CC Ecosse (West) RV Ride 20th/21st Feb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
magnatom said:
Being someone who grew up, not that far (but far enough!) from Paisley, might I just suggest that you avoid Paisley itself. There really isn't any good reason to cycle through Paisley (or drive, or walk....). Apologies to any Paisley-ites! :evil:

I am glad that comment came from a weegie. I was thinking it, just did not have the confidence to type it. :bravo:

gavintc said:
I am glad that comment came from a weegie. I was thinking it, just did not have the confidence to type it. :evil:

I have complete confidence. I only became a proper Weegie at the age of 26. Before then I live in Erskine so well within the influence of Paisley. After the age of about 15 I made the decision never to shop/entertain etc in Paisley and was happy to travel further to Glasgow from then on.

Strictly speaking I'm no longer a Weegie again (although Torrance does have a G postcode...) :bravo:

OP
OP
Coco

Coco

gavintc said:
I am glad that comment came from a weegie. I was thinking it, just did not have the confidence to type it. :bravo:

magnatom said:
I have complete confidence.

As someone who was brought up in Paisley, I concur :evil:

Nah, its not that bad, especially if you're only cycling through it.

For those of you driving, you could cut a few miles off your ride by parking at Braehead or even more by parkng at Phoenix at Linwood. Plenty of parking and lots of routes to LochW from there.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Seamab said:
After all, Lance Armstrong picked Paisley for his Scottish bike ride.

That is because he knew that Jane wouldn't be there, he was worried that he wouldn't be able to keep up with her... :evil:

gavintc

Guru
Seamab said:
After all, Lance Armstrong picked Paisley for his Scottish bike ride.

I was on that ride - cracking good fun. We went through Lochwinnoch, but at some speed, so cannot remember much except it was blast rolling through a town at a fast speed in a very large peloton.

OP
OP
Coco

Coco

Just a quick update (to bump up the thread :laugh: ) I visited the cafe on Saturday. It look pretty good and the food is very nice. Rather than eat in, I just went down to the loch shore and sat watching the geese/swans playing on the ice. More importantly the cakes are very nice.
Incidentally I came into Lochwinnoch via Kilmacolm and that is a cracking wee route. If you like rollercoasters you'll love this road. First time I've had to brake going up a hill :blush:

It seems that I might actually be able to make this one! ;) We are getting heating installed this Friday and Saturday, so the family are at the in-laws. So if everything goes smoothly, I should be able to get along to this, if it is Saturday. Is it going to be Saturday?

I'll need to think about routes from Torrance to Lochwinnoch.....

OP
OP
Coco

Coco

The Sunday option was to make it appeal to Goo, but he seems to have disappeared ;)

You've got to go on a route that takes in the Renfrew Ferry. It closes next month. Last chance for what must be the shortest ferry ride in the world.

Coco said:
The Sunday option was to make it appeal to Goo, but he seems to have disappeared ;)

You've got to go on a route that takes in the Renfrew Ferry. It closes next month. Last chance for what must be the shortest ferry ride in the world.

Mmm. I used to go to School in Renfrew, but I couldn't tell you, where to get on at the north side. I'll look it up! ;)

So who is coming?

Coco said:
I'll tell you if you tell me how to get into the tunnel from the South ;)

No problem. The first pic shows how you should get into the tunnel coming from Govan Road (from Glasgow). However, that tunnel has been closed from November (no idea why), so you need to go down the other tunnel (second image). Ignore the no entry sign.

Ah, just along Dumbarton Road. Just a short distance off of my normal commute. Hmm. My route is starting to take shape. From Renfrew I will head along Inchinnan Road, via the lovely India Tyres Building.

Then heading onto Houston Road (I get hazy from here) heading towards Bridge of Weir and it looks like there are some quiet roads (rat runs?) that take you from there to Lochwinnoch. Hmm. Looks like there be some hills there. ;)

This would be my proposed route (I know the roads well up until just passed Inchinnan). If anyone wants to hook up at any point let me know.;)

Top Bottom