Becoming a landlord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I'm off up to Shetland in July; I intend to go to Unst Fest - do you know if it is worth a visit ? I'd like to know, 'cos it takes a bit of time to get up there, especially since I'd need to make 4 ferry crossings.
Oooh, I don't know anything about Unst Fest. I'll have to Google it. Unst is lovely though :-)

The inter-island ferries aren't usually much bother. At that time of year it's probably worth booking in advance - then you drive up and get on ahead of the people who haven't booked. But you're not tied to the one you've booked - you can get on an earlier or later one if you want to. I've done the South Mainland to Unst and back again in a day - it's not a massive distance.

And watch out for otters while you wait for the ferry.

The self-catering places at Saxa Vord are quite nice if you're looking for somewhere to stay.

I'm hoping to get to Shetland this year too :-)

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Unst is lovely though :-)

Virtually all of Shetland is lovely; I'll feel that I'm on holiday, as soon as I leave my front door.

The self-catering places at Saxa Vord are quite nice if you're looking for somewhere to stay.

I'm pleased to say, I've already got a place to stay - Papil, which is the southernmost part of West Burra Isle . . . . . . . can see Bigton from there. :okay:

I'm hoping to get to Shetland this year too :-)

For a few years, I've been saying exactly this ^^^ . . . . . . . this month, I've actually pulled my finger out and acted - holiday now booked.:wahhey:

bigjim

Legendary Member
I let a four bed semi out to a guy who was a single non working father to 4 kids and was going to be homeless. The DSS paid his rent direct to me for 7 years. I regularly called round and the house was warm, a bit scruffy and the kids happy and content. During this time I [due to letting it with electrical items in situ] had to replace cooker, washing machine, tv, hoover etc. One day I got up to find an envelope behind my door with the keys and a note in it. he had moved out. He had taken all the furniture [including lightbulbs] from the house. Left it filthy and the gardens untended. It cost me a few grand to put it right. I then let it for a while as single rooms. This was a lot better as I was round every Friday for the cash payments and stayed for a brew. The trouble is single males are very transitory, faces changed regularly but the house was kept well. Eventually there was only one occupant. Took him on as a friend knew him so no deposit, but he was working with a reference. A month later he is on the dole and the housing benefit is now being given direct to the tenant. I never saw another penny in rent and he was there for another two months. HB said I would get my money, but I never did. That house has now been stood idle for ten years apart from my kids using it on a temporary basis between their own lets. I don't think I could face the hassle again and will try to sell this year.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Are we meant to empathise?

Part of being an entrepreneur is taking risks. Some you win. Some you lose.
No I don't want your empathy or your bad mannered childish post. Keyboard warrier. Don't be so pathetic! I was a landlord because I could not sell the family home. Not an entrepreneur as you so rudely put it. I'm not a Rachman! I was pointing out the possible pitfalls to others. My apologies for trying to be helpful. You and the person that likes your post need to get real.

Last edited:
OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Virtually all of Shetland is lovely; I'll feel that I'm on holiday, as soon as I leave my front door.

I'm pleased to say, I've already got a place to stay - Papil, which is the southernmost part of West Burra Isle . . . . . . . can see Bigton from there. :okay:

For a few years, I've been saying exactly this ^^^ . . . . . . . this month, I've actually pulled my finger out and acted - holiday now booked.:wahhey:

Excellent, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time. I think Burra is where the bears come from. I haven't explored that part of Shetland.

And since we've resurrected this thread to talk about our holidays I'll just mention that I found some lovely tenants without a problem. They've been in the house a bit over a year and I think they're probably looking after it better than I would. And they're loving living in Shetland too :smile:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Excellent, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time.

I will, thanks.

In 2003 or 2004, I did a 'pub' crawl around Lerwick and had a drink in every bar - there were 7 or 8. I even went into Posers nightclub - possibly, the worst in the UK.

I'm going to try and do a similar round this Summer :cheers:.

I think Burra is where the bears come from.

Yes, that's right - West Burra.

I haven't explored that part of Shetland.

You've missed out, if you've not been to Burra; there are two really great beaches on West Burra. East Burra, which is where my family lived, is very quiet indeed (even by Shetland standards). Both are very beautiful places, with great views over to Foula.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Mod note
A couple of posts have been deleted as they were descending into argument.
As the topic of becoming a landlord seems to have been exhausted (and there is a long-running thread in SC&P if anyone wishes to discuss in more detail), I'm locking the thread.
If anyone wants to continue to discuss Shetland, just start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom