Calderdale off-road forum ride from Hebden Bridge, Saturday, 25th March 2023, 53 km (33 miles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Just got back from doing just under 20km locally (gravel and chores) with over 1000 ft ascent - its blowing a gale, gusting strong enough to push me sideways and stop the bike on lesser descents. On the plus side it was dry and occasionally sunny.
If it does the same tomorrow, I can live with that though it will suck up the battery.
Have the car back so I am now conflicted about what to use tomorrow morn.

bluenotebob

Veteran
Hardtail is an MTB with front suspension only where as a full Sus has both front and rear suspension.

Thanks - that makes perfect sense.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, have a great ride tomorrow all.
Thanks, Brian.

As you may be able to tell, I have been a bit preoccupied with getting ready for this ride, which is why I forgot to reply to your last PM! I will make sure to PM you Sunday or Monday to catch up on news.

I've been keeping an eye on several forecasts. I'm still up for it and I don't mind the odd shower, but less enthusiastic if it's going to piss down all day.

Met Office and BBC seem to agree on about 9 or 10C and a fair bit of rain, whereas Metcheck suggests 5-6C and not much rain. 🤷‍♂️
I don't fancy a deluge either but TBH I think that there will be some rainy spells. We are not going to get a forecast of dry all day, and even if we did, I wouldn't trust it! :laugh:

Unless there is heavy rain when I set off, I will wear what I wore in the earlier photos but carry a lightweight 'boil-in-the-bag' rain jacket just in case.

Just got back from doing just under 20km locally (gravel and chores) with over 1000 ft ascent - its blowing a gale, gusting strong enough to push me sideways and stop the bike on lesser descents. On the plus side it was dry and occasionally sunny.
If it does the same tomorrow, I can live with that though it will suck up the battery.
Have the car back so I am now conflicted about what to use tomorrow morn.
I nipped out on the MTB to check the fork pressure. All seemed good when I deliberately rode over some potholes and kerbs at speed. Instead of bottoming out, the fork only used 50% of its travel, was much more comfortable, and without the worrying clanking noises that I'd experienced on my ride on Wednesday. After I returned, I swapped to my singlespeed bike to do my 30 minute local loop for the 3-a-week challenge. I certainly noticed that wind! I think it will still be very breezy tomorrow, but not quite as bad as today.

Bring some cash in case we call in at May's Farm Shop. It is easy to think that all businesses take cards now but I still find the odd one that doesn't! (Including one in Hebden Bridge on Monday. I had to go out to a cash machine to get the money to pay for a curry that I'd had with a couple of other people. They trusted me to go back with the loot!)

So, short of overnight catastrophe, it sounds like me, @Dadam, and @FrothNinja. Will you be coming along too, @Vantage? Anyone else fancy joining us at short notice?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Afraid not sir. Just had an expensive sewing machine repair bill so can't afford the train.
That's a pity. I sympathise - I was in the same boat until my state pension finally arrived last year. Not being able to afford simple trips and kit is a real pain.

It is so nice now being in a position to spend the money needed to sort my MTB out. It packed up before the pandemic and I couldn't afford to fix it until now.

Plus I feel like crap lately
I hope that you feel better soon.

Maybe next ride.
Hopefully, I will be organising another one of these offroad rides some time. What I definitely will be organising is the 3rd of my road rides, from Hebden Bridge to Bob's Tearoom (as recommended by you). That will probably be late April/early May.

Enjoy your ride fellows.
Thanks - we'll try!

10 am at the café then?
Yes. I won't be wanting a coffee before setting off so I will aim to get there just a few minutes before. (I will be diving behind enough bushes and dry stone walls as it is without preloading drinks!) If you will be wanting a pre-ride drink at that café, try to be finishing it at 10:00 not starting it then! :okay:

FrothNinja

Veteran
That's a pity. I sympathise - I was in the same boat until my state pension finally arrived last year. Not being able to afford simple trips and kit is a real pain.

It is so nice now being in a position to spend the money needed to sort my MTB out. It packed up before the pandemic and I couldn't afford to fix it until now.

I hope that you feel better soon.

Hopefully, I will be organising another one of these offroad rides some time. What I definitely will be organising is the 3rd of my road rides, from Hebden Bridge to Bob's Tearoom (as recommended by you). That will probably be late April/early May.

Thanks - we'll try!

Yes. I won't be wanting a coffee before setting off so I will aim to get there just a few minutes before. (I will be diving behind enough bushes and dry stone walls as it is without preloading drinks!) If you will be wanting a pre-ride drink at that café, try to be finishing it at 10:00 not starting it then! :okay:

Will be checking this post before I leave & when I get there so please post if the forecast leads to cancellation.
Cheers, see you tomorrow.

Jameshow

Veteran
Enjoy guys, sorry not to be there!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Blimey, the weather was bad overnight! I am hard of hearing but was still woken up a couple of times by the stormy conditions... :eek:

Fortunately, things are calming down a lot now. I think it will still be damp and windy so we will have to dress accordingly.

If we wanted to, we could cut out a descent and climb out of the middle of the ride by heading straight to Blackshaw Head from Edge Lane. Let's see how things are when we get there.

I assume that you both have smartphones and check back in here for updates after you set off from home?

Dadam

I’ll be setting off about 8.40 which should get me in about 9.30 with some leeway. I’ll check here when I get there and park

FrothNinja

Veteran
Leaving at 8:30sh
Bike is a sod to get in and out of the car & I will be parking where it is free & cycling down to the cafe. Any steep rock is going to be slippery & I suspect my mudguards will be earning their living.
Will be checking before I extract the bike.
Heaviest at what looks like our starting and finishing times

FrothNinja

Veteran
Latest met forecast for the area - ok for UV levels. Maybe at the café at a similar time to Dam. Will be on a Focus
DSC_6177~2.JPG

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes, I think I will skip the sunblock today! :laugh:

The top part of the descent from Great Rock might be a bit slick so extra care needed there.

I will probably have put a yellow rain jacket on over (or instead of) my blue gilet. Anyway, you should recognise the bike. I will look out for 2 ebike owners standing in a puddle... :whistle:

Password challenge phrase: "Who is responsible for this madness?"

Password: "CycleChat"!

Jameshow

Veteran
Yes, I think I will skip the sunblock today! :laugh:

The top part of the descent from Great Rock might be a bit slick so extra care needed there.

I will probably have put a yellow rain jacket on over (or instead of) my blue gilet. Anyway, you should recognise the bike. I will look out for 2 ebike owners standing in a puddle... :whistle:

Password challenge phrase: "Who is responsible for this madness?"

Password: "CycleChat"!

Got the ginger beer and jam sandwiches organised?!!!

Top Bottom