Confronting a motorist- is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Who is wrong in this situation? The stereotypical cyclist, or the presumption that a single persons action reinforced a stereotype to a group of people.
It wasn't really a presumption i was just trying to keep my post concise. :smile: As soon as we'd seen it happen the comments start rolling, "self righteous prick" "why do cyclists think they own the road?" etc, and tales with more examples of angry cyclists - there was of course some counter arguement. I guess for a lot of people they have very few positive encounters with cyclists.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I usually do it. Whether it does any good or not depends more on the driver than on me. If I judge that someone has endangered me through ignorance or stupidity, then I try to remain calm, polite and constructive. If I judge that the manoeuvre was borne of malice, I treat it more as therapy. A nice elderly fellow passed me at about 40mph six inches from my elbow last week, before turning into a school to pick up what I presume to be his grandchildren. The subsequent exchange went like this:

"You need to give me a WHOLE LOT more room than that."
"I'm sorry. Something was coming the other way and I had to squeeze over."
"You should have seen it coming. You just have to wait. It's really scary when you pass that close."
"I'm sorry"
"OK. Thanks. Just do it differently next time."

He did look a bit scared, mind.

A bit longer ago, two young women roared past me in an open-top vehicle and shouted something along the lines of "Get on the f**king prom!", laughed uproariously between themselves and then turned into a car park (drivers are not the cleverest people). It was the sort of car park one might park in for a stroll along the seafront and an ice-cream. I followed them round it, pulled up behind their car and engaged Calm Psycho mode.

"Were you talking to me?"
They looked round, visibly terrified.
"Er, um... we just wanted to know why you weren't on the bike path."
"Sure you did. That's why you asked me a polite question and waited around to listen to the answer."
Silence. Worried looks exchanged.
"You're lucky you picked on someone as affable as I am." Pause. "If I were to go round shouting abuse at strangers, I'd be worried to leave my car unattended afterwards." Pause. "Just in case they decided to rip the wing mirrors off." Pause. "Looks expensive."

For some reason they appeared to change their mind about the stroll and the ice-cream.

Readers may make up their own minds as to whether such exchanges do any good. Both of them made me feel better. :smile:

400bhp

Guru
"Sure you did. That's why you asked me a polite question and waited around to listen to the answer."
"You're lucky you picked on someone as affable as I am." Pause. "If I were to go round shouting abuse at strangers, I'd be worried to leave my car unattended afterwards." Pause. "Just in case they decided to rip the wing mirrors off." Pause. "Looks expensive."

For some reason they appeared to change their mind about the stroll and the ice-cream.

Readers may make up their own minds as to whether such exchanges do any good. Both of them made me feel better. :smile:

Great retort. :thumbsup:

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 1843383, member: 1314"]Not scaffolders though. Leave them alone. No matter what.[/quote]
Nah scaffolders just think they're hard. They rely purely on reputation. If you get cut up by a scaffolders truck just bang loudly on the side and call them bunch of cockwombles.

Then undo a couple of the straps holding the load on and pedal like f*** :tongue:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I usually do it. Whether it does any good or not depends more on the driver than on me. If I judge that someone has endangered me through ignorance or stupidity, then I try to remain calm, polite and constructive. If I judge that the manoeuvre was borne of malice, I treat it more as therapy. A nice elderly fellow passed me at about 40mph six inches from my elbow last week, before turning into a school to pick up what I presume to be his grandchildren. The subsequent exchange went like this:

"You need to give me a WHOLE LOT more room than that."
"I'm sorry. Something was coming the other way and I had to squeeze over."
"You should have seen it coming. You just have to wait. It's really scary when you pass that close."
"I'm sorry"
"OK. Thanks. Just do it differently next time."

He did look a bit scared, mind.

A bit longer ago, two young women roared past me in an open-top vehicle and shouted something along the lines of "Get on the f**king prom!", laughed uproariously between themselves and then turned into a car park (drivers are not the cleverest people). It was the sort of car park one might park in for a stroll along the seafront and an ice-cream. I followed them round it, pulled up behind their car and engaged Calm Psycho mode.

She cooks a mean lamb kofta too, I'm told.

I hate intelligent, articulate, attractive, people of style, wit and talent. Especially gurls.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Had a classic one today reinforcing the feeling that most of the time shouting at drivers is a waste of time and can cause aggrvation .
I was on the way home and at these pinchpoints i always take primary ...
http://g.co/maps/pqg7f
As i get into primary a car tries to squeeze my into the kerb so i shout " waoh ", the driver then pulls onto the grass and jumps out of the in a rage accusing me of sweving into him , he was braking and offering to flatten me .
i ask him if he is threatening me , and he says he is .the gut is a good 6 " taller and a couple of stone heavier and i guess he thinks he can bully me but i will take none of it so i tell him we can call the police and let them sort it out as i can now add threateing behaviour to dangerous driving .

The guy is still raging on and is saying he is a calm guy ( yeah right ) and i should watch out and get a life , then jumps inot his car and drives off .
Considering either taking the rigid MTB or another route tomorrow, not that the guy scared me but why chance it when a change of route /bike for a day to avoid a numpty wiht a couple of tons of steel and a bad attitude can let the situation blow over.

lejogger

Guru
Considering either taking the rigid MTB or another route tomorrow, not that the guy scared me but why chance it when a change of route /bike for a day to avoid a numpty wiht a couple of tons of steel and a bad attitude can let the situation blow over.
Why? For the same reason you don't hand over your lunch money, walk a different way to school, or stay in the classroom at break times when the school bully threatens you! Why on earth should you have to change your habits for fear of your own safety on the road?! Chances are that guy has the same commute as you... are you going to change your job because it's not worth the risk of going that way? Maybe even stop cycling because you don't feel safe knowing he's out there?

If I've learned anything from Steven Spielberg, it's that if you're meek like George McFly you get nowhere in life, but if you stand up for yourself especially when on self propelled wheeled transport, then all bully motorists WILL crash into a truck of manure.

defy-one

Don't change your route, but do avoid any contact with him in future. Both of you have had time to calm down, and have learned from the incident

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Why? For the same reason you don't hand over your lunch money, walk a different way to school, or stay in the classroom at break times when the school bully threatens you! Why on earth should you have to change your habits for fear of your own safety on the road?! Chances are that guy has the same commute as you... are you going to change your job because it's not worth the risk of going that way? Maybe even stop cycling because you don't feel safe knowing he's out there?

If I've learned anything from Steven Spielberg, it's that if you're meek like George McFly you get nowhere in life, but if you stand up for yourself especially when on self propelled wheeled transport, then all bully motorists WILL crash into a truck of manure.

OK.... so me standing my ground in the face of a raging nutter is being meek , not taking his bad driving that nearly killed me meek?.No i did not change my route or the bike anyway ( bit late BTW i left the house at 6 am ) The probelm was i am at the same point on the road every day to within minutes and there are hardely any cycle commuters in these neck of the woods so if the turnip had decided to have another go he had a good chance of remembering me rather than just seeing a cyclelist.

lejogger

Guru
OK.... so me standing my ground in the face of a raging nutter is being meek , not taking his bad driving that nearly killed me meek
Of course not... I really didn't mean to have a go at how you acted, I was just anxious that you shouldn't go out of your way to avoid him... because then he and his bullying ways win.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I prefer to get my word in afterwords, in the calm and quiet on YouTube and via a Roadsafe letter. It's much much more satisfying, and far more likely to be educational for the driver.
This.

There are nutters out there. A number of them carry knives, some of them carry guns, and some of the ones who don't are perfectly prepared to use their vehicle as a weapon.

Jdratcliffe

Just out of interest, if a driver does something to endanger you but immediately apologizes does this help to calm you down at all?
Indeed it does calm me down knowing that theyve seen my and know they done wrong i hope that maybe they have scared themselves that they then are more vigilant.

Top Bottom