Bike weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
28.2 kg with the basket on. And that's before 14-15 kg of 3 year old gets on the back. Blimey.

Makes mine seem light, even with all the mud it acquired yesterday.

RegG

Über Member
How are you guys weighing your bikes? Yes, I know scales come in handy but what sort are you using?

blazed

220lb+
How are you guys weighing your bikes? Yes, I know scales come in handy but what sort are you using?
I put various weights on my left palm, so say I put 8kg in total. Then lift my bike with my right palm, depending which arm goes up or down I know whether its lighter/heavier than 8kg or not. Adjust the weights until you get a balance.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Bathroom scales. I lift the bike up with its rear wheel resting on the scales, and support it just enough to keep it upright. It works well enough.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a really good luggage scale that I take on holiday with me. I've had electronic ones in the past but they always break/go flat when you need them. This one isn't and doesn't. It's a really useful thing to have.

I have in the past weighed my bikes with it but I can't for the life of me remember how much they weigh.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear

Spring balance, suspended from my repair stand. I considered using the bathroom scales but I'd have to walk along the road carrying them.

Tim Hall

I think I've weighed one bike in my life. Can't remember what the weight was though. @User commented how heavy my Mercian was at the start of a FNRTTC. He later forgave me, as part of the weight was attributed to a spare cleat bolt in my tool kit which saved the day at the end of Lonesome Lane.

(I use the stand on scales with and without the bike method)

KneesUp

Guru
I'm also using the bathroom scales to weigh me and then me and the bike method. As our scales were cheap, I do this three times and average it out :smile:

I've not weighed either for a long while, but from memory:

Bike 1: Steel fully rigid MTB with drop bar conversion, rear rack, lights, mud guuards and empty bottle cage was about 14kg. With panniers full of work stuff (change of clothes, lock, laptop) and it's well over 20kg.

Bike 2: Steel Peugeot road bike c.1979. About 6 or 7kg from memory. Mind you it has no saddle, cranks, bar tape, chain or front derallieur. Must attend to that. I guess it will 12-13kg when rideable.

si_c

Guru
Bike 2: Steel Peugeot road bike c.1979. About 6 or 7kg from memory. Mind you it has no saddle, cranks, bar tape, chain or front derallieur. Must attend to that. I guess it will 12-13kg when rideable.

I have a 61cm steel Peugeot from the early 1980s, fully built up that's around 10.5kg (including pedals, bottle cage etc). It's a bit more at the moment as I've also got mudguards on.

Ajax Bay

Guru
People may find it interesting to measure the weight borne by each tyre separately, in whatever loaded or unloaded configuration desired. This can be easily done if you've got a turbo (put the scales where the front wheel block would be), or otherwise position the (bathroom) scales under the front wheel and climb on, supported by eg edge of a worksurface. Needs a second person to read off. Then
using the bathroom scales to weigh me and then me and the bike method
- the difference will give you the rear wheel weight (obv). The front/rear percentages can apparently vary between 35/65 to a more equal 45/55. In any case this can be used to inform tyre pressures eg with www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

Top Bottom