Calderdale off-road forum ride from Hebden Bridge, Saturday, 25th March 2023, 53 km (33 miles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I noticed that the rear tyre has gone flat... I'm really glad that didn't happen up on the moors in one of those heavy showers!

I remember seeing one small patch of broken glass on the way back from Hebden Bridge but I thought that I had avoided it all. I'll fix it tomorrow and see if I can find what caused it.
I just took the tyre off and investigated. I can't find any damage to the tyre. The hole in the tube is very small, about 5 cm from the valve, and is located over the centre of the rim tape rather than in part of the tube exposed to the tyre. The rim tape is intact and correctly located. The hole is not on a seam in the tube (I have had failures along seams before). VERY curious!

I did notice that the rim tape was a bit grubby. I reckon that what probably happened was that some of the gritty mud we rode through somehow got in through the valve hole in the rim. There was probably a tiny piece of sharp grit that eventually penetrated the tube. I'll clean the tube, the rim, the rim tape and the tyre before putting the repaired tube back in.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Maybe not listed as such but just (and I'd agree) CRT keen to retain the original features. A wider plank though at least shouldn't impact it too much.

EDIT
Canal and River Trust replied already, it is as I thought and they want to preserve (rightly) the cobbled section and weirs as they as as much as possible, but they are aware the current access accross them is restrictive for many users. They are working on it so hopefully something will still improve on them
EDIT ENDS

Back to the bikes though lol What was @FrothNinja riding? I've looked up the Focus bike website and they are definately bikes I'd aspire to upgrading to.

Sorry for the delay in reply - been riding in the Southern Uplands for the last couple of days. @Dadam has the correct bike but mine is a couple of years older. The motor is amazing and the stock equipment (including the tyres) is good.
At some stage I will add a short travel dropper & upgrade the front forks, but I do ride it off road a lot
There is some onboard footage on my FrothNinja YT channel

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in reply - been riding in the Southern Uplands for the last couple of days. @Dadam has the correct bike but mine is a couple of years older. The motor is amazing and the stock equipment (including the tyres) is good.
At some stage I will add a short travel dropper & upgrade the front forks, but I do ride it off road a lot
There is some onboard footage on my FrothNinja YT channel

No problem cheers. It looks very capable offroad and reminds me a lot of my none electric Giant Toughroad (basically a none suspension MTB). The Raleigh Motus is ok for towpaths/good trails but I have a feeling I'd rattle it to bits taking it fully offroad.

Will loot at the YT channel as well. :okay:

FrothNinja

Veteran
Hmm, I don't know why I was going down quite that slowly. I remember you flying past me but I thought that I was descending much quicker than that! :laugh:

Don't think you were trying on that one - not sure I have vid of the one when you were caning it. Will look though.

Dadam

I'll have a look through the clips on my Cycliq dashcam ("bar cam"). Unfortunately the battery died after about 2 hrs so only got the earlier part.

Dadam

It shows how observant I am... I only noticed FN's GoPro setup when he swapped another camera in. I didn't notice yours at all! :wacko:

It's mounted underneath the light, the Garmin is on top. You can see it inside the bar in this blowup from my pic over in the electric bike forum
1680180100277.png

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Canal and River Trust replied already, it is as I thought and they want to preserve (rightly) the cobbled section and weirs as they as as much as possible, but they are aware the current access accross them is restrictive for many users. They are working on it so hopefully something will still improve on them

I just had a Labour Party leaflet posted through my letterbox. Look what's included on it...

Rochdale canal weir.jpg

It is a shame that they illustrated the problem with the only cobbled spillway/weir on that stretch of towpath that is NOT a problem because it already has a wide footbridge!! :laugh:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
And shes not even wearing a helmet, disgusting :whistle:

Indeed, very refreshing.

Just slightly off topic for a moment and not wanting to go THERE* but, was cycling through the lanes of east Cheshire yesterday with some mates enjoying the pleasant environ when a small group of cyclists passed us heading in the other direction. One of the group shouted out at me quite aggressively "Where's your helmet?" as we passed. I really had no idea that the wearing of helmets was compulsory, or that the police deployed plain clothes officers to enforce this...... Really, can't these people contain their aggression, even on a Sunday in the countryside?

*You know where.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Indeed, very refreshing.

Just slightly off topic for a moment and not wanting to go THERE* but, was cycling through the lanes of east Cheshire yesterday with some mates enjoying the pleasant environ when a small group of cyclists passed us heading in the other direction. One of the group shouted out at me quite aggressively "Where's your helmet?" as we passed. I really had no idea that the wearing of helmets was compulsory, or that the police deployed plain clothes officers to enforce this...... Really, can't these people contain their aggression, even on a Sunday in the countryside?

*You know where.

Naughty hijacker.....however, if not riding with newbies or kids then its up to the individual.

Top Bottom