Chiltern Hundreds CC Ride 7 June 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Right then, I'll download it to the Garmin tomorrow. You will have to bear in mind I have never actually used the thing to navigate with YET :biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
dont fancy that A412 underpass in Watford mate. maybe good idea to plot a route to the station through the backstreets

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Folks, as long as it's not a monsoon I'll be attending, Peter, dues to recent cold, is wisely leaving his options to the last minute. I've got 19 miles to Datchet Station then it's about 18 miles from there. I don't want to slog it and be too tired to enjoy the ride itself, so am planning to leave in plenty of time. Schedule would be:-

0630 - leave home
0700 - possibly meet Peter at A325/A30 roundabout
0800 - arrive Datchet Rail Station
1000 - arrive Watford Junction Rail Station

This allows for a reasonable rest/refuel at Datchet before heading for Watford, so probably depart Datchet by 0830.

My mobile No is XXXXX for those that haven't got it. I'll check for messages at A325/A30 and at Datchet. If I'm not making it for any reason then I'll text Peter and Red....cheers.....Al

also sent by PM with mobile included

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Okay will have to follow our noses on the day.

MacB - think we might have to push it to arrive at Datchet much before 8:30. Don't want to knacker my legs, given this will be my furstest ride by far. May have to push forward the initial meet up with Ian by 15-20 mins to be safe....?

Ian what do you think?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
to be honest mate, I am leaving 10 to six as it is, we will be ok.. ill push it fast to CC as there shouldnt be much traffic, so if you be there 10 mins to 7 or so .. i should be there

MacB

Sittingduck said:
Okay will have to follow our noses on the day.

MacB - think we might have to push it to arrive at Datchet much before 8:30. Don't want to knacker my legs, given this will be my furstest ride by far. May have to push forward the initial meet up with Ian by 15-20 mins to be safe....?

Ian what do you think?

SD, timing worth considering, also distances, going direct to Watford from Clapham is about 17 miles, going via Datchet is adding 20 miles. Then we've got the 52 mile ride itself, then there's the 'ride home' options. I'm aiming for the round trip but don't care if I end up on a train.

Via Datchet is a pretty direct route for me and, though company is always welcome, I certainly don't expect folks to go miles out of their way just to stop me getting lonely:biggrin: It really is up to you folks how you want to go, I just don't want you to feel pressurised into extra miles early on.

OK Crunch time.

Best guess weather forecast this close is heavy rain till about midday, showery in afternoon.
We can take our chances with the weather tomorrow, or put it back a couple of weeks until say 21/6. I don't mind either way, but it's a scenic ride and it would be something of a shame to do it in cloud and drizzle. Can we have a show of hands?

All those in favour of 'Carry on Regardless', type 'aye', or something like that.

B&D

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I agree that doing the ride in heavy rain wouldn't be much fun but if it was just a couple of showers, I would still like to go. Trouble is we can't tell can we... typical British June weather :smile:

I'll be out from late afternoon into the evening but will try and check this thread again before I go to bed, to see what the general feelings are...

SD

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
As a wet weather option:

There is a direct train from Clapham J at 08:35, arriving at Watford J at 09:18...
Would be fresh & dry for the hilly ride, with an option to extend the mileage cycling back home thereafter.

Opinions please... Ian, RedJ?

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
I am going to meet topcat on Westminster bridge and take it steady up the A5 to Watfrod, we might be stopping to dodge any heavy rain showers so will let folks know of our progress.

TBH I think the weather after about 1100 hrs will be grey and cloudy and the odd shower but hopefully most of the heavy wet stuff will have passed over by then!

See y'all tomorrow.:smile:

PS have put my raceblades on and will nip to Decathlon to get a waterproof top this avo.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I'm all for carrying on despite the rain - rescheduling always seems a bit of a faff and June is getting very busy for me (and no doubt for the rest of you too).

I shall fish out my Night Vision waterproof as that might be wise but don't mind rain when in good company.

I've just got in from a ride and it's actually quite cold out there with the wind, so that's something to be aware of. I might even get my winter bibtights out, but that seems slightly overdoing it for June!

MacB

well, I plan on attending but, to be fair, I'll have a ride tomorrow anyway. If that turns out to be Watford, and ride is canx, so straight back, I'm ok with that as well.

I'm even thinking of taking 2 outfits and a big envelope to post the wet one back from Watford. Thinking about raceblades as well, LBS here I come:biggrin:

My mobile will be on all day and I'll be led by majority but the rain isn't a ride stopping issue for me....Al

Top Bottom