Are cyclists exempt from speed limits?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
the answer is correct. I was stopped once for doing 46 mph in a 30 mph limit (ok, it was downhill, i am not indurain)

also cyclists can get points on the license for this (assumes that he cyslist has driving license) and i know somebody who go done for being drunk on a bicycle - no sure if he got pints on his license.
Was you only stopped for a chat or was you fined? the only thing they could do you for is "furious cycling"... doesn't happen a lot due to them not knowing much about the cycling law or any other law for that matter. lol

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
i know somebody who go done for being drunk on a bicycle - no sure if he got pints on his license.

I'm not sure that's going to discourage drunk riding but it's an amusing image.

GC

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I thought cars relied on "engine braking" for when going down hill.
Brake pads are a lot cheaper than clutches. Braking is done with brakes.

As cycles don't have an engine we would have NO brakes pads left if we kept the brakes on all the time when going down hill.
Since brake pads typically last 8-10,000 miles, you must be descending some very long hills if you wear out a set of pads descending them.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Brake pads are a lot cheaper than clutches. Braking is done with brakes.

Since brake pads typically last 8-10,000 miles, you must be descending some very long hills if you wear out a set of pads descending them.
Eek! Is that right? I didn't know you could wear a clutch out when you're not using it. I prefer using a low gear to braking on hills and have never had excessive clutch wear.

[QUOTE 2880515, member: 45"]Pedestrians are very easy to kill by a cyclist at 30mph.[/quote]
Well, they also have traffic lights to abide by. If they choose to cross in the middle of the road, that's their fault. My bike is lit up bright enough at the front to be noticed. Also, most cyclist collisions with peds are not fatal at all. Cyclist is so narrow, just one little turn and it will be the cyclists shoulder hitting the ped. Hardly fatal.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Well, they also have traffic lights to abide by.
Nope: pedestrians are entitled to cross the road at will, they are not subject to traffic lights, pedestrian or otherwise.

ASC1951

Guru
And how do you think that braking effect gets transferred to the wheels ... ?
By the clutch being fully engaged to produce fixed drive. That doesn't wear the clutch, any more than you wear it out in normal motion. You seem to think that the braking effect comes from friction between the clutch plates, which isn't the case.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I once set off one of the old 2 rubber pipes across the road speedtraps going into Huncote village from descending Croft hill in the late 70's, I turned the corner to see a policeman with his hand up whose broad grin vanished when he saw I was a cyclist, I stopped only to be told 48 in a 30 rather ruetully and to "begger off home" at least I think that's what he said:laugh:

Top Bottom