Better Call Saul

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pplpilot

Guru
I've just started to re-watch Breaking Bad. I must say I think I'm enjoying it more the second time around, you just pick up on the smaller details missed 1st time.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm reviving this thread. The sweet kiss of life.

Who else is really looking forward to series 3?

I wasn't sure about Better call Saul, despite loving Breaking Bad. I assumed it was going to be all about Saul's high-kinks and misadventures with loads or rogue clients, a bit all over the place and not really adding anything.

But since getting into it (three episodes into series 1) I've enjoyed it so much. It's incredible (to me) the imagination used to create such an interesting, yet believable, origins story for a character who in Breaking Bad was mostly light relief/plot enabler. Jimmy, his brother, Kim- what great, complex characters- but it never feels contrived or that the writers have tried too hard to convince you of anything. It's such an enjoyable watch. (My only criticism would be for shoe-horning Tuco in).

I know Jimmy's transformation into Saul is going to likely pick up in S3, but I just hope it doesn't get too "loud" and overdone, because the first 2 series have been very subtle.

View attachment 334959
I was late coming to Breaking Bad, but binge-watched it last year and thought that it was great.

I hesitated to watch Better call Saul, thinking that it might disappoint, but I was bored a few weeks ago and put it on. I soon got hooked on it and finished watching series 2 last week. I am looking forward to season 3, which hopefully will appear on Netflix in a few months time.

Meanwhile ... I bought my stepdaughter the boxed set of The Sopranos on blu-ray for Christmas so we are having a Sopranos evening once a week. She had never seen it before, and I finished watching it about 5 years ago so it is no longer fresh in my mind and well worth a second viewing. There are 86 episodes in total so allowing for a few missed weeks we will probably finish at about Christmas this year. We might sell the set on eBay then and put the cash towards another boxed set. It's a cheapish way of doing it. The set cost about £60 but I think we should be able to get £30+ for it.

Stepsprog recommended Peaky Blinders. I didn't bother watching it when first broadcast but found it on NetFlix last night and watched episode 1. I'm not quite sure about the dodgy Brummie and Northern Irish accents but I'll stick with it! :okay:

I also recommend The Shield.

I want to give The Wire another go. I never quite got into it at the time but thought that I would revisit it one day.

For young uns such as yourself @Starchivore ... You might never have seen the show which blazed the trail for these programmes - Hill Street Blues. You can catch most (if not all?) of the episodes on catchup on All 4 - HERE. The first few series were a breath of fresh air. I vaguely remember that it got a bit schmaltzy towards the end of its run, but give it a go and see what you think. (I'm sure that it will not have the same impact now that it did at the time because so many shows you will have seen derived so much from it. I also think that changed attitudes will make certain things seem more shocking or sometimes less shocking now.)

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
I want to give The Wire another go. I never quite got into it at the time but thought that I would revisit it one day.

For young uns such as yourself @Starchivore ... You might never have seen the show which blazed the trail for these programmes - Hill Street Blues. You can catch most (if not all?) of the episodes on catchup on All 4 - HERE. The first few series were a breath of fresh air. I vaguely remember that it got a bit schmaltzy towards the end of its run, but give it a go and see what you think. (I'm sure that it will not have the same impact now that it did at the time because so many shows you will have seen derived so much from it. I also think that changed attitudes will make certain things seem more shocking or sometimes less shocking now.)

I really enjoyed The Sopranos too. How they make you like Tony in a weird way, but then he does something pretty awful.... but then he does something pretty good.... has you all over the place! And all the Italian-American cultural aspects of it are very interesting to see (not saying it's representative though!!)

I think The Wire is up there with Breaking Bad for me- but it does take quite a few episodes and careful watching to get into. I missed so many things the first time.

Hill Street Blues... No I haven't heard of it- but I'll give it a watch, yeah, sounds interesting.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I watched a lot of The Wire again recently when my son got into it - he was too young the first time round. It is even better on repeat viewing than first time around, and I'm convinced it's the best thing that's ever been on telly.

My parents were massively into Hill Street Blues - I remember it but I was a bit young for it first time around. Really ought to give it a proper go some time.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I was well into Hill street blues, But that does seem a little dated now.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was well into Hill street blues, But that does seem a little dated now.
I'm sure that you are right. It was ahead of its time, but it was first screened 36 years ago (makes me feel old!!!) and the world has changed a lot since then!

We might as well mention NYPD Blue while we are at it! That would be worth a watch too, though I'm not sure where it is available these days. (I think that went downhill after a few series, but that is usually the case.)

Colin_P

Guru
Another one that is well worth a watch is the Walking Dead. I was sceptical thinking zombies, nah that's going to be naff, honestly zombies, pffff, not going to watch that. Some may have noticed a few months back there was a load of fuss about the next series of the Walking Dead starting, lots of hype and publicity and again my thoughts were, zombies nah that has got to be rubbish.

Recently we got amazon prime and they just happened to have it on there. What harm could a little look at it do we said. Totally hooked. Amazon have the first five series on there for free (not free free as you have to pay for amazon prime). Not content with that, the sixth series was £16 which I gladly paid which then left the current series. In desperation, I went out and bought a Sky NowTV box for another £20 or so quid so we could watch the first half of the current series. It is currently on one of those mid season breaks but returns in a week or two, we cannot wait.

Anyway, you may think zombie things are naff, totally implausible and not your thing, so did we, just like we thought a program with that bloke from malcom in the middle making drugs was. How wrong, walking dead is a guilty pleasure and so, so watchable.

I watched a lot of The Wire again recently when my son got into it - he was too young the first time round. It is even better on repeat viewing than first time around, and I'm convinced it's the best thing that's ever been on telly.

My parents were massively into Hill Street Blues - I remember it but I was a bit young for it first time around. Really ought to give it a proper go some time.
HSB was good at the time and all credit to it but The Wire is timeless... Hill Street Blues was really good, but The Wire is up there as one of the greats... ('great' being a really overused term)

Last edited:
Another one that is well worth a watch is the Walking Dead. I was sceptical thinking zombies, nah that's going to be naff, honestly zombies, pffff, not going to watch that. Some may have noticed a few months back there was a load of fuss about the next series of the Walking Dead starting, lots of hype and publicity and again my thoughts were, zombies nah that has got to be rubbish.

Recently we got amazon prime and they just happened to have it on there. What harm could a little look at it do we said. Totally hooked. Amazon have the first five series on there for free (not free free as you have to pay for amazon prime). Not content with that, the sixth series was £16 which I gladly paid which then left the current series. In desperation, I went out and bought a Sky NowTV box for another £20 or so quid so we could watch the first half of the current series. It is currently on one of those mid season breaks but returns in a week or two, we cannot wait.

Anyway, you may think zombie things are naff, totally implausible and not your thing, so did we, just like we thought a program with that bloke from malcom in the middle making drugs was. How wrong, walking dead is a guilty pleasure and so, so watchable.
The Walking Dead is pretty cleaver - very well made and cast - defiantly a slow burner and, if you stick with it, intelligent in it's character development... up there with some of the best TV at the moment... the spin off is pretty watchable as well (but not as good as Better Call Saul is to Breaking Bad) - defiantly worth a watch if you can stand the genera...

Top Bottom