let her down by not looking out for her and would be kicking myself as well as cursing the cyclist) but I do feel that it has to be remembered it was an accident, and no-one went out that morning intending to cause any harm to anyone else.

Top Bottom