Calling all Nexus 7 owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

My 2012 Nexus 7 runs CyanogenMod 12 (which is Lollipop) no probs.

I flash with the latest nightly build on a weekly basis (I like to live dangerously!) and, touch wood, don't have problems. I always back it up first though, just in case.

Truth is, I don't keep anything of importance on it anyway so a complete wipe and reload is not a problem.

And I dropped my working great 5.1 and smashed the digitiser :'(

andyfraser

Über Member
All of my Nexus's are now on 5.1.1 and all are working well now. 5.1.1, possibly with a factory reset and not restoring a backup, seems to be the charm.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Took me ages to figure out how to restore my daughter's tablet back to 4.4.4. Unlocking bootloader, fast boot..etc. I finally got got it done after spneding hours reading instructions off various websites, then I found an excellent piece of software that somebody had made that does it all just by a mouse click. The tablet is finally as good as I remember it from new a few years ago. It's lost no functionality.from lollipop, and better in every department.
Android upgrade my ****

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Would you care to share the link?

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

I already had the drivers installed on my Nexus from when I'd been messing about (I think these are the USB driver and fastboot or something), so I didn't have to click on that field on the program.

Basically, enable USB debugging on the tablet. Settings/About Tablet/ go down to the Build number, tap it 7 times, then use the back button once, tap Developer Options/Enable USB debugging. When you connect the tablet to the PC (running Nexus Root Toolkit) a little box will come up showing the Nexus' USB debugging code or something, just click Allow.

On Nexus Root Toolkit,

Click "Full Driver Installation Guide and Instructions"

Click "Unlock Bootloader"

Click "Flash Stock and Unroot". Select to download and install Android 4.4.4 KTU84P, or you can try any, but I believe this is the best for the 7.

Click "OEM Lock", this just locks the Bootloader again (you won't see the unlocked, lock every time the tablet boots up0.

I believe that the program works on most Nexus products. Maybe it's more than 1 click, but way easier than the other methods, as all the complicated commands etc are done by the application. You could also use this to Root your tablet if you wanted, but the Nexus 7 isn't full of annoying Bloatware, like Samsung products, for example, have been in my experience.

All of the steps above take a bit of time for the program to do it stuff, and it will obviously wipe all data. The only thing that you will need to do is select "Yes" on the tablet screen when asked about unlocking Bootloader. The program tells you all this though. When the Nexus is in Boot mode, the vol UP/DOWN buttons are scroll, The POWER button is enter. I just had to press the Power button, as YES (to unlock) was highlighted.

Note: You'll still get the annoying message to upgrade your software. To stop this irritation, Long Press on the notification itself. On the App information screen Un-check, Enable Notifications. Or it could be disable them, it's easy though. I'm not sure if this disables all update notifications, but just check manually every so often if it does.

Last edited:

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
[QUOTE 4251881, member: 45"]Mine has stopped working completely. Won't charge.[/QUOTE]
There's plenty of advice on the net on how to recover it. If it comes to it, the circuit board with the USB socket on is quite cheap and not too difficult to replace - the hardest part is getting in the case. Make sure you get a genuine socket, though.

Top Bottom