"Can I listen to headphones whilst riding / training"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I sometimes wear headphones when watching movies late at night.

I know i know, I'm a fool. How can i hear the sound of fire crackling, fizzing and popping in the kitchen?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It doesn't "block" anything. With earphones in you still hear more than drivers.
What's the point in comparing it to cars because then you might as well say that cyclists need rear-view and door mirrors as standard? Cars have mirrors which things behind you can catch your eye even if not looking directly. Listening out is not as important.

Unless you have mirrors on your bike, if you sound is also blocked, you might not be drawn attention to someone screeching or revving up behind you.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
It doesn't "block" anything. With earphones in you still hear more than drivers.

So are you suggesting that you hearing is as crystal clear with headphones as it is without ? If you are then carry on but my personal view is that that theory is bollox.

Clearer than for drivers, by 20db, yes.

If earphone-wearing by cyclists is so terribly awful and reckless can you find the practice cited in a fatal RTC?

I check behind regularly. Its about being drawn attention to someone behind during the moments you are not looking backwards. Like I say, in a car, the mirrors are in my peripheral vision. Things can draw my attention. A cyclist who can't hear will only know what's behind at the times they look.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Clearer than for drivers, by 20db, yes.

If earphone-wearing by cyclists is so terribly awful and reckless can you find the practice cited in a fatal RTC?

I still call bollox however if you want to carry on wearing them in the misguided impression that your hearing is not affected then carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom