Chiltern Hundreds CC Ride 7 June 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Well sympathy go out to Red! I too have had an eventfull time this afternoon, long story so dig deep, peep's!
Yesterday had a drama on the way to work with me trying to just top up the air in my tyre when my pump broke and let mosty of the air out of my tyre before I could get it off was parked at my allotment at the time so headed(walking) out to the road and proceeded to flag down every passing cyclist while shouting have you a pump? I had walked a mile and a half and tryed to stop about six cyclists before one kind chap eventualy did stop and helped me out!
Thanks by the way.
Any way the knock on effect today is that I decided to go out earlier than usual to go to Decathlon for a new pump and a jacket for tomorrows ride!
Now hear is the interesting bit, I was free wheeling down my own road doing about 18 MPH and adjusting the settings on my tripometer when I went head first in to the front of a car !!!! My fault I'm a silly bugger!!! I am ok my helmet took most of the impact and a couple of small grazes is all, bigger problem with the bike though it flew up through the air and came down so hard on the back wheel that it now has a flat bit on one part of the circumfurence!!! went home had cuppa and ice tea cake , straightened out the large chain ring with some pliers and did my best to sort out the back wheel made it just rideable and so set off to Decathlon with anew set of wheels on my shopping list as well!!!
Have now got the wheels, pump and waterproof so hopefully I can sort it all out tonight and will be with you in the morn.
My misses is having a bit of a fit about it all though so will have to play that one with some sensitivity!!

Cheers DJ:biggrin::blush:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Yikes, sounds rather dodgy - how was the car?

Hope you can join us tomorrow anyway. And hope no-one else has tales of bike woes to post :biggrin:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
nice impression of a crash test dummy there DJ, hope you make it

Well, I've been out and got some clip on mudguards for the Giant plus a bar bag as I didn't see my paper instructions lasting otherwise:biggrin: All fitted and looks ok but one thing bugs me. The top has a clear plastic map holder thing which attaches via velcro. That's fine but the bag also has a yellow waterproof cover, again good, until you put it on and it covers over the map. Have experimented with putting it on just enough to cone up to edge of map holder. This is ok but suspect will allow leakage, so now trying to source clear plastic bag big enough to go over whole thing.

Is it me or is this a really dumb design? though always the chance that someone tomorrow will demonstrate the proper way of doing it and I'll just look stupid, again!!!

Hope Ape can sort you out Red, I'd say if you've ridden all week it's probably ok but can understand your nervousness.

Only decision now is Montane Featherlight or Altura Nightvision, first is only vaguely waterproof but second causes overheating:angry: Might resort to bringing both and just scrunching the Altura into the bar bag if need be.

Chonker

Veteran
I think I'mma brave the weather and come along, shall try to get to the station at a reasonable time (around 9:30ish) so I can construct the trike in the carpark and roll on over to the junction cafe. Now have a waterproof (but sadly not breathable) jacket so at least half of me will be sort of dry :biggrin:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I'm going for Altura Night Vision with sleeveless jersey underneath in the hopes that that deals with the overheating issue which I also have.

I apologise in advance for any inadvertent baring of arms.

Glad to hear you're coming, Chonker. Say hello if you see me also reassembling trike, although I've got it down to a 1 minute art form now!

redjedi

Über Member
Aperitif said:
Mavic what?
I have a pair of Ksyrium Elite? - converted to Campag...still got the sprocket bit for Shimano, front one ok-ish. Because I am rather well endowed in the arsepork dept. I decided not to keep riding on them...Not sure where they are but I can look. Search know how for me changing a freehub or something like that - I can't remember what I called it. (I'll check my GPS...:biggrin:)

Mavic Aksium, Ape.

My fronts good. Could do with a little tweak but I'm confident in that one.

Changing freehubs sounds complicated.

:?:

iLB

Hello there
although not coming i have spare cxp22 mavic wheel with a shimano 9spd cassette which i can get to ianrauk if that helps you... :biggrin:

Hey effendi, here's an exquisitely photoshopped undercover operative pic of the target area. Don't forget, if you're approached by a suspicious policemen you will have to eat the hard drive this photo is on.

Cafe.jpg

Changing the hub is easy - it's my back wheel that's a bit iffy too.
Are you Shimano? You should be Sram Redjedi of course but...
Anyway the pair of wheels were in a wheel box :becool:
I'll look for some bits but Andy's offer is excellent.

redjedi

Über Member
Thanks for the offer Andy, I'll keep it in mind.

but I've just remembered that I've still got my old Ambrosio wheels. The front one was written off in my last accident. But the rear was still alright.
It's been sat in my shed for 7 months so I don't know what condition it's in now

I'll go and see if there's anything obviously wrong, and perhaps I could swap the cassette and tyre over.

redjedi

Über Member
Aperitif said:
Changing the hub is easy - it's my back wheel that's a bit iffy too.
Are you Shimano? You should be Sram Redjedi of course but...
Anyway the pair of wheels were in a wheel box :becool:
I'll look for some bits but Andy's offer is excellent.

I had no-idea you could change the freehub on a wheel.

That means I could put a Campy hub on my Mavic, replace the rear mech and I'd be all camped up, so to speak :biggrin:

That's been added to the "to do" list.

redjedi

Über Member
I'm a bit mixed up Aperitif.

I have Campag levers, cables, front mech, cranks.
But Shimano rear mech and cassette.

It had a really cheap Shimano groupset on, so when I replaced my flat bars for drop bars I put campy levers on. I found out that 8sp Shim cassettes run well with 10sp campy levers.

The cranks were put on after my run in with a taxi.
The rear mech was going to be replaced, but I thought I needed to get a whole new wheel as well.

Top Bottom