Chiltern Hundreds CC Ride 7 June 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter

I agree with SD, it's going to be impossible to tell the weather until tomorrow morning. By then it's going to be too late to call it off and it's not looking great at the moment.

AH has also raised a valid point - I'm fully booked this month.

Ah, what the hell - let's just do it :smile:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Peter said:
Ah, what the hell - let's just do it :smile:

Is the attitude I like...........

0700hrs at the A325/A30 roundabout good for you?

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
bleakanddivine said:
I'm not going to recommend a particular place because I've never had the pleasure of breakfast in Watford, but as I said, there are several cafes, bars, eateries at the top of the High Street:

Barracuda Coffee shop, just by the flyover- full English available
Subway - next door
O'Neils - opposite
Nandos - next door
Yates's - not open until 10am?
Jongleurs - Aussie bar
Cafe Toast - opposite end of Clarendon Road
etc etc

There's even kebab houses there if old habits die hard.
Not sure which of these will be open on a Sunday morning though.

If these places seem too salubrious, there is a greasy spoon caff, The Junction Cafe, almost in sight from the station forecourt, on the corner of St Albans Road and Langley Road. That is definitely open from 7am, and comes with a favourable review- "A great place for a FRY UP!" . This was an opinion on the internet though, so should be taken with the usual pinch of salt, watery pool of ketchup, dollop of mustard, token limp lettuce leaf and as many mugs of strong sugary tea as you can drink.

B&D
Well I may aim for the Junction Café if it's in sight of the station - my trike will sit outside so peeps know where I am. Alternatively, if it looks a bit too seedy, I might go for Barracuda Coffee Shop (if I can find it).

Who's expecting to have a fry-up beforehand? In other words, whose shiny bikes should I look out for locked up outside the place so I know where to go for company and a weak mug of tea?

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
OK, I expect to attempt to get there by 9:30am (I'm still not exactly sure what time this ride is officially starting!). My trike will be even more obvious than usual as it still has the British and German flags on the flagpole.

I'll look out for Katie, Ian, in case she arrives before you.

OK The die is cast, no turning back now.

We might as well all meet by 10.30am (or early as you want for those breakfasting) at the Junction Cafe.

It's on the A412 itself at the top of the station approach road. Now marked on the ride map.

To cut out the underpass you could come up the slip road, across the roundabout and down the other side. Cafe is at the next traffic lights after the underpass.

Station car park is down the side road and under the bridge immediately to the left hand side of the station as you face it. From the station, bear right up the main road past The Flag pub on your right, a few hundred yards to the traffic lights, you'll see the cafe across the junction.

Garminators, make sure you have the latest version of the ride route downloaded as your virtual navigators.

I'll distribute a mobile number this evening.

B&D

redjedi

Über Member
:biggrin::laugh:!:?:

I've just picked up my bike from the lbs where it was having it's wheels trued or was supposed to be having it's wheels trued.

Turns out one of the spoke nipples has seized onto the spoke and they couldn't do anything with it. Which means it has to go to an authorised Mavic centre to get seen to.

What's really annoying is that they didn't tell me until 5.50pm when I was there, so now I have no options to get it seen to tonight.

It's got a fair wobble in it and also some play in the hub.

Now I don't know what to do? I don't know if it's safe to ride 100m on. I don't want the wheel to collapse in the middle of no-where.

I have been riding it all week, so it may be alright.

Should I risk it or not?

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Is this your only bike? Surely not, in the cycling N+1 scheme of things?

I'd say if you've got another that you could use that might be wise; if not, go for this one but be prepared to hop on a train if it goes dodgy. But I know nothing about bike wheels so that's probably complete rubbish!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What did you get in the end Ad? Was it the Planet X?

Flying Dodo said:
Sorry - cross me off the list of possibles. I haven't had a chance today to do the required adjustments to my new bike after using it on the FNRttC. It needs some tweaking I'm afraid.

redjedi said:
:biggrin::ohmy:!:?:

I've just picked up my bike from the lbs where it was having it's wheels trued or was supposed to be having it's wheels trued.

Turns out one of the spoke nipples has seized onto the spoke and they couldn't do anything with it. Which means it has to go to an authorised Mavic centre to get seen to.

What's really annoying is that they didn't tell me until 5.50pm when I was there, so now I have no options to get it seen to tonight.

It's got a fair wobble in it and also some play in the hub.

Now I don't know what to do? I don't know if it's safe to ride 100m on. I don't want the wheel to collapse in the middle of no-where.

I have been riding it all week, so it may be alright.

Should I risk it or not?

Mavic what?
I have a pair of Ksyrium Elite? - converted to Campag...still got the sprocket bit for Shimano, front one ok-ish. Because I am rather well endowed in the arsepork dept. I decided not to keep riding on them...Not sure where they are but I can look. Search know how for me changing a freehub or something like that - I can't remember what I called it. (I'll check my GPS...:laugh:)

Top Bottom