Criterium du Dauphine ( spoilers )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I think of those as roads that look flat on a route map but when you come to ride them you discover that they actually drag up at 1-2%.

There are a few here that used to catch me out. They feel hard for no apparent reason. Tackle them in the other direction and it becomes obvious - 40 km/hr, no problem!

I know, but the commentators know what the incline is, so rather than continually say "..then an uphill false flat.." they could say, "..a shallow gradient of 2% followed by ..." and that way I would be able to watch the TV without swearing at it :smile:

I'd like to register my mild dislike of the term "false flat" too. Doesn't make me swear at the telly, just roll my eyes almost imperceptibly.

Chr1st on a bike, I use it all the time - and so do MANY cyclists, both of my acquaintance, and in the wider world. EVERYONE knows what it means, and it's as concise as a concise thing.

What's next on the hit list? Weathermen saying "it will be warmer tomorrow".

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Chr1st on a bike, I use it all the time - and so do MANY cyclists, both of my acquaintance, and in the wider world. EVERYONE knows what it means, and it's as concise as a concise thing.

What's next on the hit list? Weathermen saying "it will be warmer tomorrow".

:smile:

OK, I am riding on a false flat, am I going up or down ?

:smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Seriously? You don't know what it means? If you're admitting ignorance, that is fine, no-one knows everything ... but the smiley blizzard doesn't really help convey your intent, sorry.

False flat means, I believe, something that is not flat, but which may fool the casual observer into thinking it is. For example "I hit a patch of rough road and thought I might have a puncture, but it proved to be a false flat" See also: maisonette.

How am I doing?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
False flat means, I believe, something that is not flat, but which may fool the casual observer into thinking it is. For example "I hit a patch of rough road and thought I might have a puncture, but it proved to be a false flat" See also: maisonette.

How am I doing?

"
See also: maisonette."
Got a genuine laugh out loud

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Seriously? You don't know what it means? If you're admitting ignorance, that is fine, no-one knows everything ... but the smiley blizzard doesn't really help convey your intent, sorry.

No, really I don't, I know it is a shallow rise or drop, but not which one. But it is more the continued use on ITV4, when it conveys no real information about how steep it is - or isn't

No, really I don't, I know it is a shallow rise or drop, but not which one. But it is more the continued use on ITV4, when it conveys no real information about how steep it is - or isn't

Aha! Well it means a shallow rise. It's of note because to a cyclist they're very frustrating - you seem to be struggling even though the road LOOKS flat. More of a psychological/morale obstacle than a physical one!

Top Bottom