Carlton Resto

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:biggrin: Just bought this Carlton Racer for a winter restoration project it beats sitting in front of the telly!:rolleyes:

Attachments

• C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 437
  • C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 391

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Looks interesting, like the Courier 66s. Any model name on it? I see it has Capella lugs so that dates it before c1968. The Courier brakes date from c1961 so you have a time frame. Check the frame for the prefix letter on the number stamped on the rear drop out.

I saw that on ebay! I was really tempted - chuffed to see it's gone to a good home.
:biggrin: Yes quite lucky with this one bloke selling it was messed about by the previous buyer who never paid for it I asked how much was it to (buy it now) We both agreed a price and its now coming back to its spiritual home where it was born.I,m well pleased with this one having owned the same type of bike when I was at school its even the same colour apart from the seat This one will get the full restoration treatment I,v already spoken to a few ex Carlton Cycle Guys to ask what bits they have stashed in their sheds :wub: I will post some more pictures soon as it arrives safe and sound here in my workshop :hello:

Looks interesting, like the Courier 66s. Any model name on it? I see it has Capella lugs so that dates it before c1968. The Courier brakes date from c1961 so you have a time frame. Check the frame for the prefix letter on the number stamped on the rear drop out.
:biggrin: Carlton bike arrived first thing this morning (Wed) Lots of rusty bits The frame number is G2143 & the only names on it model wise are "Clubman" in gold letters I,m quite pleased with the bike & what I paid for it inc the delivery charge from North Wales this should make a very nice restoration project & keep Me out of trouble for a while :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC03156.JPG
    DSC03156.JPG
    476.2 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC03161.JPG
    DSC03161.JPG
    379.2 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC03159.JPG
    DSC03159.JPG
    314.9 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC03152.JPG
    DSC03152.JPG
    389.7 KB · Views: 128

Spokesmann

1959 was the year Carlton introduced those lugs. Not sure if its a Clubman special. They had a whole group of bikes built around those lugs, Catalina-/1/special/all chrome as well as the Clubman.

This may help:

http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/mybikes/59clubman.htm

:biggrin: Couple of Guys who worked at "The Cycles" confirmed tonight its a 59 Clubman & a product of "Dock Road" so anything made & found from that place nowdays is very special indeed. I,m very glad its back in the Town where it belongs! :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC03165.JPG
    DSC03165.JPG
    381.2 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC03160.JPG
    DSC03160.JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC03161.JPG
    DSC03161.JPG
    379.2 KB · Views: 102

Spokesmann

Looks to be a great candidate for restoration. I see a TD Cross BB too.

Those cotter nuts look like they may give you a bit of resistance. Plenty of easing oil may help here!

Keep the pictures coming.

Looks to be a great candidate for restoration. I see a TD Cross BB too.

Those cotter nuts look like they may give you a bit of resistance. Plenty of easing oil may help here!

Keep the pictures coming.
:hello: Cotter pins were a breeze compared to the stem that didn,t want to come off it was welded solid. I tried all the usual tricks to free it off including soaking it in oil for a few days, boiling hot water,brute,force, Mmmmmmm no chance I ended up using a hacksaw & the hot spanner "Oxy welding torch"Real shame as I wanted to save the GB Stem but needs be needs must because I need this frame off to the bead blasters as soon as possible ready to get the frame painted till next time regards The Flier :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC03181.JPG
    DSC03181.JPG
    414.9 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC03182.JPG
    DSC03182.JPG
    435.3 KB · Views: 115

Spokesmann

Judging by the frame condition its spent a little time in a damp environment, shame about the stem, the forks would have been harder to replace.

Judging by the frame condition its spent a little time in a damp environment, shame about the stem, the forks would have been harder to replace.
:biggrin: Yes I think you are right its been somewhere very damp I,m really miffed about losing that stem but as you say better to lose that than the front forks & thats what would have happened if I,d forced it any more the stem was solid/welded to the forks even with oxy Acc it didn,t want to move.The frame is now stripped & ready for some careful bead blasting all that needs removing is the bearing cups & the Carlton badge a couple more pictures :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC03183.JPG
    DSC03183.JPG
    463.6 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC03184.JPG
    DSC03184.JPG
    452.9 KB · Views: 110
Top Bottom