Chiltern Hundreds CC Ride 7 June 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Blimey, went back to bed for an hour with thunder and lightning all around, and woke up again to this:

If it wasn't for Ian's sore knee I would have sworn I'd dreamt the whole thing at 7am this morning. Never mind.

DSCF1447.JPG

Peter

Back home now - showered & fed (more toast & coffee).
Sorry to hear about your "off" Ian. The roads were a bit waterlogged. A30 near Vriginia Water was under a foot of water. On the way back at Bracknell a car decided that roundabouts weren't for him and smashed into the chevrons on the island.

B&D - are you going to reschedule? Saturdays are better for me this month.

Weather's closing in again now, but I did manage to get out with a pal for 45 miles in the area just south of the ride, around Amersham.

Turned out quite bright in the end, but had to turn back a couple of times where run-off water had turned minor roads into foot-deep ponds, and on all the roads we had to negotiate a sludge of gravel and twigs, served in a sauce of slimy clay mud and semi-composted vegetation, washed from the hedgerows and verges by the morning inundation.

B&D

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well I've just come in from a rather pleasant 20 mile ride around the roads here with blue skies and puffy white clouds, although some darker clouds visible upwind.

This morning, after I had decided not to come on the ride, I set off for church in my normal cycling gear. Halfway there a cloud dropped its entire contents on me and I had the dubious pleasure of sitting in church with wet tights and underwear. I got a bit chilled and thought what a good thing it was that I wasn't cycling 50 miles in that weather.

By the time I was cycling home and had warmed myself up the weather had improved and I began to think I might have missed a good ride. Seems like we could have done the ride after all, but hindsight is a marvellous thing!

stevevw

Guru
Well I am back from Manc now. Sorry to hear of Ian's off and glad you all managed to get home safe. Shame you could not go ahead B&D after all your hard work you put in and I do know what has to be done before one of these rides can go ahead. Good news for me though not missing a ride that I wanted to do very much.

If you want to try again next Sunday or the following Saturday I would be up for that B&D :smile:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Hi folks, sorry about your off Ian, hope no lasting damage, like you the thunder and lightning stopped me. Unlike you I hadn't left the house, but I'd been up since 0500 and it just wouldn't stop lashing down. As it was heading North I figured cycling was just going to be too dangerous. When I got the text from SD that just made up my mind.

Peter, sorry I thought you'd had the text from SD/Ian re the off and t&L, my fault should have forwarded to you.

Typical, I went back to bed and woke up to sunshine, a couple of short sharp showers is all we've seen all day. But that heavy stuff came through here from about 0300hrs and it was heavy. I did a few miles pootling this afternoon and a lot of stuff was washed onto roads plus some very deep puddles.

bleakanddivine weather - what more could one expect?
At least I stripped my blue bike down and greased the bits and bobs.

I now have a clean,squeaky bike...:biggrin:

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
bleakanddivine said:
NB This is a Sunday ride, rather than the usual Saturday.

Chesham is a posh, historic old town, even the bike stand facilities are crenellated:

Chesham: Posh? Historic?
Have you seen it on a Friday night (or for that matter any night) when the chavs roll out of the pubs? :rolleyes:

stevevw

Guru
Aperitif said:
Places are always posh when the mouseketeers are in town Charlie...if we can find it, we'll make it posh! :smile:

Unless the Fatketeers turn up and lower the tone. :tongue:

B&D any news when you can re schedule this?

Top Bottom