Carlton Resto

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm new to threading so please forgive any etiquette inadequacies, but I could do with some advice from the connoisseurs regarding a the identification of a frame that has carlton transfers but no complex lugs but the letters TT stamped in the middle of the bottom bracket(across the frame) and the capitals G2905 running around the edge on the chain side of the bb. Both seen from below.

Turnpike

Regular
Ray, a couple of pictures of the frame would help, but check the back of the seat tube just underneath the saddle for a serial number. That's where you'll find the serial number for Raleigh built Carltons. The location of serial numbers did vary even for Worksop built Carltons, and the G prefix on a Carlton serial would indicate a 1959 frame, though sight of the frame would confirm its likely age.

BILD0198.JPG:\C:\Users\ray\Desktop

BILD0198\ C:\Users\ray\Desktop\BILD0198.JPG

I'm having trouble getting head round how to post images but might sus it out eventually. I got the added bonus of a huret jubilee set and the saddle has cleaned up great. I must admit I was appalled when it arrived but it turned out most of the rust came off the chrome forks and saddle frame ok. The problems so far are that the crank arm has a small crack where it is bolted on and it needs an older sized crank extractor tool to get it off. I think I will try to get it off with leg pullers as a cheaper option than buying the tool.

Turnpike

Regular
I'm interested in how the Carlton Clubman restoration is going. You mentioned in your thread that you were getting it bead blasted, has this been done yet? I wondered if you'd considered keeping the original paintwork to keep the decals original. I have a 1975 Carlton Continental with rust beginning to come through the paint. I've tried a few different treatments so I can keep the original decals. I just wondered whether you have any thoughts on how to best treat paintwork where rust is beginning to come through.

I got diverted rebuilding a ridgeback for day to day road use and only got as far as dismantling the Carlton. I'm not really decided as to what to do with the paintwork, the transfers are in good condition but it looks like there's rust behind them on the down tube at least. The colour is a lovely red, the same orangy red as on the badge. I've found the exact transfer set on ebay for £36 ish and would ideally like to sand the frame back to bright metal and respray. What I don't understand is that the lugs are boringly basic. The front forks chrome will have to be sanded back to metal and I cannot justify the expense of rechroming so will spray. I have also noticed that only the main tubes are 531 so this probably confirms that it is a '59 year of manufacture? The wonderful British summer is holding back progress because I don't really have enough room inside to work on it. The sach/huret jubilee derailleur set has cleaned up nicely and will probably spend £16.00 on nos pulley wheels next time I see them on ebay.

Top Bottom