Cragg Vale Loop Sunday 21st

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
yep. but just remember i'm on a brommie so not the fastest rider in the world

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
bromptonfb said:
already snowing here since 1pm kinda sticking
I hadn't really thought about it much before, but it has become increasingly obvious from your snow/ice reports and those from elsewhere in the region this winter that we have a micro-climate down here in Hebden Bridge which is much milder than that of the surrounding hills.

The town centre is at an altitude of about 100 m whereas the surrounding hills go up to 400+ m. That's a lot of shelter!

One June I was out 'on the tops' and got caught out in a freak violent storm. One minute I was riding along in warm sunshine, the next I was battered by torrential rain which must have been at about 0.5 degrees C. I was shivering violently within seconds and had to get off the bike because my hands had gone completely numb and I couldn't grip the bars. 5 minutes later, it was a nice sunny day again!

On another occasion, I got caught in a hailstorm which was so violent that cars had to stop because so much ice had been deposited on the roads in a short period of time. That was really nasty - it felt like 200 people with air rifles were shooting at me!

Both times, I got back to the town and nobody here had been aware of the bad weather only about 8 miles away.

ColinJ

I'll do what I did last weekend - get up at 07:45 and look out the window. If it is snowing, I'll go straight back to bed!

Don't hang about for me folks, If I'm coming you will meet me on the road somewhere.

Svendo

Guru
I can't make it as I'm working this weekend. Cragg Vale will be passable I reckon, it was on Tuesday. (Unlike A640/B6114 Marsden Moor on Monday when I pushed on anyway, mile and half of hard pack/ice with gale force crosswind, got a bit chilly!) I think you'll get wet though.

ColinJ

I just walked up to Heptonstall and back down. I could see a few patches of snow on distant hilltops but that was it. It has been dreary and damp here all day, but much milder than of late.

There is supposed to be a strong wind from the N/NE. That would mean a tailwind for once going up the Cragg Vale climb.

I could handle damp and dreary but there are still forecasts of sleet for tomorrow. I'll get up in time and make a snow-check.

Top Bottom