Camping weekend - East Yorkshire 23rd July - 26th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Was in the Wrygarth Inn the other night & they have entertainment booked for next Saturday as it's the 1st anniversary of the re-opening & it may get quite busy, so we could do with booking a table.
Can anyone that is planning on eating there on the Saturday night let me know in the next day or so. The carvery is £6, other meals are available around £8 IIRC & fantastic deserts :biggrin: are around £4
I'm thinking about 7.30-8pm for the table ? Thoughts on that??

Also can people let me know roughly when they plan to arrive?
I know Velocidad will be there on Friday
Helen & Arch will be arriving Saturday after the sportive.

Anyone planning on coming over Thursay evening for the cyclists service at Goxhill church?

PS the entertainment at the pub is a Trevor Ogilvie :smile: doing songs from the swing era. Don't worry if you don't like that kind of thing, you'll hardly hear it in the restaurant :smile:

HelenD123

Legendary Member
As long as there's something vegetarian or fishy put me down for eating in the pub. If we're starting the sportive at 8.30 I guess we'll be done by lunchtime. I think my plans from then on will be weather dependent...

HelenD123 said:
vegetarian or fishy

Not the carvery then :evil:

I'll assume there is pie available in the pub as it should be illegal for pubs not to serve it. Be it either meat, apple or both. Both is good. Myself and son both for the pub. (He's 13 so will have to be restaurant or whatever arrangement they have for kids for him and me)

Restaurant looks nice

Should be getting there mid afternoon Saturday.

BTW Where exactly is there - the paddock?

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Piemaster said:
Not the carvery then :evil:

I'll assume there is pie available in the pub as it should be illegal for pubs not to serve it. Be it either meat, apple or both. Both is good. Myself and son both for the pub. (He's 13 so will have to be restaurant or whatever arrangement they have for kids for him and me)

Restaurant looks nice

They have a pasty chef so you should be fine:tongue:! (I assume it should be 'pastry chef';)).

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Piemaster said:
BTW Where exactly is there - the paddock?
I suppose it would help if I tell everyone :angry:

It's on Cliff Lane, Mappleton (HU18 1XS gets you close) Head down towards the beach & the last paddock on the right hand side, with an old Anderson shelter & an orange horse box is the place to be :sad:

Anyone riding there via the TPT should leave the TPT at Hatfield, head east through the village & then left & right takes you onto mappleton lane :biggrin:

If anyone is driving over for part or all the weekend (Admin), you are welcome to park in the paddock rather than the public car park

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
HelenD123 said:
As long as there's something vegetarian or fishy put me down for eating in the pub.

They have a vegetarian option (a mushroom parcel type food :angry: IIRC) & last week they had a fish option the specials board, but can;t remember what it was :sad:
You could always just have 2 puddings :biggrin:

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Plans for the weekend (but subject to change if anyone wants to :angry: )

Friday - Ride over to Beverley to watch cycle racing & have a few shandies. Leave mappleton around 6.30 for a steady ride over & then after the racing head back about 9 & make it back just before it's too dark.

Saturday - Leave Mappleton about 7am to do the sportive ride in Beverley. Not sure what time we'll arrive back in mappleton, but hopefully time for a short rest & then a gentle 3 mile cycle to Wrygarth for evening meal.

Sunday - Short ride on quiet country roads to Mr Moos for ice creams :sad: Open to suggestions on start time for ride & if people want to get back for the TDF we can manage that & everyone is welcome to call at mine to watch the final stage if they like

Shaun

Founder
Soltydog said:
Sunday - Short ride on quiet country roads to Mr Moos for ice creams :smile: Open to suggestions on start time for ride & if people want to get back for the TDF we can manage that & everyone is welcome to call at mine to watch the final stage if they like

I'm hoping to make the Sunday morning.

What time are you thinking of setting off?

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Soltydog said:
They have a vegetarian option (a mushroom parcel type food :laugh: IIRC) & last week they had a fish option the specials board, but can;t remember what it was :smile:
You could always just have 2 puddings :laugh:

It had crossed my mind, especially as they're home made:tongue:.

I might be able to make Beverley on Friday if I can get a passout.

I actually lived in Aldbrough for a few years and went through Mappleton last week on my first ever imperial 1/2 century. Hull-Withernsea-Hornsea-Hull.
Dipped toes in the sea at Witernsea and Hornsea but skipped Mappleton as wasn't aware beach was accessible (or at least it looks like it on the google maps photo).

zacklaws

Guru
I have not been able to make my mind up about this weekend and do not want to commit myself, as I love camping and spend most of the year out doors under canvass when I get chance, but after todays effort on the 100k, it has left me too fatigued, I was thinking of coming through on Saturday afternoon after the ride in my car with camping stuff plus bike in back but if I feel like I do now, just wanting to go to bed, I think i'll just die in bed at home. I may be just severely dehydrated thats left me in this state to day and no mood for anything, I had lost 3lb in weight from setting off to getting home so thats not too good and my left side at the back is killing me.

But there again next week, I may be fitter, wiser and not so fatigued.

Anyway just packed for work in morning and 11 hours in bed now.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Count me in for the pub, and I'll eat anything. Except mushroom parcel type food :blush: (mushrooms!)

Ooh, I'm looking forward to this. Well, most of it. There are some hills I'm trying not to think of.

Shaun

Founder
Arch said:
There are some hills I'm trying not to think of.

Hills? HILLS? No one said anything about HILLS!!!

I heard Ice Cream ... and the rest was a blur after that ... :laugh:

Admin said:

I heard Ice Cream ... and the rest was a blur after that ... :evil:

East Yorkshire hills..?? More undulations surely - I've cycled in Norway. ;)

I can't think of anything I've cycled up locally higher than the Humber Bridge. Does that count?

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Admin said:

I heard Ice Cream ... and the rest was a blur after that ... :biggrin:

Don't worry, on sunday the ice creams will be bigger than the hills :biggrin: :ohmy:

Mowed the paddock yesterday & despite the recent rain, the ground is still quite hard, so all you campers best bring some decent tent pegs ;)

Top Bottom