Scotland : Edinburgh & Lothians CC Ecosse RV ride - Sat 15th February

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Edit: Details now arranged.

Location: The Coffee Neuk, The Cross, Linlithgow (or the other one across the square if this one is too full)

Time: Sat 15th February, 1230 pm

-----

Alright, there's been some chatter about this, but I think we need to get some proper arrangements going.

The suggestion is to do another winter RV ride. For those who have forgotten, the concept is that we simply agree on a location and a time for a cafe RendezVous, and people can make their way there using a method, route, and speed of their own choosing.

I like the suggestion of the Linlithgow area as a location. Easily accessible with a variety of routes for most people, and with a train connection home if desired.

So, we need a specific location, and a date.

I think there's a cafe thingy on the canal in Linlithgow. Anyone know if that's correct? Any other suggestions? Beecraigs?

As for the date, I suggest Saturday the 15th, but if there is overwhelming support for a different date it's no problem shifting it.

Last edited:

ScotiaLass

Guru
It's a high probability that I could make it along as it's not too far from me....even if just to say hello to everyone! (because by the time I cycle there and back I won't be fit for much else!)

Fubar

Guru
Alright, there's been some chatter about this, but I think we need to get some proper arrangements going.

The suggestion is to do another winter RV ride. For those who have forgotten, the concept is that we simply agree on a location and a time for a cafe RendezVous, and people can make their way there using a method, route, and speed of their own choosing.

I like the suggestion of the Linlithgow area as a location. Easily accessible with a variety of routes for most people, and with a train connection home if desired.

So, we need a specific location, and a date.

I think there's a cafe thingy on the canal in Linlithgow. Anyone know if that's correct? Any other suggestions? Beecraigs?

As for the date, I suggest Saturday the 15th, but if there is overwhelming support for a different date it's no problem shifting it.

Sounds good to me, I can't think of any problem with that date at present - I can ask around if there are any known-good cafes in Linlithgow, if there are no other suggestions.

Hardrock93

Guru

There is a tea room at the Linlithgow Canal Centre, not far from the railway station, but their website says it doesn't re-open until April. We've often stopped at The Park Bistro and Restaurant, on the canal, 1.5 miles east of Linlithgow.

When we did PfS a couple years back rather than using the official cake stop (aka a very muddy field) we found a nice coffee shop on the main street. Not sure it would handle a sudden invasion of all the CCers at once but worth thinking about?

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
@Rasmus :thumbsup: :wahhey:

Pending another polar monsoon event, I might join you ... can't think of anything being booked that weekend, apart from possibly work getting in the way.

We've met up at the Park Bistro on the Canal E of the town quite a few times (though prices do seem to go up there every time you turn your back).
There is a wee cafe in the cobbled square that leads up to the castle gate, very nice & affordable last time HJ and I visited, perhaps not suitable for a large crowd ...

T

OP
OP
Rasmus

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Thanks for the rip, @Hardrock93 ! I like the looks of the park bistro.

@Edwardoka , yea, I googled a couple of places on the high street, but can't help to worry a bit about space as well as bike security.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I know it's early days, but would any of the western contingent be interested in meeting up at Glasgow Green and following the PFS route to Linlithgow, rather than the canal? The canal can be good, as long as it's been dry for a month previously, otherwise bits of it are a mudbath.

Disclaimer: This post does not in any way constitute an offer to lead said route. In the event of inclement weather, I will be letting the train take the strain for part or all of the journey! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rasmus

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I know it's early days, but would any of the western contingent be interested in meeting up at Glasgow Green and following the PFS route to Linlithgow, rather than the canal? The canal can be good, as long as it's been dry for a month previously, otherwise bits of it are a mudbath.
Yep, this is likely to be more or less the route I would plan to take. Might want to explore the Bathgate Alps on the way back, though...

Disclaimer: This post does not in any way constitute an offer to lead said route. In the event of inclement weather, I will be letting the train take the strain for part or all of the journey! :thumbsup:

Yes, either at Glasgow Green or somewhere around Drumpellier. Has anyone got a strava / RWGPS track of PFS?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
From my past travels around W Lothian and a couple of its cafes:
  • Park Bistro - cyclist-friendly, good bike parking but expensive - and getting more so each visit :ohmy:
  • Kingsfield Golf Centre - uninspiring; OK for 2-3 cyclists, though no specific bike parking
  • [Linlithgow Canal Centre - not bad, pleasant on a sunny day, adequate bike parking]
  • Beecraigs Restaurant - as name suggests, more a restaurant than cafe but have had coffee/ cake :hungry: there; adequate bike parking; OK for a few, wouldn't recommend for a large group
  • The Coffee Neuk - old-style cafe like you used to go to when you were young (if you are Scoosh or @Fubar :smile:); was quite cheap, fairly wholesome; bike parking outside in square; OK for up to 6 maybe and would probably need forwarning
  • Caffe - the star of the piece, though a bit small; bike parking outside/round side; best coffee/ cakes and good pricing
Hope the links work OK.

Top Bottom