Best sub £200 electric guitar?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

djtheglove said:
I actualy prefered the sound of the Yamaha pacifica (humbucker) you see or I believe the Telecaster is the Squier which alrewady has the humbucker fitted.

I reckon those would still sound a bit weedy - but then a lot of people who buy even top of the range telecasters fit new pickups anyway.

Some nice robust decent sounding guitars are epiphones, which I think are a step down from gibsons. Don't know how much they cost though, but there should be something hovering around the mark.

Rhythm Thief

Veteran
I use Teisco guitars these days. You can pick these up off ebay for as little as £30. The build quality is not great, but they sound like nothing else and very few other people play them. And they've got microphonic pickups so they'll make noises that nothing else will ... I play a wine glass through my guitar on one of our songs.:tongue:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
RT,

to go slightly off topic if I may, I was interested in getting one of those Moondog guitars which was essentially an acoustic but with a circular metal plate in the middle (I wanted to learn bottleneck blues on it). Unfortunately Moondog seems to have gone bust. It looked like a bargain at around 400 quid. Do you know of similar model guitars of that sort of quality at around that price?

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Cheers everyone - that's given me a lot to think about! I think it's coming down to:

1) Yam Pacifica

2) Squier Tele (I'm sorry, I just don't like the look of strats, isn't that terrible) - I just like the nice basic look of them. Just a question - what's the difference in quality between a Squier and a Fender? Is it enough to justify the price?

3) The epiphone Gibson-a-likes that Arb brought up - hadn't seen those before, thought all gibson types were over £500

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Melvil said:
Cheers everyone - that's given me a lot to think about! I think it's coming down to:

1) Yam Pacifica

2) Squier Tele (I'm sorry, I just don't like the look of strats, isn't that terrible) - I just like the nice basic look of them. Just a question - what's the difference in quality between a Squier and a Fender? Is it enough to justify the price?

3) The epiphone Gibson-a-likes that Arb brought up - hadn't seen those before, thought all gibson types were over £500

to the basic musician (such as myself), fairly little. there are loads of arguments over whether the us made fenders are not as good as they were, and seemingly some squiers are better than others. i think rt's advice about getting a squier and upgrading seems spot on.

that approach works with bikes too :ohmy:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Melvil said:

1) Yam Pacifica

You can basically get three Gibson SGs: the Epiphone one (Gibson owned but made in somewhere like Taiwan but still of high quality), a Gibson US made SG Special, which is essentially a proper SG but without the fancy trimmings i.e. it is excellent (that's the guitar I've got) and comes in at about 500 quid if you shop around a bit and then the full blown SGs which can cost over a grand.

Rhythm Thief

Veteran
Andy in Sig said:
RT,

to go slightly off topic if I may, I was interested in getting one of those Moondog guitars which was essentially an acoustic but with a circular metal plate in the middle (I wanted to learn bottleneck blues on it). Unfortunately Moondog seems to have gone bust. It looked like a bargain at around 400 quid. Do you know of similar model guitars of that sort of quality at around that price?

Oddly enough, I've just sold one of those. They're not bad, and you should be able to pick one up on ebay for under £200 (which is what they cost new), unless, like me, you accidentally put an extra zero in your maximum bid.;) You're right, Moondog have gone bump, which is a shame as my Moondog acoustic is a great guitar.

Radius

SHREDDER
I've nothing against Epiphones in particular (although something against Gibsons), but there are definitely QC issues on some of those Epi standard guitars. Dunno, I think you can do better for the money, although some of them look quite good.

mikeitup

Veteran
re

Well...........

Yamaha Pacifica 112.

Excellent value for money. Some pros have been known to use them.

Wish they were around when I started playing (Marlin Sidewinder it was for me)

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Radius said:
I've nothing against Epiphones in particular (although something against Gibsons), but there are definitely QC issues on some of those Epi standard guitars. Dunno, I think you can do better for the money, although some of them look quite good.

Quite agree, except "they look quite good" I think they look like old men's guitars!

Abitrary

Radius said:

There will be quality issues in *any* 200 quid guitar.

Really, the difference between a proper telecaster and a squier, or those fenderish yahaha ones is immense. It just feels so much more robust.

I prefer fender to gibsons, but for that price, then the epiphone will be a lot more solid, bangable.... and have more feisty pickups.

Top Bottom