Clarkson Suspended...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
So, whining and fawning versus a final warning. Which will win?

Big decision for the BBC, which has a clear responsibility to protect its staff and also a need to earn its own money.
It is a big decision, but I don't think protecting its staff is really the issue. I'm sure 'the victim' will survive anything meted out to him by lard-arse. The issue is the BBC's credibility and integrity as the public service broadcaster of this country.

Personally I was revolted by the Mexican episode, thought the 'slope' comment was beyond the pale ('slope' being simply the east-asian version of 'nigger' has no business being used 'humorously' on the BBC), and was disgusted by the whole Argentina plates episode. (Anyone who bought the protestations that they 'never noticed' is an idiot; and anyone who thinks a recent war that resulted in over 900 deaths and is still an open wound in the country hosting them at the time is a good opportunity for a laugh is an idiot and a scumbag.)

No, Clarkson's whole 'what are we like?' schtick has been getting increasingly toxic (as well as just plain tired), for some time now, and the BBC really owes it to itself to pull the plug. They're not some right wing radio broadcaster in Montana, or even the commercial vehicle of a ruthless Aussie geriatric. They are the public service broadcaster of an, on the whole tolerant, decent and fair-minded nation, paid for by resident Vietnamese, Mexicans and Argentinians among others, and it's high time they said enough is enough. This is not who we are; you are bringing us into disrepute. And you are no longer welcome to drag our name through the mud. Even if it does cost us some revenues in the short term.

And I speak as a one-time fan, who believes that underneath it all, Clarkson remains one of our more intelligent, engaging and amusing tv personalities. It's just a shame he's also a daffodil.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
That word, by the way, was not originally daffodil. It was see you next Tuesday. Wonder if that gets thru'....let's see.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Compared to most of the politically correct commies on the TV these days Clarkson on a Sunday is like a breath of fresh air so hopefully the BBC will see sense. (although I'm not holding my breath on that)

Funnily enough I was going to use the same words! It makes a change for someone to freely speak their mind on the TV. Granted some of it might be wrong but if you are going to allow free speech I think you have to take the good with the bad

brand

They're not some right wing radio broadcaster in Montana
No, they are blatantly biased unfit for purpose bunch of middle class politically correct bigots who have no right to my money. Clarkson is their "we are not really blatantly biased left wing organisation and to prove we have Jeremy Clarkson"

Last edited:

brand

Funnily enough I was going to use the same words! It makes a change for someone to freely speak their mind on the TV. Granted some of it might be wrong but if you are going to allow free speech I think you have to take the good with the bad
I agree but god I despise him. Alas a bit of non politically correct people on the blatantly biased BBC is a good thing BUT why him?

brand

[QUOTE 3581749, member: 45"]Err, an observation can only be made about something in the past.[/QUOTE]
As you were doing...derh

Brains

Legendary Member
Even the BBC can't afford to chuck out £150m on the basis of principal.

Whatever you may think of him, his program if one of the biggest earners for the BBC and can be seen all over the world.

classic33

Leg End Member
What's he likely to get if he is fired. Contract runs out later this year.

zizou

Veteran
Like him or loathe him, you've got to give the guy credit for speaking his mind, whether you agree or not with his views. So many celebs these days are so worried about being politically correct that they are boring, including all politicians. We are supposed to be in a country with free speech, but as we all know, it is only free speech as long as it doesn't upset anybody. Most of the people in the UK are just a bunch of sheep. Top Gear without Clarkson would not be the same I think.

Clarkson has used multiple injunctions over the years to silence the press and has also taken libel action against websites and even internet forums for comments posted relating to him. He is many things, but free speech martyr is not one of them.

brand

[QUOTE 3581889, member: 9609"]so why cancel an episode. there has to be a whole lot more to this than a bit of argy bargy behind the scene, do people at the beeb not get annoyed at each other from time to time.[/QUOTE]
It's the BBC they flap their arms at each other!

AndyRM

XOXO
Clarkson has used multiple injunctions over the years to silence the press and has also taken libel action against websites and even internet forums for comments posted relating to him. He is many things, but free speech martyr is not one of them.

I know he had one injunction with an ex wife, but I can't think of any of the libel stuff which would make an interesting read. Got a link?

[QUOTE 3581423, member: 45"]3 pages in and it's all been about whether he's funny and entertaining or not, and nothing about his behaviour.

Just saying.[/QUOTE]

Malignant Narcissistic Personality disorder is all about the behaviour of the individual

Aggression is one of the symptoms

Even the BBC can't afford to chuck out £150m on the basis of principal.

Whatever you may think of him, his program if one of the biggest earners for the BBC and can be seen all over the world.

The reason they paid £13m couple of years ago to purchase the programme was to prepare for this inevitability based on his past conduct plus the fact that the other 2 were prepared to go. No doubt he was an integral part of the program and to some extent the program itself, they will have to find another. I am sure James May can lead and 2nd supporting candidate can step in.

Imagine losing his bundle over food.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
crocodile-mouth.gif
:cry:

Top Bottom