Cyclist Slams Into Stone Wall...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I've used that road on my Catrike Trail recumbent trike and 50mph is easy to reach in places, but the SLOW signs are their for the wise! I did manage to get all three wheels off the ground over a 'slight' hump, which concentrates the mind wonderfully, even if you are now sitting a touch higher.:ohmy:

Mod note: please do not turn this into a helmet debate!
If you really want to discuss the helmet aspects of this accident, please start a separate thread in the helmet forum.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/are-cameras-tougher-than-skulls.186523/

Last edited by a moderator:
In the article he says "“I came over the top of the brow, didn’t realise it was an ‘S’ bend and judged it wrong."
I was going to suggest he might have lost concentration due to tiredness. I've nearly run into a kerb that was exactly where it should be after midnight on a 600km Audax. But it's 150miles in 3 days. If he had trained, he should be fresh as a daisy.

Of course, if he was very confident of doing the distance with ease, maybe he over indulged the night before?

Is that video sped up as it appears he is going at some speed in the wet and down hill.
The video is missing a lot of frames. Not convinced it isn't sped up quite a lot.

Interesting factoid. The NHS estimates it spends more on treating such sporting injuries than the victims actually raise for charity.
Really? Seeing as the DfT says the ambulance and medical costs of treating all cyclist KSIs across the UK in one year come to around £45 million and one single event raises more than a quarter of that amount for charity the other events must be paying cyclists to fall off.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Really? Seeing as the DfT says the ambulance and medical costs of treating all cyclist KSIs across the UK in one year come to around £45 million and one single event raises more than a quarter of that amount for charity the other events must be paying cyclists to fall off.
I suspect he meant than the victims raise for charity, not that all the participants in the events raise for charity between them.

No idea whether or not he is right, though!

Perhaps it'd be cheaper and easier for the NHS to sponsor people not to do these events?

I'm am, of course, not one jot against sporting injuries being treated. Nevertheless, it does raise an interesting conundrum when sponsored sporting events end up costing the nation more money than the charities receive from these endeavours.

I reckon that clarifies the perception if not any actual facts.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I reckon we're entitled to get sporting injuries treated - most of us won't be getting treatment for diabetes/heart disease! (or at least, not as soon in life as the couch potatoes!)
You do realise that if you eat crap and generally don't take care of yourself, cycling probably won't save you from them? OK, you'll be better off than a couch potato that neglects themselves, but isn't everyone?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
You do realise that if you eat crap and generally don't take care of yourself, cycling probably won't save you from them? OK, you'll be better off than a couch potato that neglects themselves, but isn't everyone?
yup - my remark was at least partly tongue in cheek!

Reactions: mjr

Tim Hall

And then he contradicted himself, which is a relatively frequent occurrence. Since he didn't give any source, I strongly suspect that the idea is made up rubbish of the urban myth variety.
Mis remembered perhaps. And based on my vague recollection of something else (charity parachute jumps, not charity "stuff" in general), I found this:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10476298

All parachute injuries from two local parachute centres over a 5-year period were analysed. Of 174 patients with injuries of varying severity, 94% were first-time charity-parachutists. The injury rate in charity-parachutists was 11% at an average cost of 3751 Pounds per casualty. Sixty-three percent of casualties who were charity-parachutists required hospital admission, representing a serious injury rate of 7%, at an average cost of 5781 Pounds per patient. The amount raised per person for charity was 30 Pounds. Each pound raised for charity cost the NHS 13.75 Pounds in return. Parachuting for charity costs more money than it raises, carries a high risk of serious personal injury and places a significant burden on health resources.

Drago

Legendary Member

I believe it's all sporting charity efforts, from marathons through to parachuting, not just cycling alone. In essence they're taking money from the NHS, chucking a bit away, and redistributing it around different charities. In the grand scheme of things it may be morally very fulfilling, but financially it's highly inefficient.

I believe it's all sporting charity efforts, from marathons through to parachuting, not just cycling alone. In essence they're taking money from the NHS, chucking a bit away, and redistributing it around different charities. In the grand scheme of things it may be morally very fulfilling, but financially it's highly inefficient.

You believe your own factoid?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There are some very inexperienced and/or reckless riders about.

I rode a sportive a few years back in very wet and windy conditions. I am usually not slow downhill, often hitting 50+ mph, but on that day conditions were not right so I kept my speed down to what I considered safe. I was getting overtaken (on both sides!!!) by people doing at least 20 mph more than me. I thought it was crazy at the time and I was speaking to one of the organisers afterwards who said that at least 2 riders came to grief on this bend ...

Spot the bend.jpg

You can see it coming from way back, there are an S-bend sign, several SLOW warnings on the road, a big chevron sign, and a road which very obviously snakes round to the right between 2 reservoirs. Despite that, riders failed to make the bend. One slammed into the wall. The other was found later behind the wall with a broken leg - he had been launched over the wall when he hit the kerb at high speed, breaking the limb on the top of the wall as he passed over it. BONKERS! :wacko:

Top Bottom