CC Ecosse: Round the Forth Bridges - Sun 31st July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
The best alternative on the North side of the Forth, unless you want to cycle along the busy A985 is to head uphill to Dunfermline and enjoy the downhill through Crosfford, Cairneyhil, Toryburn, Valleyfield and Culross to a short section of path which leads you to Kincardine. DCC regularly go that way :-)

That might add a couple of miles but it definitely sounds preferable to the main trunk A985.

I'm fighting with mapmyride at the moment (grrr!) cos the bikely is down so will be tomorrow sometime before I can post the route...
rolleyes.gif

That might add a couple of miles but it definitely sounds preferable to the main trunk A985.

I'm fighting with mapmyride at the moment (grrr!) cos the bikely is down so will be tomorrow sometime before I can post the route...
rolleyes.gif

Try RidewithGPS, its really fast to build routes (it also converts to good GPS files if need be), I've not used bikely in ages its down practically every time I try too.

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
You'll probably want to do something a little flatter and more direct on the southside of the Forth but the club done this a few weeks back.

That's helpful thanks HLab. I've never planned a route for anyone other than myself!

On the south side I would plan to go through Grangemouth to Bo'Ness along the A904 just past Muirhouses then head up to the B9080 > Winchburgh > Kirkliston > Craigies.

fimm

Veteran
Bah. I thought this sounded like a nice loop when it was discussed on one of the other threads - but I'm at a wedding this weekend. In Germany... :angry:
Have fun!

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
OK folks, I've plotted the route using RideWithGPS (great site by the way).

Many thanks to you HLab as I've copied 99% of it from those routes you shared, plus a little of my own through the farm roads at Skinflats :smile:

Have a look folks and see what you think.

43 miles, less than 2,000ft ascent. Obviously we can play it by ear on the day and alter it if necessary :smile:

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
This is shaping into a decent wee mini-CC Ecosse meet!
thumbsup.png

Maybe I should have put 'CC Ecosse' in the title... I didn't to start with because of the short notice.
rolleyes.gif

So far we are 6 definite riders :bicycle:

edindave +4 non-forumites
Roadkill

And the maybes...
Halfmanhalfbiscuit
HLaB
Telemark - maybe!
glutton.gif

:biggrin:

OK folks, I've plotted the route using RideWithGPS (great site by the way).

Many thanks to you HLab as I've copied 99% of it from those routes you shared, plus a little of my own through the farm roads at Skinflats :smile:

Have a look folks and see what you think.

43 miles, less than 2,000ft ascent. Obviously we can play it by ear on the day and alter it if necessary :smile:

The NCN bridge over the A876 is still shut, its been shut for over month now :-( The alternative are straight down the A876 or use the service road to the Airth Road (A905) or the posted route which is a pretty crap surface iirc :-( will Falkirk Council or whoever not get their finger out :angry:

Btw between 17 and 18 miles on the route there's a very good farm road (which becomes a good path) leads you straight to the old bridge and you dont need to touch the A985 there :rolleyes:
And at 3 miles if we go through the Rosyth dockyard we can avoid more of the A985 (and it misses out Castland hill, which isn't the best of descents (due to idiots parking all over the place :angry:) plus if we go that way I can bore you about my old Primary School, etc ;) If we want to avoid the A985 almost all together we can go up Grange Road (at 5 miles on the map) to the Glen (Pittencrief Park).
As said though, we can play by ear on the day :becool:

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
The NCN bridge over the A876 is still shut, its been shut for over month now :-( The alternative are straight down the A876 or use the service road to the Airth Road (A905) or the posted route which is a pretty crap surface iirc :-( will Falkirk Council or whoever not get their finger out :angry:

Btw between 17 and 18 miles on the route there's a very good farm road (which becomes a good path) leads you straight to the old bridge and you dont need to touch the A985 there :rolleyes:
And at 3 miles if we go through the Rosyth dockyard we can avoid more of the A985 (and it misses out Castland hill, which isn't the best of descents (due to idiots parking all over the place :angry:) plus if we go that way I can bore you about my old Primary School, etc ;) If we want to avoid the A985 almost all together we can go up Grange Road (at 5 miles on the map) to the Glen (Pittencrief Park).
As said though, we can play by ear on the day :becool:

Yep, I followed some of that - but you lost me a bit! I think we'll play it by ear
whistling.gif
biggrin.gif
. The more pleasant the route the better!

Sounds like you're becoming more of a definite for Sunday
smile.gif
. How are the ribs feeling?

Yep, I followed some of that - but you lost me a bit! I think we'll play it by ear
whistling.gif
biggrin.gif
. The more pleasant the route the better!

Sounds like you're becoming more of a definite for Sunday :smile:. How are the ribs feeling?

Not too bad thanks; I only really feel them (or the bruising to be more specific when I lie down or go to sneeze or something causing me to breathe hard). I'm meeting a few folks out of the ERC and going for a gentle ride tomorrow, either round Loch Leven (something along these lines) or to Dollar (something like this) so hopefully there'll be no reaction to that and I'll get out on Sunday :smile:

sleekitcollie

, I do this loop often , find it a nice route ( although I prefer to go the Opposite way ) and if u take the road into limekilns instead of the path ur only on the main rosyth - Kincardine rd for a few 100 yards ( tough cobbled hill on way out righ enough ) and again a cpl miles of main road till u turn off for torryburn .. Nice cafe ( small ) in culross behind the pottery shop ( cash only )
Sorry I can't. Be there I'm getting train to Inverness and cycle / camping home over a few days with a friend . Hope u have a great run guys

Top Bottom