Scotland : The Highlands CC Ecosse Lochs and Glens Tour #CONFIRMED#

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
I had it in my head that Loch Ossian was accessible from Rannoch Station, not Corrour. So no, that's not doable.

Ah, ok then.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Thursday 13 August: overnight stay at Callander Hostel, on the edge of the scenic stuff - get there by bike (42 miles from Glasgow), train or car.
Friday 14 August: Callander to Pitlochry SYHA (pick up @Scoosh), 63 miles
Saturday 15 August: Pitlochry to Newtonmore Hostel, 42 miles
Sunday 16 August: Newtonmore to Inverness, 58 miles - overnight in Inverness, train home in the morning/afternoon

Cuts out any huge mileage days and keeps it at 3 days from Callander to Inverness.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Hypothetical route suggestion bypassing Pitlochry/Blair Atholl entirely:

Day 1: Glasgow - Loch Voil
Day 2: Loch Voil to Kinloch Rannoch Centre 48 miles (hilly, cuts out a big loop of NCN7) http://www.hostel-scotland.co.uk/hostels/Kinloch-Rannoch-Centre-Groups-Only.htm
Day 3: Kinloch Rannoch to Inverness (85 miles, couple of big climbs but doable)

We could work out a feeder ride from central/east...

Thursday 13 August: overnight stay at Callander Hostel, on the edge of the scenic stuff - get there by bike (42 miles from Glasgow), train or car.
Sunday 16 August: Newtonmore to Inverness, 58 miles - overnight in Inverness, train home in the morning/afternoon

Cuts out any huge mileage days and keeps it at 3 days from Callander to Inverness.

2 possible options, both of which will be subject to accommodation availability - thoughts of the collective??

2 possible options, both of which will be subject to accommodation availability - thoughts of the collective??
I'm happy with either. The route along Loch Tay goes right past the Cave of Caerbannog and it would be a shame for the easterlings to miss the opportunity to shout "run away!"

I would intend to head for Callander on Thursday day/night, @Pat "5mph" can bring the White rabbit...
Bravely brave Sir @Fubar, brave Sir @Fubar, brave Sir @Fubar ran away. Bravely ran away, away. When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
###UPDATE - PLEASE READ AND RESPOND###
I appreciate it's going to be difficult for everyone to follow the thread from today so thought I'd provide a quick briefing to the 11 definites (me, Junior Fu, @Edwardoka @Harry_Palmer79 @mcshroom @Pat "5mph" @DougieAB @Somebuddy @flyingfifi @KatyO and @mikeee)

And 5 possibles: @edindave @heather68 @Telemark @Scoosh and @MikeW-71

Investigating accommodation options today I figured out how difficult it was going to be:
Phoned a Newtonmore Hostel who would be happy to take us on the Saturday night, can sleep up to 12 in the hostel with 2 more rooms in the house, bike storage, drying room, etc - its getting to Newtonmore in 2 days that's the issue!

I've left a message with a Loch Voil Hostel though they are around the 55 mile mark, which would give us an approx 92 mile target for day 2 - too much???

It's a bit of a 'mare to be honest, b&b's/hotels are £70+ per person per night at that time of year (and mainly double beds/no bike storage), self catering won't take 1 night bookings and there are not too many hostels between Loch Earn and Aberfeldy/Pitlochry - so we either have a long first day (Aberfeldy is Mile-90 from Glasgow) or we are back to a 4-day tour...:wacko:

Thoughts???

Ed and I felt that 90-odd mile days on this route would be unrealistic, Ed suggested the following alternative route/accommodation options:
Hypothetical route suggestion bypassing Pitlochry/Blair Atholl entirely:

Day 1: Glasgow - Loch Voil
Day 2: Loch Voil to Kinloch Rannoch Centre 48 miles (hilly, cuts out a big loop of NCN7) http://www.hostel-scotland.co.uk/hostels/Kinloch-Rannoch-Centre-Groups-Only.htm
Day 3: Kinloch Rannoch to Inverness (85 miles, couple of big climbs but doable)

We could work out a feeder ride from central/east...

With me suggesting this route/accommodation options:

My route means an extra day on the Thursday, though people could make their way to Callander after work on the Thursday if needed (42 miles is doable on a nice summers evening ;)) - Ed's route keeps it at 3 days cycling but has a big mileage on the last day.

Over this weekend can I have each of your thoughts please on the options suggested, I appreciate this means a change to the published tour but at the moment I can't see another way round it. Feel free to chip in with other (useful) suggestions! Cheers, Mark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Phoned a Newtonmore Hostel who would be happy to take us on the Saturday night, can sleep up to 12 in the hostel with 2 more rooms in the house, bike storage, drying room, etc - its getting to Newtonmore in 2 days that's the issue!

I've left a message with a Loch Voil Hostel though they are around the 55 mile mark, which would give us an approx 92 mile target for day 2 - too much???

It's a bit of a 'mare to be honest, b&b's/hotels are £70+ per person per night at that time of year (and mainly double beds/no bike storage), self catering won't take 1 night bookings and there are not too many hostels between Loch Earn and Aberfeldy/Pitlochry - so we either have a long first day (Aberfeldy is Mile-90 from Glasgow) or we are back to a 4-day tour...:wacko:

Thoughts???
92 miles Loch Voil to Newtonmore OVER DRUMMOCHTER with luggage is probably pushing it a wee bit :whistle:, even on a fine day :sun:
Loch Voil - Pitlochry (SYHA) and Pitlochry - Newtonmore, on the other hand, look more reasonable to me ...:smile:

T

EDIT: have just read the rest of the thread after foolishly responding to your 1st thoughts of the day ;-). The debate has obviously moved on since then ... 63 miles Callander to Pitlochry along NCN7 is not exactly flat (Glenogle, uppy-downy along the south side of Loch Tay, and again from just before Ballinluig to Pitlochry ... there are also a few bits of gravel which slow things down (along Loch Lubnaig and on the way up and down Glenogle). So 63 miles might be pushing it a bit with loaded bikes, especially with Drummochter to come on the next day... If it's nice weather, entirely do-able, but could be pushing it if it's windy & wet.
However, please do go by the opinion of the 'definites' rather than mine, I'm only a 'maybe' still :sad:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
92 miles Loch Voil to Newtonmore OVER DRUMMOCHTER with luggage is probably pushing it a wee bit :whistle:, even on a fine day :sun:
Loch Voil - Pitlochry (SYHA) and Pitlochry - Newtonmore, on the other hand, look more reasonable to me ...:smile:

T

EDIT: have just read the rest of the thread after foolishly responding to your 1st thoughts of the day ;-). The debate has obviously moved on since then ... 63 miles Callander to Pitlochry along NCN7 is not exactly flat (Glenogle, uppy-downy along the south side of Loch Tay, and again from just before Ballinluig to Pitlochry ... there are also a few bits of gravel which slow things down (along Loch Lubnaig and on the way up and down Glenogle). So 63 miles might be pushing it a bit with loaded bikes, especially with Drummochter to come on the next day... If it's nice weather, entirely do-able, but could be pushing it if it's windy & wet.
However, please do go by the opinion of the 'definites' rather than mine, I'm only a 'maybe' still :sad:

Good points, difficulty is getting accommodation for 11+ people and bikes between Callander and Pitlochry, not to mention the extra time involved...

Could make Loch Voil the first stop, but it's not the most accessible place if people can't get the Thursday off work - might still be an option though.

Good points, difficulty is getting accommodation for 11+ people and bikes between Callander and Pitlochry, not to mention the extra time involved...

Could make Loch Voil the first stop, but it's not the most accessible place if people can't get the Thursday off work - might still be an option though.
Callander isn't exactly accessible to those without cars either :sad:

63 miles Callander to Pitlochry along NCN7 is not exactly flat (Glenogle, uppy-downy along the south side of Loch Tay, and again from just before Ballinluig to Pitlochry ... there are also a few bits of gravel which slow things down (along Loch Lubnaig and on the way up and down Glenogle). So 63 miles might be pushing it a bit with loaded bikes, especially with Drummochter to come on the next day... If it's nice weather, entirely do-able, but could be pushing it if it's windy & wet.
The bikes really shouldn't be so heavily loaded as to be a major factor. If the weather is hideous and the Loch Lubnaig trail has turned into an impassable quagmire we can always divert onto the main road. I don't recall Glenogle being particularly muddy.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I quite like Mark's route, even though Telemark's comment worries me a wee bit :smile:
There are no doubts that the guys will make it, I'm willing to give it a good effort and train for the hills from now to the date of the tour ^_^
If I find I can't make a stage, I could always abandon, head for the nearest train station home, lesson learned about my cycling limits :laugh:
What say you @flyingfifi @KatyO? Please read below and let @Fubar know.

@Fubar said:
Friday 14 August: Callander to Pitlochry SYHA (pick up @@Scoosh), 63 miles
Telemark remarked:
63 miles Callander to Pitlochry along NCN7 is not exactly flat (Glenogle, uppy-downy along the south side of Loch Tay, and again from just before Ballinluig to Pitlochry ... there are also a few bits of gravel which slow things down (along Loch Lubnaig and on the way up and down Glenogle). So 63 miles might be pushing it a bit with loaded bikes, especially with Drummochter to come on the next day...

MikeW-71

Veteran
I had better withdraw myself now to save you worrying. I've been asking and it looks like getting that time off right after a two week holiday is not going to be possible. :sad:

I'd love to come, but I'll have to wait for another one. Have fun everyone :biggrin: :thumbsup::bicycle:

Top Bottom