cycling whilst physically tired ( is it beneficial)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
If you're tired in an evening but still want to get out (can be good to help you relax), how about just going for a 10 mile bimble at no more than around 10-12 mph average, and enjoying the scenery. Keep it gentle and it will be almost as good as a rest, physically, but you still get the enjoyment and it may well help you to sleep better etc.
And what ^^ steve said about not staying up too late and watching TV.

My OH is always tired in the mornings, and I reckon that has at least something to do with going to bed late after playing computer games!

doog

Thank you all for the good advice given. This morning my legs still feel like there full of concrete. I think I will begrudgingly take a day off today from cycling and go out tomorrow instead. I bet the fitter guys will probably find this post quite amusing because they probably treat my epic milage ( to me ) as a warm up session.:-))
It may be just me feeling run down at the moment as I have summer cold and I'm not getting a decent night sleep from it.
Anyway I best get ready for work now
Take care all and have yourselves a good day :-)
Johnny

Agree with others, don't over do it and take a rest day. If you're feeling run down I would take more than a day off. Run down / summer cold / no sleep / legs full of concrete....all may be because you're overdoing it. What you don't want to happen is for these things to accumulate and suddenly cycling become a chore rather than enjoyable, you lose your mojo and suddenly you'e wondering how much your bike is worth on ebay. Worst case scenario I know but I'd guess it happens with a large percentage of the population. It obvious you're not lacking motivation just yet however ^_^

Kajjal

Guru
Just make sure you have rest days to let your body recover and build fitness. Eating fresh fruit, veg, meat and fish helps overall. Also listen to your body, if you keep getting colds or injuries you may just be over doing it.

Main thing is enjoy every minute of it.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Your weekly routine sounds the same as mine, i'm 46 and I cycle up to four times a day, 100 miles plus a week.
I'm always tired, but I know exactly why.

Take a rest day once in a while - I know it is hard to stop but you need to re-charge.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thank you all for the valuable advice given. I will take everything on board and follow all your good advice. Sorry if I'm a little brief but I'm on my launch break at the the moment :-)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It's also about whether you are alert and aware on the road, I know if I am tired I make more mistakes, and I will change my route to avoid the more difficult parts.
I do the same, I stick to the paths when I'm very tired.
Also when I'm worried or angry about something, I know that my concentration is not going to be the best, so I avoid motorized traffic.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Do too much and cycling will become a chore.

My work is more mentally draining than physical so cycling home after a 12 hour shift makes me feel less tired in an odd way.

Your legs wont fall off if you have a day or two off and you will come back to it fresh and probably faster.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm firmly in the rest days camp, it's really critical for your body. Even though I'm currently training for an event I'm doing a maximum 5 days a week (and often only 4 a week) training, even though that training is sometimes running and walking (so not cycling at all). After a couple of days off a bike, your legs feel hugely refreshed when you get back on. Listen to those legs, in fact listen to your body overall, it's telling you what it needs, and sometimes what it needs is to recover and build.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi to all. This may sound a bit of a stupid question ( which I am lol ) but it regards cycling when you are physically tired. Every night after work I've been venturing out in my bike doing anything between 15 miles to 20 on each ride. It's almost become an addiction and now that I'm a sad old git who lives by my self i actually enjoy getting out in the evening and watch the world go by , ( or should I say goes by me at the pace I do ). My main goal is to get fit once again and at the moment I'm averaging around 14/ 15 mph on each ride . So when I do feel physically drained after working all day and find it hard going cycling, it makes me wonder whether or not its beneficial to cycle while feeling like this. On the one hand I ride slower but I still manage to put the miles in ,so would this be of less benefit to me against going out when I'm feeling like Chris Froome lol. . On the other hand though I sometimes think cycling whilst tired is probably good for you because it helps you push harder to maintain a respectable pace and pushing tired legs muscles will gain strength quicker.
I just wandering what would be your views on this be , as you are all no doubt more experienced and informed than me
Many thanks for reading and any advice is always highly appreciated
Johnny

When it comes to fitness and training, most will talk about the exercise. Some will take nutrition seriously. A few will pay attention to sleep and recovery. Not many will even consider the social and emotional needs we have as relevant...

If you want to go out on a summer evening and watch the world go by, for heavens sake go out! :smile:

Health and happiness go hand in hand.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
If you want to go out on a summer evening and watch the world go by, for heavens sake go out! :smile:

I agree with that, but only up to a point... when your legs are hurting because you've been "watching the world go by" quite hard, every day, wouldn't you advocate an evening at the pub* or similar now and then?

(* Insert your own rest method here - this happens to be my favourite)

Tin Pot

Guru
I agree with that, but only up to a point... when your legs are hurting because you've been "watching the world go by" quite hard, every day, wouldn't you advocate an evening at the pub* or similar now and then?

(* Insert your own rest method here - this happens to be my favourite)

Here are key points I've picked up on from the OP and I think the most important is to be out there and enjoying himself.

The concern is whether he is benefiting from it, and he is physically and psychologically.

If the OP had said he was training 21 hrs a week to raise his FTP from 350 to 400 for an ironman next July and had a hectic social life, I might have answered differently. :smile:

(Beer at pub is a given!)

400bhp

Guru
Sensible post from tinpot. So long as you are not ill or have a medical condition, then the mileage (and more pertinent, time in the saddle) it won't do you any harm.

rossw46

This month I swore I'd complete the Strava 1250KM for the month challenge. From the 1st to the 16th, I cycled 767KM or 477 miles. I then had an unplanned week off due to holiday + extreme weather (we stayed in Newquay, right on the beach where very sadly that family got pulled out to sea, I took the bike, but it didn't leave the car), I started again on the 23rd after getting home from Newquay - 23/08 50 and 29 KM, 24/08 61KM, 25/08 50 and 35 KM, and today 54KM. My legs are so tired, but I think I've got a problem, I'm addicted to going out, and did loads of new routes the past few days to curb boredom of the same route, I've got to get out and do 50KM minimum for the next 4 days to achieve my goal, but I'm looking forward to it ! In short - I think now that tired legs are more a mental issue, I've cycled further this month than I did in both 2012 and 2013 (all 12 months !)

Top Bottom