Cost of bathroom refurbishment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You can get a complete shower bath (P shape) Basin, pedestal and close coupled WC with all tha brassware for £499 Patrick, if you are not that fussy about 'marque' etc...and it's on a pallet to take away in the 4x4

Here.

snakehips said:
For labour try your local fire station , that's where our guy came from. From what I hear most firemen have a sideline to occupy their time between shifts. It does mean however that your job gets done at odd times.
Just ring the fire station and when they ask what service do you require , tell them 'plumbing and electrical'
http://www.yudu.com/item/details/28055/Snakehips--Bikes-

guess what I do for my full time job;)

gbb

Legendary Member
Aperitif said:
You can get a complete shower bath (P shape) Basin, pedestal and close coupled WC with all tha brassware for £499 Patrick, if you are not that fussy about 'marque' etc...and it's on a pallet to take away in the 4x4

Here.

P shaped paths, they look fabulous. My SIL has one.....wait till you try to fill it :thumbsup:
She dare'nt use it for anything other than showers. The time it takes to fill, amd the amount of hot water needed will empty your wallet come the gas bill day:biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
gbb said:
P shaped paths, they look fabulous. My SIL has one.....wait till you try to fill it :thumbsup:
She dare'nt use it for anything other than showers. The time it takes to fill, amd the amount of hot water needed will empty your wallet come the gas bill day:biggrin:
Ha, tell me about it... and there are 3 women in the FF house... but, they're good for sharing :blush:

Night Train

Maker of Things
Fab Foodie said:
Ha, tell me about it... and there are 3 women in the FF house... but, they're good for sharing :blush:
What! You share out the 3 women in your household?:thumbsup:
:ohmy:

Seriously though, big baths are good for sharing and you need less water in them when you share.

I prefer deep baths and so I am hanging onto my old, deep, cast iron bath for as long as possible.

Fab Foodie said:
Ha, tell me about it... and there are 3 women in the FF house... but, they're good for sharing :ohmy:

Good for P ing in too - :smile:

Mickle - interesting comment as my plumber has just fitted one in his daughter's house and thinks 'it is the business'.

I have been fitting a bathroom since about November :thumbsup: - long story but it involves a P shaped shower bath from Ideal Standard. Not cheap and with an okey cokey 2000 low level waste blah blah. A perfct install was followed by me going to Paris for a piss up little wine tasting. I returned on the Sunday evening, took a look at the bath and it had decided to fracture! To cut a short version of a long story even shorter, we fitted the 'free' replacement one last Wednesday and, as I went to clip the waste trap over the factory fitted / bonded waste connector the bloody thing parted company from the bath :sad:

After the original problem - which was diagnosed as fibreglass delamination etc by the technical rep who called in just before Christmas, - I had checked out a lot of quality issues like that and found B&Q finished work to be pretty good. (At least in comparison with Ideal Standard fibreglass work.) Ideal Standard baths are stamped made in the UK. I imagine B&Q are made in the Far East or Eastern Europe?

idfatw.jpg

A tesco torch helped illustrate the issue. The replacement is similar in composition.

And the waste fitting...:blush:

Aper, maybe they've improved but I had terrible trouble three of four years ago with their own brand pans not being cast very accurately and the fixtures and fittings being sub standard. I remember spending a day driving round all the B&Qs in Bristol because the pan I bought, and in every box I opened had a crack in the same place.
I spent a few months working as a display installer for a posh Bristol bathroom retailer before I got this job and the difference in quality between B&Q stuff and brands like Duravit really is quite astonishing. It's like comparing a Carrera Subway with a Trek Madone.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the best inexpensive steel baths are by Bette - a German firm. If you can stretch to a heavier gauge of steel then do so - 3.2mm is good, but bear in mind the weight. They're available from builders merchants. Fibre glass baths are not nice, in my view, and I've seen plenty of £10,000 fibre glass jobbies. Steel has an altogether more comforting, more secure feel to it. Your bottom deserves steel.

Basins and w.c.s - check the dimensions carefully. Basins vary from under 50cm wide to well over a metre, but, as a general rule the more ornate 'period' basins are wider, and clumsier looking. If you're stuck for space then the old Ideal Standard Studio range is good, and will never date.

One thing that you really should do if you're changing the sanitaryware is to take the opportunity to take up the floor and check the pipe runs. If you live in an old house the chances are reasonable that some idiot plumber has run pipes through the joists in the wrong location - notching either the top or the bottom rather than drilling a hole through the centre. Those joists should be strengthened.

If, like Patrick, you're getting on in years, consider how you're going to use the bathroom in ten or fifteen years time. Manoeuvring space around the w.c. is important, lever taps are good (there are some stylish ones about), towel rails can double up as support rails if they're securely fixed, that kind of thing. You can always go to Help the Aged for advice. Those grab rails on baths aren't pretty, but none of us, least of all Patrick, are getting younger. Having a different colour wall tile might not be too attractive, but if your sight is failing having spent long hours poring over legal documents.........

Don't go to bathstore.com unless they can assure you that the fittings for the sanitaryware will be available in 15 years time...(or even fifteen months time).

To be honest I detest expensive bathrooms. I've done them from £2000 to £150,000 and the cheaper ones are always the best. Simplicity is all. Getting the tile layout right is the single most important thing. You'll see that Stedlocks has just about hit it spot on, and, for such a small bathroom it really does look unfussed and uncrowded. The rest, or pretty much all of the rest, is rubbish. I'm willing to bet that if I walked into Patrick's bathroom I'd urge him to keep the old stuff, and just spruce it up a bit.

Floor tiles in bathrooms are, in my view, a bad idea. Lino is best, although you should be aware that it fails the slip resistance test, so I'm disclaiming all responsibility. And, finally, does anybody still have one of those bathroom 'sets' which are basically two bits of fluffy rug, one of which is U-shaped, and goes round the 'loo'? I reckon that they're about to be chic again. Rumour has it that Nicky Haslam has one in his bathroom.

Top Bottom