CC Ecosse (West) RV Ride 20th/21st Feb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Coco

Tried using Scoosh's elaborate naming convention, but it looked too much like a date :biggrin:

Anyway, I'd like to propose a wee run to the Junction Cafe in Lochwinnoch. Its about 20 miles from Glasgow City Centre and offers a selection of routes from all directions. There are both on-road and cyclepath routes available. If you are driving to the West, then there are plenty of places along the route to park.

I'm still working my way through the cafes of the West and have not tried this one yet, but have had good reports from someone who uses this as a stop on their club runs. If the weather is good (In February!) then we could take our food back to the lochside.

I'm pretty indifferent about the date, as Saturday and Sunday both suit me equally well. What do the rest of you say?

Now on the Saturday with a meeting time of 12:15.

scook94

Veteran
I know where it is, my mate used to live in Lochwinnoch (his mum still does). The dates no good for me though! :biggrin:

Seamab

I might be able to make this if it is on the Saturday. I would be starting from Glasgow City centre and can start probably about 10am. Not having a clue where i'm going i'd need some route/directional help.

I did once cycle from Pollok Park to Paisley via the NCN route which wasn't always that obvious or particularly pleasant.

marooncat

The cafe website has a link to the sustrans website with a wee map of the NCR from Glasgow but not sure if it is in much detail..

If it works this might even be a link to it

map

OP
OP
Coco

Coco

Seamab said:
I did once cycle from Pollok Park to Paisley via the NCN route which wasn't always that obvious or particularly pleasant.

There are plenty of ways from Glasgow to the NCN route. I'd be tempted to head up the North side of the Clyde and cross (while you can) on the Renfrew Ferry. You could then come along via Inchinnan to Linwood and join the route there. If you went back that way you could pop into Evans if you need any bike bits, or just to have a look.

Alternatively you could cross the Erskine bridge, although that may make the route a wee bit longer. I'd ask Magnatom for suitable routes through Erskine.

OP
OP
Coco

Coco

Jane Smart said:
Oooooh you are out of my comfort zone on this one xx(

;)

Drive to Paisley and take the NCN all the way to Lochwinnoch. Road free path all the way to here:

spot_3_restaurant.jpg

Coco said:
Alternatively you could cross the Erskine bridge, although that may make the route a wee bit longer. I'd ask Magnatom for suitable routes through Erskine.

Did somebody call? :biggrin:

I used to live in Erskine so I can certainly help getting you through it, although I couldn't tell you how to get to Lochwinnoch from there (although I could look at a map!). On a good day the view from the Erskine Bridge is pretty nice.

I really need to get on one of these rides at some point. I just seem to tied up elsewhere.....;):smile:

Getting plenty of training on my new commute though! :smile:

viniga

Guru
Seamab said:
I might be able to make this if it is on the Saturday. I would be starting from Glasgow City centre and can start probably about 10am. Not having a clue where i'm going i'd need some route/directional help.

You don't have to go the way we went but if you follow the NCN it's difficult to avoid Paisley. I've been down the NCN from Pollock to Lochwinnoch via Paisley a few times over the winter, possibly a bit less glass but a long fairly deep flooded bit. Still plenty of people walking dogs of course with varied degress of control over them. Once through Paisley it's good.

I'd be tempted to try (weather depending) my moors circuit: Glasgow to EK up on to the Fenwick moors heading towards but not into Darvel then Moscow - Fenwick - Stewarton - arriving @ Lochwinnoch from the South. Then NCN back to Glasgow. Thats about 70 miles and a fair bit of climbing (some steep) Allow 5 hours in total and about 3.5 to get to Lochwinnoch.

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=100109

Not been over the moor roads since winter - bound to be some more potholes.

Viniga

OP
OP
Coco

Coco

Jane Smart said:
Where is Paisley and is NCN a train?? :biggrin:

See told ya I was oot my comfort zone xx(

Paisley is a small fishing village on the banks of the River Cart :tongue:

NCN is a National cycle route, which in this case used to be a train line.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Jane Smart said:
Oooooh you are out of my comfort zone on this one :biggrin:

:tongue:

Jane, not so long ago riding on the road was out of your comfort zone, now look what happens. It is good to push the envelope occasionally :biggrin:

Being someone who grew up, not that far (but far enough!) from Paisley, might I just suggest that you avoid Paisley itself. There really isn't any good reason to cycle through Paisley (or drive, or walk....). Apologies to any Paisley-ites! :evil:

Seamab

viniga said:
You don't have to go the way we went but if you follow the NCN it's difficult to avoid Paisley. I've been down the NCN from Pollock to Lochwinnoch via Paisley a few times over the winter, possibly a bit less glass but a long fairly deep flooded bit. Still plenty of people walking dogs of course with varied degress of control over them. Once through Paisley it's good.

I'd be tempted to try (weather depending) my moors circuit: Glasgow to EK up on to the Fenwick moors heading towards but not into Darvel then Moscow - Fenwick - Stewarton - arriving @ Lochwinnoch from the South. Then NCN back to Glasgow. Thats about 70 miles and a fair bit of climbing (some steep) Allow 5 hours in total and about 3.5 to get to Lochwinnoch.

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=100109

Not been over the moor roads since winter - bound to be some more potholes.

Viniga

I'm not up to a 70miler yet this year (long way off) but should try that route sometime. Let me know when you next plan to go.

TBH i'd like to avoid Paisley if possible (memories of being chased by a dog and the general ambience of the place). I could just drive past it and find a suitable starting location somewhere else.

Top Bottom