Confronting a motorist- is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sabian92

Über Member
Usually not worth it. I got over taken yesterday and missed by inches, told the driver and he just said "you were all over the f*cking road so it's OK"

Before I got chance to reply he shut his door and drove off. I hate people like that.

(I was actually turning right at a roundabout but apparently that constitutes "all over the road")

martint235

Dog on a bike
I frequently do it but then that's just me. I think before you confront a driver you have to ask two questions:

1. What am I looking to gain from this? It's perfectly ok for the answer to this to be "someone to shout at who has just endangered me"
2. If this escalates, what do I do next?

If I can catch a driver after an act of shoot driving them I always confront them. To do otherwise is to give in to bullying. we owe it to ourselves to stand up to these people.

In the (distant) past I had my moments and have had sharp discussions with what I've seen as errant road users. I cannot pretend to have a life of monk-like silence behind me. I do still get cross from time to time, but try not to react. It may be middle age.

Nonetheless, I do not see poor driving as bullying. It may be so on occasion, but I do not think it helpful to classify "shoot driving" as bullying that must be stood up to.

Ignorance, lapses of concentration or just poor observation are not bullying. Instances where one road user puts another in peril through bullying or aggressive intent are thankfully rare.

I fear that an 'anti-bullying' mindset from pro-confrontation cyclists may contribute to an unhelpful further polarisation between groups of road users.

I react in the actual moment. I have an example the other day - coming down a straight road, slight downhill so maintaining just over 25 mph, in primary. Up ahead a car is waiting to pull out, checks, see me and decides 'its only a bike and pulls out'. Luckily I'd seen it coming, seen no traffic coming towards me or junctions on my right, so I simply yelled "NOOOO!" as I pulled into the opposite lane and overtook.

I didn't need to shout - this was already part of my planned response when I had seen the car, but I did so simply in anger at the stupid move. It was a female driver that visibly jumped as I yelled. I then noticed she didn't pass me but hang well back, even when we both later turned off onto a second road.

I've also once paid a visit in uniform to a driver that left hooked me, which to this day is still the nearest moment I've had to being knocked off.

However, I don't like the idea of stopping and remonstrating, simply because I'm concerned if the drivers an arse and wants to get physical. Whilst I am relatively confident in a physical confrontation, I've always been a bit more concerned about starting one whilst astride a bike, wearing cleats. I'm sure an angry driver won't allow me the courtesy of gently putting my bike down safely!

Gez73

Veteran
Hindsight can useful for future instances but I always think of the smartest things long after the situation. This I also put down to middle/near-middle age. Far too little time and too much adrenaline to master a useful or constructive conversation anyway.

Whenever drivers get too close for comfort it's all over & done with so quickly there's no chance to do anything than grumble to myself. I wouldn't say anything to a driver anyway even if I did have an opportunity to; partially because drivers have never got dangerously close to me and partially because I'd be afraid that it would escalate into an unpleasant confrontation.

lejogger

Guru
If I can catch a driver after an act of shoot driving them I always confront them. To do otherwise is to give in to bullying. we owe it to ourselves to stand up to these people.

If it's done in the right way then there's no problem with this. It's hard not to be angry though if you feel like you just been placed in danger by the actions of someone's poor driving, and aggressive confrontation isn't useful to anyone.

I've confronted in the past - and at the very least (if I catch up) I give a stare, or a shake of the head, or some other (polite) shrug or gesture to let the driver know that I'm not happy with them. Obviously you should be prepared to deal with any consequenses that may arise as a result, and you confront at your own risk.

Other times I've tried to have a conversation or point out driver error, and it's usually futile, but I like to think that as a minimum, even if they don't believe that they've done anything wrong they will most likely question themselves and their driving and hopefully be more careful the next time they pass one of us.
I posted on here a couple of months ago about a foul mouth tirade I received when I tried to point out to a guy at the lights that he'd passed me dangerously close. When he overtook me half a mile down the road he continued screeching at me through the window, but at least this time it was from a distance of a couple of metres... I'd say that's a win :thumbsup:

It's very much a personality thing, but I know if I didn't say something or show my displeasure when I had a chance to it would gnaw at me for the rest of the day. Others find it easier to let go.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Very rarely worth it, even more rare that it ends well (in that you end up with a positive experience), especially if you are not confident in your body-language or commitment.

I've said it befor , but unless you are very confident that you can finish an argument, then try to avoid starting one.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Very rarely worth it, even more rare that it ends well (in that you end up with a positive experience), especially if you are not confident in your body-language or commitment.

I've said it befor , but unless you are very confident that you can finish an argument, then try to avoid starting one.
In other words, always plan your exit strategy before you make your entrance.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I got blocked in by a Van, approaching a line of parked cars, Van new full well what he was doing as I has frustrated his progress down a hill by being in the middle and behind a car in front, caught up with them and pulled along side and said cutting me up gained you a lot of time, his retort was **** off. Benefit of hindsight builders van with three blokes in it was not the most sensible thing to do. Sometimes I just cannot help myself which is disappointing!

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've only done it once, the other week. I was completely in the right, having been beeped at and shouted at for being in primary at a pinch point, but I still felt like a prat afterwards.

Losing your temper is never a good luck.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Hindsight can useful for future instances but I always think of the smartest things long after the situation. This I also put down to middle/near-middle age. Far too little time and too much adrenaline to master a useful or constructive conversation anyway.

Yeah all I remember saying yesterday is "it's on camera".How pathetic is that?

Shrimp_Stu

On one occasion on a close pass, I remonstrated with the driver who had seen my one fingered salute but not the rest of me. Additionally, I pointed out that my bike was worth considerably more than his car so he should show me some respect. ^_^^_^

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Is it worth it? Depends very much on what you hope to achieve by doing it...

inspire the driver to mend their ways? utterly pointless

let you blow off some steam? may have its place, though I'd suggest finding another, more constructive, way to do that.

I know but im tempted sometimes to say,you've almost taken my life once,do you want another go?

Top Bottom