Chiltern Hundreds CC Ride 7 June 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Peter said:
If you want to get to Watford for 9:30 - realisticly we will need to leave Dachet by 8 ish, so you probably need to leave Syon Lane by 7am - judging this on past performances of the peleton ;)

MacBludgeon - Or you could meet me in Yateley and we both could be Garmin led to Datchet

Peter, Yately would be good with me, if you know way to Datchett:biggrin: but you'd need to be ok with my speed. I doubt if my rolling average will be able to exceed 15mph and 14 would be comfier. I'll PM you my mobile.....Al

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well if I pass any of you on the way, I'll wave to you (from the comfort of my car) as I did to Aperitif, Katie, Ian etc after a previous ride (when they thought I was just an annoying motorist!)

If anyone wants a lift as I sail past, feign death and I might get the message and come back and rescue you...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Guys, just had a look at google maps and home top Datchet is about 19 miles, home to Syon Lane is 26 miles. Home to Watford, via Datchet, 36 miles.

Peter the suggest route shows A325 out of Farnborough, then A30 then turn onto the B3020 Sunninghill Road and on to Datchet via Ascot and Windsor, total 18.9 miles from my house. Then it shows 17 miles Datchet to Watford Station.

I know the start of that ride and Yately would be a longer route for me. Could I suggest we meet at the A325/A30 roundabout, where American Golf is? It's about 13 miles to Datchet from there so allow a bit over an hour?

djtheglove said:
The cafe with a hearty breakfast and loads of strong coffe sounds like a great idea. It's definatley open at 0930 0n Sunday is it?

I'm not going to recommend a particular place because I've never had the pleasure of breakfast in Watford, but as I said, there are several cafes, bars, eateries at the top of the High Street:

Barracuda Coffee shop, just by the flyover- full English available
Subway - next door
O'Neils - opposite
Nandos - next door
Yates's - not open until 10am?
Jongleurs - Aussie bar
Cafe Toast - opposite end of Clarendon Road
etc etc

There's even kebab houses there if old habits die hard.
Not sure which of these will be open on a Sunday morning though.

If these places seem too salubrious, there is a greasy spoon caff, The Junction Cafe, almost in sight from the station forecourt, on the corner of St Albans Road and Langley Road. That is definitely open from 7am, and comes with a favourable review- "A great place for a FRY UP!" . This was an opinion on the internet though, so should be taken with the usual pinch of salt, watery pool of ketchup, dollop of mustard, token limp lettuce leaf and as many mugs of strong sugary tea as you can drink.

http://trustedplaces.com/review/uk/watford/cafe/1e16m63/watford-junction-cafeB&D

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
djtheglove said:
Ok so maybe Topcat and I could meet somewhere handy like Westminster bridge or summat? Or are you heading out west to meet the others ?

Let me know what you think TC.

DJ, yes that's fine say 8.15 southside westminster bridge by the bus stop that should give us time for a easy ride up and breakfeast.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Okay, I think I have figured out how to map a course and download that course to my Edge 605 :angry:

Have this course from Clapham to Datchet (via Syon Park) saved on the Garmin now... the true test will come on Sunday :angry:

SD

Peter

I still don't like the look of the forecast for Sunday. I've only just recovered from a cold caught whilst out cycling in heavy rain. Time will tell.....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Have downloaded it to my 205 also.
Have youa route to Watford?

Sittingduck said:
Okay, I think I have figured out how to map a course and download that course to my Edge 605 :blush:

Have this course from Clapham to Datchet (via Syon Park) saved on the Garmin now... the true test will come on Sunday :smile:

SD

redjedi

Über Member
Met office is showing rain in the morning, clearing in the afternoon, but that may still change (for the better hopefully)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
looks good enough to me mate.
Hill shouldnt be a problem as the rest is flat... so some nice leg muscle warming...

Top Bottom