Carlton Resto

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh this is not good !! You have just shown me a gap that could be filled after i got rid of my four wheeled classic.....classic cycles !
:hello: And a very good place to start your very next vintage project is eBay there is a bloke up your way in Mancunia selling vintage racing bikes all the time plus He will deliver to your door for a tenner if you are local. Double gutted about cutting & warming up the vintage GB stem as it was Hiduminium Alloy Mmmmm sods law! :angry:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
:hello: And a very good place to start your very next vintage project is eBay there is a bloke up your way in Mancunia selling vintage racing bikes all the time plus He will deliver to your door for a tenner if you are local. Double gutted about cutting & warming up the vintage GB stem as it was Hiduminium Alloy Mmmmm sods law! :angry:
I can see the "Boss" getting a tad worried now,at least classic cycles do not take up much room !

:hello: Rebuilt the front forks with new bearings fitted a good second-hand stem & alloy bars/brake levers cables to replace the seized on GB stem & bent handle bars that needed to be cut off the new bars will get retaped up with black cloth tape (none of that cork rubbish.) I,v fitted some newish Weinmann sidepull brakes till I can find some NOS centre cables for the GB Courier brakes because the ones fitted were very rusty & horrible (rear cable is just a trial fit before its cut to fit the Carlton brazed on fittings) Bottom bracket has been fitted with new bearings & greased but it still needs replacing which I will do when I can find a good double alloy chain ring set to convert to 10 speed.Seat fitted is on just till the bike is built up then a leather brooks one will replace it I have a new front wheel but I need a new rear 27 x 1 1/4 so the search continues for that plus a few chrome bits bobs till the next time regards The Flier :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC03193.JPG
    DSC03193.JPG
    398.9 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC03195.JPG
    DSC03195.JPG
    390.7 KB · Views: 108

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
That frame has so much character! even though its a little rough there is something about a nice quality frame from this era. To me these old lugged steel frames are simply streets ahead aesthetically from todays stuff.

I would say it needs a nice Brooks saddle or even a Lycett Swallow if you can get one!

That frame has so much character! even though its a little rough there is something about a nice quality frame from this era. To me these old lugged steel frames are simply streets ahead aesthetically from todays stuff.

I would say it needs a nice Brooks saddle or even a Lycett Swallow if you can get one!
:hello: Quality will always shine through with anything Carlton Capella Lugs always look the part I,m going to dry build this bike up with all the new bits/bobs before its stripped again & bead blasted/ repainted prob in the New Year (I cannot decide which colour to do it yet) then it won,t look so rough with the new Carlton decals etc it should look the part. The seat is a very nice Brooks in black & it should look nice no point fitting this till the bikes done another picture of work in progress :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC03196.JPG
    DSC03196.JPG
    511.1 KB · Views: 61

Spokesmann

:hello: Quality will always shine through with anything Carlton Capella Lugs always look the part I,m going to dry build this bike up with all the new bits/bobs before its stripped again & bead blasted/ repainted prob in the New Year (I cannot decide which colour to do it yet) then its won,t look so rough with the new Carlton Decals etc Seat I,v got for it is a very nice Brooks one & it should look nice no point in fitting this till its done another picture of work in progress :biggrin:

A nice copper flamboyant would suit...

A nice copper flamboyant would suit...
:hello: Mmmmmmm I will give that colour some thought!I,v managed to find yet another NOS 27 x 1 1/4 alloy rear wheel local to me so thats the wheels sorted out at long last.Parts that seem impossible to locate are new GB Courier 66 Link cables I,v drawn a complete blank on these items Spokesmann any ideas who/where to get any from? are Weinmann Centre Pull cables the same type & length etc? :blush:

Spokesmann

:hello: Mmmmmmm I will give that colour some thought!I,v managed to find yet another NOS 27 x 1 1/4 alloy rear wheel local to me so thats the wheels sorted out at long last.Parts that seem impossible to locate are new GB Courier 66 Link cables I,v drawn a complete blank on these items Spokesmann any ideas who/where to get any from? are Weinmann Centre Pull cables the same type & length etc? :blush:

I agree they can be difficult, I have some early Weinmann one but they are not period correct really. Are there any on evil bay? Im not sure if the more common GB 88s straddle wire may be OK.

fixedfixer

Veteran
The Weinmann straddle wires are on Fleabay. New old stock. Is there really much difference to what must have been a standard part?
Item number: 230542686511 They are 100mm long.

Edit: And a pair of 27" wheels from the same seller that might be of interest.

Spokesmann

:biggrin: Yes saw them on evilbay but all I need is the two straddle wires I have the GB66 brakes which are totally perfect condition (apart from 1 front wire) the rear is ok but I,m going to change both as a pair 50 years old I,m not taking any chances :biggrin:

Mine are original and work perfectly well after all this time.

Mine are original and work perfectly well after all this time.
:biggrin: My bike has spent some time in a damp place so everything needs looking at on the side of safety :biggrin:
A trip to my local bike shop who were once Carlton & Sun Dealers in the good old days turned up 2 NOS GB straddle cables & the front brake cable guide still in a sealed plastic bag & a few other nice bits till next time atvb The Flier :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC03197.JPG
    DSC03197.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC03198.JPG
    DSC03198.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC03200.JPG
    DSC03200.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 55

Spokesmann

:biggrin: My bike has spent some time in a damp place so everything needs looking at on the side of safety :biggrin:
A trip to my local bike shop who were once Carlton & Sun Dealers in the good old days turned up 2 NOS GB straddle cables & the front brake cable guide still in a sealed plastic bag & a few other nice bits till next time atvb The Flier :biggrin:

Hey a brilliant grab there! Look forward to seeing more of the build.
wub.gif

Top Bottom